This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the oil restrictor mod

ok,thought i may as well put this up in here now,as i'm getting battered by pm's about it and its getting a bit repetative now.

this is a very simple engineering solution to several vxr turbo problems.

loads of people have problems with oil leaks,oil smells,smoke on idle.to which the standard response is "take it back the dealers" then there are people who have had 4 or 5 turbos under warranty and still get the same issues.then you get the "these turbos are crap" or "they are made of chocolate" statements.

well,you're wrong.its not the turbo's,its the car thats the problem and heres why.

vxrs have under piston cooling jets,and so have a higher pressure oil pump to accomodate them.this means they have oil pressure in excess of 100 psi (over 6 bar) when the oil is cool.even the old zlets have oil pressure of near 90psi.yes i have measured this pressure at the turbo.super.

the problem is,turbos are only supposed to run with between 2-4 bar (30-60)psi oil pressure.ball bearing turbos are supposed to have less than 2 bar (30psi).which means you are feeding the turbo's with way more oil pressure than they need and the seals are struggling to cope with it.thats why they seem to leak easily.not so much of a problem with the stock exhaust system,as the back pressure in it helps the oil seals.but when you fit a large bore exhaust and reduce the back pressure,it makes it even easier for the oil to get out of the exhaust side seal with its lower pressure.bingo.blue smoke on idle.

now for the interesting bit.

when you take your car to the dealers for turbo related issues.TIS has a standard procedure.check for leaks.if its the drain,fit the thicker z19dt drain gasket and clamp on the drain tube.if the problem still exists,swap the turbo.

NOWHERE does it say,check for excessive oil pressure.so,if you have had 3 or 4 turbos under warranty with the same fault,its not the turbo thats the problem.

also,if you have a rebuild by the likes of turbo dynamics,universal turbo's etc.they statically test the oil seals for leaks at guess what pressure.60psi (4 bar) MAX.so,its fine on the bench,then it can leak on the car with the extra pressure the car generates.this is where you then get into the back and forth of "its not the turbo mate,its your car or your exhaust doesnt have enough back pressure"

WRONG!!!!!

turbos dont like ANY back pressure,quoting a turbo guru "the best exhaust for a turbo is no exhaust".ever seen a turbo hayabusa or drag bike with more than 6 inches of exhaust?.dont think they have any back pressure do you?.

this is where the oil restrictor mod comes into it.

after many hours of work,testing and machining by me,this caps the max oil pressure the turbo see's to approx 40psi.this is more than enough to lubricate it yet doesnt overpower the seals.which means,you dont get any issues with running big bore exhaust.no smoke on idle with oil forcing its way past the seals.minimal risk of leaks (standard vaux drain isnt the best anyway) and oily smells when driven hard.

it WONT help with cracked manifolds (excessively high exhaust gas temps from too much boost) or burned out bearings (severe shaft overspeed down to too much boost).

the other plus,is you get more oil pressure where you need it,in the engine.a turbo oil feed line is essentially a haemorage from the engine.by controlling it,you control your oil pressure better.

theres loads of guff knocking about on various forums about these as pointless mods.they work.FACT!.

there are loads of people now running these with no further issues,some members on here have them aswell,some of whom have had turbo issues which have now gone without changing the turbo.i have cured some super smoky turbos with these without having the turbo rebuilt and there are several track cars running these with no issues.

they will also fit,corsa's,meriva's and vectra's too.

now for a bit of a warning,with the amount of stuff/ideas that gets copied (more so on here),i have applied for a patent for these babies,so there is now a patent pending.

hope that clears some points up for people.
    Last edited by PERCY'S vxr; 24 October 2009, 09:34 PM.
    ...superior horsepower through knowledge,good design and maximum efficiency
    version 1.0 a low boost 347bhp
    version 2.0 a stock boost 356bhp.
    coming next......280bhp of finest signum V6 derv power!.

good and informative read.

Thanks ian.

Comment

Thanks for posting the info. I was planning on adding this mod to my list (which happens to include a few more of your items as it happens lol) before going stage 2, so is now a definate on the list.
      '56' Arden Astra VXR : 19s,Bluetooth,Cruise Control,Xenon Hella Dynabeams,Glovebox Aircon,Check Control,Auto Locking Doors/Anti-Hijack,Piano Black Dash,VXMMI,Parking Sensors,Rear View Camera,SMD Conversion,CC Bootstrip,VXR Indicator Decals,Courtenay Brake Ducts,Insignia Washer Jets,Armrest,Wind Deflectors,Shiny & Carbon Engine Bits,Short Aerial,VXR Tax Disc Holder,Opel Rear Surround,VXR Buckle Covers.

Comment

a very very infomative statment there ian. just wish there where more guy's like your self willing to go out there way to be as helpful.

kind regards paul
        ''we do not quit modifying because we grow old,''

'' we grow old because we quit modifying ''

Comment

ian how much are they?

thanks

Comment

Great bit of info there! I used to have a very smoky Turbo on idle, got this fitted and, hey presto no more smoke!!
            Well done Ian, pity Vauxhall don't take this on board and save themselves allot of money in warranty claims!

Comment

Originally posted by VXRDean View Post
              Great bit of info there! I used to have a very smoky Turbo on idle, got this fitted and, hey presto no more smoke!!
              Well done Ian, pity Vauxhall don't take this on board and save themselves allot of money in warranty claims!
              well,watch this space.

having a word with our plant manager shortly about just that.cost saving and all that.

get the patent in place first,do what he likes with it after that!.

Comment

Originally posted by PERCY'S vxr View Post
                well,watch this space.

having a word with our plant manager shortly about just that.cost saving and all that.

get the patent in place first,do what he likes with it after that!.
                Nice one! Tom will make you a millionaire one day (as long as he listens).

Comment

Originally posted by VXRDean View Post
                  Nice one! Tom will make you a millionaire one day (as long as he listens).
                  more like £15 for a suggestion,and a can of coke if i'm lucky.

Comment

Thanks for the Top info percy. I PM'd you a while back re: buying one of your 1.9dti kits, did you manage to take a look at it yet? Thanks Mark

Comment

Top stuff as always from PPP

Astra

Comment

Originally posted by PERCY'S vxr View Post
                        more like £15 for a suggestion,and a can of coke if i'm lucky.
                        Lol! Probably...

Comment

Is this mod easy to fit, i try to avoid getting the tools out myself, and is there a link to a 'how to' or a price as this thing needs to be on every turbo out there....

Well done Percy, good work mate.

Comment

Does anyone know how tight should I tight the bolt (what torque)?
                            Zaffy VXR| RARB | Vxracing 19s in Gloss Black |Stage 3丨Turboback Miltek 丨TX Intercooler丨CDTI set-up with Pipercross Open Cone丨Forge Recric Valve 丨 Debaged 丨Corsa Indicator Surroundings |Full Rear Sunblinds | Leds Footwell Lightings丨

Comment

excellent explanation there percy. managed to take it all on board (thats good going for me lol). obviously you're going to get a lot of people asking for a price for this mod now (me included). and good luck with the patent, hope it all goes well for you

Comment

Working...
                              X