X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car lost the power in one day

Hi!
    im really depressed with my car.

I bought Vxr 2 months ago. It was running nice, and it have some basic mods on it. Exhaust is Scorpion.
    So i drove car 8 weeks and its sweet. Every time when i changed bigger gear it had that nice "Pow" sound on exhaust that i really felt love in..

​​​​​​I had to check how much we have power, and i got 267Hp and 410NW.

​​​​​​no problems with car and win every Bmw that came side to me... Lol

-But then everything changed......

5 days ago, when i was casual driving, i mark that exhaust was not that loud and didint get any bang from exhaust. Also the car felt like 1.0 L Clio. Car was running okay if driving low rpm. But if putting feet on the floor it felt like power is not going to behind, its more like cold engine and screaming under the foot awful to me when 3k+ rpm...

Okay. I checked turbos bypass, i check everything from engine no leaks . Distributon ok. No error codes.
    lambda 2 i got some from diagnostic only..
    Then 2 days i drove with low power. And when i then one time took 5k rpm. We got Cylinder errors 1, 3. Okay it was coilpack?

Yesterday i changed coilpack and took battery away 30mins. I got error codes away with that.
    ​​​​​​now yes car is running and i can drive. BUT If i want speed up its still feels so poor. Still no bang voices from SCORPION exhaust. Feels like when taking boost the engine just scream? Like small donkey... And no boost going to exhaust anymore...

That exhaust thing is easiest way to me tell the difference..

So what is going on. Turbo is taking normal boost. I have BSR boost meter.

Spark plugs are 0,6mm ngk platinium. Coilpack is 1 day old ( not cheapest)

​I havent canceled error codes, because there is non anymore.
    but yea, my vxr have lost 150hp and 1.0 L from engine...

All cylinder pressure is checked.

Whole Finland ​​​appreciate if someone can help. Its not long way to put forward. Thanks and sorry my awful english

​​​

​​​​​​
    ​​​​​​

​​
    ​​​​​​
    ​​​

If it was me I would check the actuator rod has not snapped or that the waste gate has not got stuck against the exhaust downpipe vband clamp

They do some times get jammed against the vband clamp if the clamp is not aligned properly

If it has got jammed basically the wastegate penny valve is permanently stuck open hence why you cannot build any boost

See pic below

It's either snapped like the picture or the part with the two 10mm nuts is stuck against the exhaust vband clamp

https://s1169.photobucket.com/user/n...pbw8f.jpg.html

Hope this helps
    Last edited by Andyb712; 17 May 2020, 11:50 AM.
    2009 Astra H Vxr arden blue uprated gearbox endcase with bigger bearings, 3" cobra catback non res with toyosport 2.5 double decat, mtc crossover delete and tophat

Planning to go stage 3/3.5 eventually

Comment

Hi thanks. I checked this and ask with pics from my friend. There is room enought!

https://i.imgur.com/HRryCUb.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Nikkepet View Post
        Hi thanks. I checked this and ask with pics from my friend. There is room enought!

https://i.imgur.com/HRryCUb.jpg
        That looks ok and doesn't look jammed open so a few other things to check are a boost hose might have come loose and possibly a faulty or dirty MAF sensor can occasionally cause misfires

Did you change the spark plugs for new ones when you changed the coil pack ?

Also do you have a spanner light or eml on the dash cluster?

And have you done a pedal test for error codes?

Your English is not the best but it's ok from the way you describe it in your 1st post it almost sounds like your in limp mode

Do a pedal test and post the ecn codes here if their are any
        Last edited by Andyb712; 17 May 2020, 04:15 PM.
        2009 Astra H Vxr arden blue uprated gearbox endcase with bigger bearings, 3" cobra catback non res with toyosport 2.5 double decat, mtc crossover delete and tophat

Comment

Ok. I can try to clean MAF. Thnx

Spark plugs where changed 2 weeks before the cylinder errors and engine light. And i check them where still okay. So only coilpack.

No lights on dash cluster. Yea have done . And shows ecn00000.
          ​​​​​​
          Yea. I also have thinking that limp mode possible. But shouldnt the limp mode bring some error code?no?

