This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burning oil smell

When the garage rang me the other day they said they can smell a bit of burning oil, they assured me it wasnt bad but were going to check it out. When i next spoke they said it had gone after a while from when they had the car turned on etc.

should i be concerned or is there something i should be looking out for???

dont know why im now a bit worried.....

turbo on its way out or leaking oil return pipe or leaking rocker cover gasket. they should be able to see where it's coming from

Comment

i vaguley remember them saying (i may have imagined it) coming from the rocker cover bolt????

what does this mean and whats the cause and fix???

Comment

I had this, just a slightly loose rocker cover bolt on the top and you culd see the oil collecting around it, just needed tightening up and job done.

Comment

cheers jay - i mean im not 100% certain its this i just have a feeling thats what it is, and i assume this caused the burning smell? - not sure why it 'would have gone' though according to the garage.

is this a warranty thing then if worse i.e seals etc?

Comment

Originally posted by YTVXR View Post
            cheers jay - i mean im not 100% certain its this i just have a feeling thats what it is, and i assume this caused the burning smell? - not sure why it 'would have gone' though according to the garage.

is this a warranty thing then if worse i.e seals etc?
            There could be a few causes as people have said above. Mine used to collect a VERY small amount of oil arounf the bottom far right rocker cover bolt and this would get very hot obviously and gave off abit of a smell from time to time. I assume that the bolt had just worked loose over time so tightened it up and never had a problem with it since.

Another cause can be the turbo oil seals. I believe that if you open up the eigine bay and look down the front infront of the engine towards the floor and look at the bottom of the turbo, i believe that if the seals are leaking there tends to be oil in that loaction. Someone did post pictures of where to look but i cant find them.

Comment

Mine has done it from day one... Its been in 5 times now and they've thrown bits at it and it still does it.
              sigpic

Comment

think its the bolt on the right ON TOP of the rocker not the manifold bolts if this means anthing different???

so are seals a warranty thing - common prob/fix???

company bmw is sounding appealing right now.....

Comment

Yeah, it'll be covered under warranty mate.

So far on mine they've changed:

Oil return pipe
                  Crank case breather hose
                  Turbo
                  Oil return pipe gasket
                  Turbo oil feed pipe
                  sigpic

Comment

think its the bolt on the right ON TOP of the rocker not the manifold bolts if this means anthing different???

so are seals a warranty thing - common prob/fix???

company bmw is sounding appealing right now.....
                    Yep thats what i mean, ontop of the rocker cover around the spark plug cover Make sure there all tight, i bet one isnt

Comment

hope it is that jay pal.

Comment

so is it a simple tighten nut job if is that?

if seals had gone or turbo on way would error codes be shown or lights come up?

Comment

so is it a simple tighten nut job if is that?

if seals had gone or turbo on way would error codes be shown or lights come up?
                          mine didn't when it started leaking

Comment

Working...
                          X