X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New car choice

Hello I'm a newbie.
    i currently drive a Clio 182 and am now looking to upgrade to bigger and better!
    A VXR is my number one choice but i have a few questions i want some honest (not dealer) answers to:
    1. my fuel economy in clio is 30 - 35 on the computer, general combined driving, i know the VXR will be lower (worse) but what do you guys actually get?
    2. 19" wheels? holy crap, what do new rubber bands for them cost? is it worth staying on standard 18's? and how long are you getting on them?
    3. what are the VX dealers like and their service? Renault are truly truly dreadful.
    4. other choices are Focus ST (huge waiting list - common?), or Megane 225 with CUP chassis? any comparisons?
    Thanks

Hi Clive,
    Welcome to the forum. I can't comment on some of the question as we don't have an Astra.
    With reference to the dealers of course each one will be different. My own is truly fantastic when it comes to customer care. They have only ever sold 1 Vectra VXR (ours) and although they are not experienced on everything on the car they do really work very hard, including accomodating me when I drop in at a moments notice for small adjustments.
    I believe there are a few people on here that have swapped orders for ST's for Astra and having now seen a few ST's around I think the Astra is the better looking car by a long shot.
    Our car has 19" wheels and I have driven an Astra on 19"'s and I haven't found the car uncomfortable (unlike some other performance cars running on such big wheels). I can't comment on the cost of tyre replacement
    Someone will be along shortly to answer your Astra specific questions.

Comment

Thanks Catherine, sounds promising.
      also, my local dealer is offering their demo for 17,999 with the 19" wheels?
      i'm pretty sure this is a bit on the expensive side and i could probably pick up a brand new one for less, i.e. broadspeed etc.
      will dealers be receptive to a bit haggling?
      Ta.

Comment

Clive,
        As you are up north, have a look at Perry's website. They have a red one with 19" wheels for just under £17K. Not sure on the other aspects of the specification.
        To give you an idea on fuel economy, our Vectra does between 25 and 30 depending on how it is driven. I would have thought you would get a similar if not marginally better figure from the Astra, but again it depends on how you drive it.

Comment

Hi there,
          Some short answers to your questions...
          I've now done 3500 miles in my VXR (majority motorway) and are averaging 32.4mpg (better than my former CTR)
          19" win hands down on the 'bling value', although the 18's are reported to be better on the handling front. Surveys suggest 7 out of 10 VXR owners have gone for 19's. Presumably, we don't mind circa £175 a throw!
          There are many message threads on best deals - see both this and the Astra SRI forum. Its rumoured that Broadspeed can't deliver the promise and that certainly up to March 31st, dealers were chucking them out (loaded) at better deals than you have been offered.
          On dealer quality, its a bit early to say, but I can only speak for Pentagon Derby who sourced mine and were much better than your average Arthur Daley.
          Finally.... the ST? I faced the same choice and it was easy..as much as it has a nice grunt and lots of 'poke' its just so bland and feels like you're driving any other Focus.
          Be warned.. once you have the VXR your next challenge wil be managing the hankering for a full Milltek and Stage 2 remap (I'm weakening - but the wife isn't!)
          I hope you get sorted quick and enjoy your VXR!

Comment

Thanks pal, damn it looks like i've got to have those wheels!
            Is this the most expensive hobby or what?

Comment

When I first picked mine up I drove back on the Motorway at a steady 70mpg and was touching 35mpg, this will be much lower urban but I havent done enough to tell yet.
              I think the 'runner bands' are about £200 Ea but I always get tyre insurance so at lease you only replace them when they are worn out. All punctures are replaced and even if you get a puncture on all 4 tyres just when they need replacing they still pay you out!!!!! Comfort is absolutly fine, I last had a MINI on 17's run flat with sports + suspension and the VXR is like a waterbed in comparison!
              Focus looks and feels very average, megane is OK but again not a patch on the VXR. There isnt another car on the market I would even consider.

Comment

70mph obviously not mpg! that from typing after midnight and after a few pints!

Comment

Working...
                X