This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mk6 Astra pictures and my thoughts on the drive from IFA Frakfurt 2009

Firstly, mods if I posted this in the wrong section and it should be in Gerneral chat please can you move this for me.

Well then as some of you may know I was in Frankfurt on business, for a few presentations and as this was all at the Frankurt motorshow I got the oppertunity to have a look around, and drive a few new cars.

So the new Astra and I am summrising my thought now.......

The good.

-Well the design wise up close is actually a lot nicer then the outgoing car and a lot better then in picutres. It makes the most of its competitors look very dated
    -Space inside is definately much better and there are loads of little cubby holes and storage places.
    - The boot is easier to load and is bigger (maybe my percption but still)
    - The seats (Feel loads more supportive then the outgoing car) and the leater and trim options are an improvement.
    - Drive well I drove the 1.6Turbo and it is way better then before. This thing actually handles and handles well. Turn in is sharp and you have loads of steering feedback but if I have a criticism the steering is a bit light and does not harded up enough at speed. Otherwise handling is comfortably up with the best. Guess this Watts linkage does what it promises.
    - the 1.4 turbo engine appears to be a cracker on emissions and fuel economy and will steal lots of sales of the 1.6 and even the 1.6 Turbo.
    -Road noise and ambient noise insulation is excellent. But then 3 layers of door rubbers has that effect (Opel/Vaux) say thanks to Merc and BMW on this
    -The new nav is a step up from the older units offered before in the Astra but still a long way to go.
    -The Xenon lights are excelllent and an absolute must.
    -Some very nice alloy wheel options
    - Nice to see the tow thing from the corsa made it to the astra, very nice feature
    -The new ambient lighting is cool as is the new instruments.
    -The new steering wheels are actually a lot smaller then they look and definatley feel smaller then the outgoing mk5#
    -Some very nice little design touches which gives it the impression of a more upmarket car.
    -Now then you might think it looks like a lot of different cars but TBH when you see it next to other cars that you think it looks like, it actually looks nothing like any of them, but kind of does if you get what I mean. Or should I say Vaux/opel used what has been before and then made it their own, with their own unique take on it. Nice

the Negatives..

-Sorry Vauxhall but I will now disagree with all the reports so far. The cabin quality while improved in parts ( and the neat touches help dramatically) is actually shocking in others. The instrument binnicle feels so cheap, that is creaks at the slightest touch and indeed on one of the cars on show was slightly broken. The lower door panels feel remarkably cheap and flexible. Please please could you not take a look at the new golf and go ahh that is how it is done. Mid you Golf learnt from the debacle that was the mk5 that they needed to improve the interior in the mk6.
    -Please do not get me started on the nighmare that is the radio/centre console. It seems Vauxhalls approach was why use one button when 100 will do. It is a mess and it took me ages to figure out what the heck each one did. Incidendtly some did nothing and it looked like Vaux though yup we need another button so even the look.
    -Cannot say I am a fan of the 1.6 Turbo feels like something is missing gearing wise as I consantly felt like I needed to change up an gear.
    -Oh my can they put any bigger badges on these things. Yes we know it is an Opel/Vauxhall but please no need to fill my vision with a badge
    -The usb slot is in a ridiculous place
    - The govebox has shrunk to Honda size mores the shame.

So the pictures, unfortunately none of me driving the car as the bag needed to go into a secure loker but hey ho. More then enough pictures below to keep you looking.....

The new seats. They are very comfy. They may look tired but then so would you if you had a few 100 thousand arses sitting on you over a couple of days.

The offending cheapo flimsy lower trim piece on the door card!

Mmmm I like this lighting it looks good. Very moody indeed.

The boot it has two levels like the current corsa and the top floor car be cliped onto the seat when you want the full boot. Nice copied feature.

Buttons, buttons we need more buttons. Note even the two blanks buttons. Nice...not!

So my verdict: It is nice and an improvement in lots of areas over the cars of old and for once I can say unlike the mk5 were i disliked the 5 door, this I like. Do I like it enough to buy one over say the new Golf ......ahmm a difficult choice if you look at them as an overall package and that is a compliment of the highest order that the choice is so hard to make .
    Last edited by BasilD; 29 September 2009, 04:04 AM.