​​​​​​And i havent clear errors with obd yet...

But how u get limp mode away then?

Hah, yea but may still better than Wish Customer service english skills 😂

​​​​​
          Last edited by Nikkepet; 17 May 2020, 04:45 PM.

Comment

That is a strange one then ecn00000 means no faults and no limp mode

So basically your problem is no turbo power ?

Have you fixed the misfires ?

Basically the car drives like a naturally aspirated engine with no turbo/boost power?
            Last edited by Andyb712; 17 May 2020, 04:48 PM.

Comment

Yeas. Turbo bsr meter shows correct bars. But car just is not moving light. Like cold engine. Maybe must try to drive first over 1 hour.

Yea just like that. On daily " women driving" seems normal. But when wanting speed up and put all the down it takes 3 seconds before starting boost the car.
              Last edited by Nikkepet; 17 May 2020, 08:46 PM.

Comment

Ok this might be your your problem the wastegate seating area is prone to cracking on these cars

A way to check without taking the turbo off is remove the exhaust downpipe and have a look from underneath with a torch

If you undo the two 10mm nuts on the end of the actuator were it connects to the wastegate arm, you will be able to open the wastegate penny valve by hand

The all get cracked eventually if the cracks gets big enough like the photo below you start to bleed boost

So you still have boost but just not full

These turbos are very prone to this once the turbo gets old enough

It's like the wastegate penny valve is very slightly open when it should be closed to allow the turbo to spool up

So basically if this happens and the cracks get big enough the turbo cannot spool up properly

See picture below

https://cliosport.net/attachments/14...1-jpg.1152227/

This is a common problem in any turbo application with an internal wastegate

Just do a google image search for cracked wastegate housing

My old turbo had 3 different cracks in it when I swapped it for a new one this might not be your problem but it's worth having a look/check just rule it out

While you are in there with exhaust off check your end float and side to side movement on the actual turbo core/chra

Plenty of videos on youtube on how to do this
                Last edited by Andyb712; 17 May 2020, 10:24 PM.

Comment

One other thing to check is it could be as simple as a worn out faulty actuator with a weak spring or a split rubber diaphragm that's opening the wastegate to soon

A simple test for a weak actuator is to disconnect the vacuum hose running from the the boost control solenoid to the actuator, like the picture below

Go for a little drive if the boost feels normal there is your problem

Don't go crazy when you drive it as it will most likely overboost like crazy just a short test drive will do

See pic below for the vacuum hose to disconnect the one connected to the top of the actuator

http://mapw.co.uk/blog/wp-content/up...81544280-O.jpg

It's up to you which thing you check 1st

But if it was me i would order a new actuator and while waiting for it I would check for the cracked wastegate and for excessive play in the core

Here is a vid to explain things a little better

Unfortunately this type of problem is trial and error until you find the issue

https://youtu.be/bTyyAz6kf5U
                  Last edited by Andyb712; 17 May 2020, 11:23 PM.

Comment

I took test drive without hosepipe top of the actuator. No difference.

I got finally some sound sample. Hope this give some help.

https://youtu.be/CUg3VfqVKY4

Comment

So you will have to check the wastegate for cracks and the chra/core for damage

Like in the video I linked for you

what's the mileage on the car?

Comment

https://youtu.be/ZIjmNYwcDJ8

And this other. Now when i got warmed engine. It having that ugly voice. But turbo seems having fun... Really hope these tell you something. All sound is coming front if asking me. Im scared, some will tell soon im crazy or my engine is done

Comment

Last idea I can think of is a cracked exhaust manifold or the studs have come loose that hold the manifold in place

You will have to remove the heatshield and take a look

See this thread for pics

https://www.vxronline.co.uk/forum/ch...ks-in-manifold

Other than the info I have given you I'm fresh outta ideas bro

Comment

Ok. Thanks i will check these.

Did you heard the ugly voice on my vids ?
                            Last edited by Nikkepet; 18 May 2020, 12:39 PM.

Comment

Car is 230k kilometers. Turbo where changed on 90k kilometers. I may still change the lambda 2... If its it

Comment

Working...
                              X