Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NOT HAPPY with handling or traction!-what shall I do?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NOT HAPPY with handling or traction!-what shall I do?

My car feels like its handling like crap through any kind of bend. It feels like the tyre pressures are all over the shop but they're not and the suspension aint broke or anything. Just had the tracking checked and its seems spot on too.

Also getting the power down is a problem, its like its delivered all wrong and just ploughs it out with scary torque steer!! So im now driving like ive got my old GTi. Grr.

(At the mo its all standard and over the next few months I wanna get a few mods done anyway.) So.... whats the solution guys? How much am I looking at and in what order cuz money only goes one way eh! Just gotta be sensible about it cuz the banks will love me otherwise.

- Springs and rarb - whats decent ?

- Remap - does it smooth the power delivery and help with torque steer?

- Diff - How much of a benfit would one be in place of a remap?

same boat as me tbh mate these cars i think need the lsd from standard thats my next mod for sure
    Astra vxr mk2 with stage 1 EDS remap

Comment

I swear the lsd vs a Stage 1 wouldnt be much different in actual performance on the road with normal daily driving having a blast every now and again!! I mean the VXRs are pretty ruddy quick anyway. Its not like i wanna beat Porsche Turbos. Hehe

Comment

if your unhappy with handling dont add power ie remao just get the lsd mate

Comment

Only had it 2 month so could it be a bit of a duf car or recon theyre all like it?

Comment

may be problem with standard mapping take it to vaux get ecu reflashed might help

Comment

its like its delivered all wrong and just ploughs it out with scary torque steer!!
              Do you mean understeer like the front washing out in corners under power etc.. if to RARB and an diff will help, Remaps will help smooth power out providing your car is ok. I dont find torque steer a problem only a bit on rutted roads and not realy round bends, understeer on the other hand can be a sod if you get power on to early I find. Try the mods I suggested they will help

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by MikeyG View Post
                  Do you mean understeer like the front washing out in corners under power etc.. if to RARB and an diff will help, Remaps will help smooth power out providing your car is ok. I dont find torque steer a problem only a bit on rutted roads and not realy round bends, understeer on the other hand can be a sod if you get power on to early I find. Try the mods I suggested they will help
                  front end - early power down will create pretty bad torque steer and can just forget it in the wet. but torque steer is bad most of the time tbh. Its VERY VERY susptable to wandering over the road, like white lines and slight cambers.

rear end - feels like it slids out on most corners even when im not driving like a plonker but when i giveit a bit, it does feel like it wants to skip out wihich just sh*ts me up so I back off an get frustrated.

Comment

get the diff and springs and RARB set up

a remap will give you more power but it will also smooth the delivery out a bit

Comment

Hmm mabey you should get your Geo looked at could be something not right, the car aint great standard but is definatly not terrible. If thats ok the RARB will only make the rear more likely to come out as it helps reduce understeer but makes the rear slightly more lively everyone recomends them and springs, best thing is head to a tuner near you and see what they say

Comment

Diff helps loads in putting the power down and reduce torque steer loads, however in terms of handling all it will do is mean you can put the power down earlier out of a corner it wont really help much with turn in etc, your better off looking at roll bar springs, change of wheels/tyres. The astras power delivery can take a bit of getting used to as it is really all or nothing, but any fwd car will wheelspin and torque steer if you hammer down on turn in or near the apex. I found running 18 inch wheels as opposed to 19s really helped the handling of the car, but a rarb and springs are also very popular and very highly rated

Comment

Is the car a pre 56 mate, if so the torque steer was worse.

Dont do power 1st, tune the handling and enjoy the power you have, remember its 240 rampant ponies trying to get out.
                          sigpic

Comment

Is the car a pre 56 mate, if so the torque steer was worse.
                            didnt realise this what did they change??

Comment

sure i was told its the front struts??? could be wrong.

Comment

Working...
                              X