This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 bar map sensor

dose a 3 bar map sensor help you hold boost any better. on stage 3 now. just brought one. wasnt sure if it was just a rumor i had been told. thanks guys

There was a huge debate about this, basically unless your boost is higher then 250KPA 1.5Bar then you dont need one.

Independent bespoke mapping available see my Facebook or find me at WG Motorworks

Clique #14

Comment

Originally posted by R i c h a r d View Post
      There was a huge debate about this, basically unless your boost is higher then 250KPA 1.5Bar then you dont need one.
      whats that in psi lol?

Comment

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=1.5+bar+to+psi

Independent bespoke mapping available see my Facebook or find me at WG Motorworks

Clique #14

Comment

You can change them, we use a 3.5 bar on big turbo cars. However you need to change the 0-5volt scaling within the ECU. eg The map sensor outputs the highest voltage at the maximum range of map sensor i.e. 2.5 bar on the standard Astra map sensor.
          If you plug in the 3.5 bar version then the voltage output will be lower at say 2.5 bar (as the 0-5volt range is scalled over 3.5bar) meaing the ECU will not see the correct voltage (boost pressure) and fuel incorrectly.

Hope this helps Jon
          sigpic
          29 Years as Vauxhall Tuners

Comment

Originally posted by A11VXL View Post
            You can change them, we use a 3.5 bar on big turbo cars. However you need to change the 0-5volt scaling within the ECU. eg The map sensor outputs the highest voltage at the maximum range of map sensor i.e. 2.5 bar on the standard Astra map sensor.
            If you plug in the 3.5 bar version then the voltage output will be lower at say 2.5 bar (as the 0-5volt range is scalled over 3.5bar) meaing the ECU will not see the correct voltage (boost pressure) and fuel incorrectly.

Hope this helps Jon
            how would i go about changing the voltage. booked in at courtenay on the 14th of oct so if it anythink compilcated i might aswell leave it for then as i dnt wanna mess anythink up as im not having much luck lately lol

Comment

What Jon is saying is that if you fit the uprated Map sensor, then you need to get the ECU map updated to accomodate for the changes in the sensor reading values based on the voltage range within which it operates.

Both the standard and uprated map sensors operate on a 0-5v scale, however one which reads 0-250kpa on a 0-5v scale, will have different values from a 0-350kpa sensor on a 0-5v scale - and within the ECU it has a stored calibration which translates the voltage reading to KPA reading (for example at 4v the 250kpa sensor might read 200kpa, and the 350kpa sensor would probably read 280kpa). In order for the ECU to cope with the change, it needs to be updated with the new sensor scale within it's software

You would only need one of these though if you were going for an uprated turbo unit, on the standard turbo your fine and can save the pennies
              Last edited by ; 30 September 2009, 04:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X