Nice write up mate Pitty we won't see them over here.
    sigpic

EDS Inlet Manifold, Thermal Gasket, EDS Inlet Cam, EVOMS Diverter Valve, Forge FMIC, Quaife ATB, Custom 3" Turbo Back, Whiteline RARB, Uprated FARB, AP Racing Brakes, Percy CDTi Airbox Conversion, Oil Breather Box, Dap-r Springs, Bilstein B8's, CS Brake Cooling Ducts, Cool Running Thermo, CS Uprated Radiator

Comment

Originally posted by Nurburg608 View Post
      Nice write up mate Pitty we won't see them over here.
      How come?????

Comment

Yes but we now get the CRUZE instead

Comment

Originally posted by Ash VXRoz View Post
          How come?????
          No more astra's for Australia
          sigpic

EDS Inlet Manifold, Thermal Gasket, EDS Inlet Cam, EVOMS Diverter Valve, Forge FMIC, Quaife ATB, Custom 3" Turbo Back, Whiteline RARB, Uprated FARB, AP Racing Brakes, Percy CDTi Airbox Conversion, Oil Breather Box, Dap-r Springs, Bilstein B8's, CS Brake Cooling Ducts, Cool Running Thermo, CS Uprated Radiator

Comment

Originally posted by kabel View Post
            Yes but we now get the CRUZE instead
            lol, oh joy!
            sigpic

Comment

OH!! I thought just Opel in South Africa was replacing the Astra with the Cruze. I wonder what their reason for this is....

Comment

Gotta agree with you about the sheer number of buttons! That's an insane amount of buttons for a centre console, how on earth can anyone drive a car with more buttons than a keyboard has!
                sigpic

Comment

Great write up. Thanks

Also, we'll have to position LeeLee at the end of the production line to paint all the chrome vauxhall are so keen to cover the car in that so many people want rid of. Thats a fugly grill IMHO.

And the centre console looks like an Atari Jaguar gamepad but worse !

As a whole, its definately growing on me though. Excited about the VXR, lets hope they maintain the viciousness of the current model, but with an extra an extra air of sophistication. Fine balance.

Finally..... TEMPERATURE GAUGE FTW !
                  Last edited by JB_VXR; 29 September 2009, 11:10 AM.

Comment

great write up and good selection of pics

Comment

Originally posted by Ash VXRoz View Post
                      OH!! I thought just Opel in South Africa was replacing the Astra with the Cruze. I wonder what their reason for this is....
                      No business case for the new Astra in Australia.
                      No business case for HSV to import the VXR Corsa and Insignia.
                      Business case for the Cruze.
                      Also HSV are doing development work and TRYING to put a business case together for a hot hatch version of the new Holden hatchback released in 2010.

Comment

the centre console has far too much going on,as you said too many buttons,having come from two alfas were the interior imo is the best of any car on the road,the vxr corsa was very nice an the vxr astra not far behind,but this new centre console would put me off big time,in an around the steering wheel looks nice well lit up but the middle bit is very bad looking,if the new vxr interior has the same/similar interior(which it will)then im out
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kabel View Post
                          No business case for the new Astra in Australia.
                          No business case for HSV to import the VXR Corsa and Insignia.
                          Business case for the Cruze.
                          Also HSV are doing development work and TRYING to put a business case together for a hot hatch version of the new Holden hatchback released in 2010.
                          Business case my ******. It isn't good business to dump the second best selling vehicle in the model range and replace with a car that people don't want. Buyers of the focus / mazda 3 etc want a decent quality hatchback.
                          Holden need to get with the program. The reason the AH Astra didn't sell was lack of advertising.
                          The Corsa VXR is a great looking car, and i saw dozens of them during my last UK holiday. Lets hope that someone brings the Opel downunder bypassing Holden.
                          2015 Astra VXR : Arden Blue, 20" Alloys, Personalised Number Plates, Leather Interior, Air Con, Sat Nav, DAB Radio

Comment

the more i see the 5 door the more i cant wait to see the 3 door, i didnt like the mk5 5 door so if i like this i am bound to love the 3 door.... i hope
                            VXR gone Audi A6 Avant - Le Mans in
                            http://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/ PROUD TO BE A RUDE YORKSHIRE IDIOT SINCE 1981!

Comment

good write up, can't wait to see the vxr.

Rabbid Tuned - WG Motorworks
                              www.wgmotorworks.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X