Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you could pick one fault with the VXR...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you could pick one fault with the VXR...

What would it be......?
    Well after nearing a week of ownership I have tried hard to find a fault and on the whole the car is perfect as I have sung and danced about already.
    However, being the most **** of people when it comes to the cosmetics of the car I have found fault with just one thing - the 19" wheels.
    As a rule I wash the wheels once a week to prevent build up of brake dust and this also ensures that I have never had to use any of these alloy wheel cleaners that are on the market!
    So imagine my disappointment on close inspection of the alloys to find that due to their finish (painted and laquered) that they scratch very very easily and I dont use a crap wheel brush either - Meguiars one is about the best out where. Furthermore I have noticed that one spoke on the back driverside has a few black marks in it - thinking they could be tar I attacked them with the trusty autoglym tar remover to find that they were in fact stone chips that had chipped both the laquer and the paint away leaving a visible "hole" in the finish. Upon checking the other wheels I also found the finish of the wheel to fluctuate vastly in places - some areas are as smooth as a babies behind (which is what you expect from a laquered wheel) where as other areas feel rough feel to them as if the laquer is thin here or non existent. I had this very problem with a set of Aftermarket wheel with the same kinda painted and laquered finish and I ended up claming on the warranty for new wheels. You would have thought that Vauxhall would have done alot more to design a harder wearing wheel on their flagship hatch bearing in mind that the 19"s are also a £500 upgrade too!
    I will be discussing this with dealer and Vauxhall later this week and if I have no joy then the wheels will be coming off to be professionally powder coated or refurbed locally to try and give them abit more protection cos I cant accept how these wheels have got after only seeing 3 months road use
    Sorry to whinge guys but I think problems need to be addressed as well as the good stuff to give a balanced view of things

Three things for me I'm afraid
    Gearknob, rougher than Vicky Pollard
    Steering Wheel, not a lot more class than Vicky
    Seat height - no I'm not a dwarf
    Jonathan

Comment

Although I don't own an Astra but have driven quite a few i Think the driver seat needs sorting, height wise and especially as you can't slide it forward on the runners for those to get in the back. Oh the other thing a temp gauge, think this car should have one personally.

Comment

Totally Agree about the seat. You seam to be sitting on the car rather than in it.

Comment

I know what you mean about the height issue - I am 6'1 and the rear view mirror provides somewhat of a black spot when I am driving cos its right in my line of sight - but thats something I have had to put up with - even funnier when my mate who is 6'4 got in - his head was smacking the roof Thing I cant understand with the Recaro full Leather front seats - its obvious that they are alot better quality than the full leather Recaros I had in my Focus but the ones in the Focus had electronic height adjustment which was excellent especially if you were taller - oh how these seats could do with that, although they are superior in every other way

Comment

Would have to agree about seat height, not much of a prob for me being 5-8, but I took my mate out for a spin he's 5-11 and he compained about seat height, felt he was sat on top of the car instead of in it.
            As for entry to back seats not as good as VW. My current golf's front seats move forward and lift up, great for getting my two ankle biter's in.
            Finally, yes temp gauge needed. Can't please everyone tho, its the easiest thing in the world to do "pick faults" could do it with all cars IMO.

Comment

Crap paint - I've got far too many stonechips on the bonnet and the roof.
              Oh, and lack of a cup holder in reach of the driver.
              tuner talk: "Just get out and drive the damn things !!!"
              The truth is out there ...

Comment

about the temp gauge , im gonna get one installed my self along with boost and oil pressure which a car like this needs
                also the wheels not to happy about how easy they mark let me know how you get on with the dealership cheers
                phil

Comment

You guys are spot on with all this, a temp gauge would have been so easy for them to have put in the vxr instrument. A digital display would have done me just so I dont cane a cold engine..... On the seats I also like to sit in a car not on it but I did hear that Thoney motorsport may develope a lowering kit for them.

Comment

Seat height, seat height, seat height!
                    It's the ONLY thing I am not happy about and I HATE it!.

Comment

On Sunday can someone show me their particular problem with the seat height in their car. I'm interested as we've recaro in soon and I need to see it to believe it , don't disagree there is an issue for some but would like to see the seat/wheel position. I'm 6ft and have no problem but I do drive with my legs supported .
                      thanks
                      Stu

Comment

i have no issue with the seats which are part leather, im just shy of 5 10" and at 98kg my butt has molded them in just nicely someone has in the past made the point the full leather recaros appear to feel much higher, not sure how true this is.
                        after 5500 miles on the clock i have no real issues with the VXR other than having to wait until weekends to get behind the wheel
                        i get by cleaning it daily as some like to believe dont they Stu

Comment

stu, its not just about how tall you are, I am 5'8 have the seat as low as it will go but still feel wrong in the car..... sit in an old Calibra and you feel like you are in a sports car........well ish! Whats on sunday?

Comment

Sunday is the BTCC VXR meet at Brands Hatch, 50 VXR's of all varients in attendence

Comment

Ah I see. What is your view on the Evo testing? Can a Ram truck out corner a vxr?

Comment

Working...
                              X