Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suspension problem??? Help please

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Suspension problem??? Help please

    Just got round to fitting my coilovers tonight. They didn't come with a new top mount. You use the ones off the original strut. I've done the rears easy job. Took 1 of the front struts off though and hit problems.

    Ive clamped the springs obviously so they don't fly off, but the nut at the top of the strut is unbelievably tight. Can't get it to budge. Is there any way or good technique and/or tools to get this off??

  • #2
    try soaking with wd40 and letting it soak in for a bit
    sigpic
    ASTRA nurburgring mods; itg panel filter, white samco hoses, cruise control, remus

    Comment


    • #3
      Is it not an allen key or tork in the top and spanner job or have you tried that?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by W4GCN View Post
        Is it not an allen key or tork in the top and spanner job or have you tried that?
        There is a torx in the top of the bolt but you can't get a spanner into it to hold the bolt still as its down inside the hole if you get me. Whatever you do the shock just spins. I thought maybe loosening it off slightly while its still on the car might help? If it will do.

        Comment


        • #5
          try heating the bolt with a blow torch or similar then loosen it
          sigpic
          Originally posted by soosie
          Gosh Cerberus , yours is exceptionally long !
          Originally posted by soosie
          Gosh Cerberus , really, really HUGE !

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by GraemeJ View Post
            There is a torx in the top of the bolt but you can't get a spanner into it to hold the bolt still as its down inside the hole if you get me. Whatever you do the shock just spins. I thought maybe loosening it off slightly while its still on the car might help? If it will do.
            The tork is normally so you can put a tork bit in there on a socket and bar whilst you loosen the bolt off with a spanner, its a 2 hands vise or between your knees job...


            Click the link and scroll down

            Excuse the type of car...
            Last edited by moosh; 2 October 2009, 01:30 AM.

            Comment


            • #7
              soak in wd40 overnight and take to local back street garage and get them to windy gun it off done a couple for mates never had problem yet or as stated by cerberus heat it up and try again mate
              sigpic
              GREEN HELL CLUB TEAM MECHANICS
              MAY 2010 9min 15sec with video
              JUNE 2011 8min 37sec with video
              SEPT 2011 8min 1?sec

              Comment


              • #8
                Always used to crack them slightly while the car was on the deck before commencing work..
                Auto Inparts.com
                exclusive automotive products
                www.autoinparts.com
                www.e-tech.uk.com

                GREEN COTTON FILTERS,
                ETECH, SPARCO, PRECISION ENGINEERED WHEEL ACCESSORIES, MUC-OFF

                Comment


                • #9
                  This needs to be done with an impact wrench mate, take it to kwikfit and bung them a tenner to swap the top mounts over for you.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by GraemeJ View Post
                    There is a torx in the top of the bolt but you can't get a spanner into it to hold the bolt still as its down inside the hole if you get me. Whatever you do the shock just spins. I thought maybe loosening it off slightly while its still on the car might help? If it will do.

                    If you are going to brans i can lend you a tool i made for the job its a plug socket with middle drilled out but as a spanner slot on out side so you can hole the shaft with the torques bit and turn the nut with the spanner.

                    www.courtenaysport.co.uk/ For all your tuning needs

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by TonyJ View Post
                      Always used to crack them slightly while the car was on the deck before commencing work..
                      yep

                      www.courtenaysport.co.uk/ For all your tuning needs

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by vxrdave View Post
                        If you are going to brans i can lend you a tool i made for the job its a plug socket with middle drilled out but as a spanner slot on out side so you can hole the shaft with the torques bit and turn the nut with the spanner.
                        No mate not going but thanks anyway. Just finished work now so i'm going to my unit to have a go at sorting it. If I can't ill take the front struts to my mates garage and get him to swap the top mounts over. Just wanted to do the full job myself.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Dropped the front end back on the floor and tried to get the nuts moving with a breaker bar and socket. One side moved so I changed that side over to coilovers. Sits well low But the other side is still being stubborn Wont budge. I'm thinking when I had my springs fitted the garage I paid to do it has overtightened the nut.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X