This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drilled air box

i was reading one of my mates magazine the other day, happend to be a ford one (dont shout at me lol) but they had an article in there about a focus rs who struggled to make the power it was estimated to make, only fell short by a few BHP's. After drilling out 6 holes in the air box it made up these BHP's.
    Wondered if anyone has this on there VXr, drilled holes i mean and do they make a difference ? With a sports panel filter included

Would recomend a larger intake as opposed to drilling holes.
    sigpic

EDS Inlet Manifold, Thermal Gasket, EDS Inlet Cam, EVOMS Diverter Valve, Forge FMIC, Quaife ATB, Custom 3" Turbo Back, Whiteline RARB, Uprated FARB, AP Racing Brakes, Percy CDTi Airbox Conversion, Oil Breather Box, Dap-r Springs, Bilstein B8's, CS Brake Cooling Ducts, Cool Running Thermo, CS Uprated Radiator

Comment

Ive seen this and thought about it once or twice but holes in the Airbox will surely suck in hot air from the engine bay and release cold air from the feed.

It will also it will mix hot and cold air feeding warm air in, Engines run better with cold air.

Thats my conclusion how ever i may be wrong.
      Astra VXR, Power Red with Hints of Gloss Black and the full PPP setup...... NOW GONE
      Mazda 3 MPS Aluminum silver. Standard for now......
      Astra CDTI 200 bhp No smoke No poke!!

If in Doubt Flat Out 'Colin Macrae'

Comment

yeh i can totally see your point here. obviously sucking heat from the very close hot engine lol, wot temps do engines usually or should run at, mines about 86 degress according tothe screen,

Comment

Originally posted by earley View Post
          Ive seen this and thought about it once or twice but holes in the Airbox will surely suck in hot air from the engine bay and release cold air from the feed.

It will also it will mix hot and cold air feeding warm air in, Engines run better with cold air.

Thats my conclusion how ever i may be wrong.
          Pretty much the same reason i wouldn't do it
          sigpic

EDS Inlet Manifold, Thermal Gasket, EDS Inlet Cam, EVOMS Diverter Valve, Forge FMIC, Quaife ATB, Custom 3" Turbo Back, Whiteline RARB, Uprated FARB, AP Racing Brakes, Percy CDTi Airbox Conversion, Oil Breather Box, Dap-r Springs, Bilstein B8's, CS Brake Cooling Ducts, Cool Running Thermo, CS Uprated Radiator

Comment

Originally posted by darrenk28 View Post
            wot temps do engines usually or should run at, mines about 86 degress according tothe screen,
            I dunno mate im not that technical i just know hot air intakes results in less power
            Astra VXR, Power Red with Hints of Gloss Black and the full PPP setup...... NOW GONE
            Mazda 3 MPS Aluminum silver. Standard for now......
            Astra CDTI 200 bhp No smoke No poke!!

If in Doubt Flat Out 'Colin Macrae'

Comment

It was an old trick to do on the Mk2 GTE - made a lot of noise but it did increase power by default of more air in - wouldn't be too keen to do it on a turbo car where engine temps are hotter

Astra

Comment

Agreed, keep the actual box sealed and make the intake to the box larger.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Luke.H View Post
                  Agreed, keep the actual box sealed and make the intake to the box larger.
                  Definitely agree with this too. You can buy the Dbilas one from Regal, but it's quite expensive (around £110) though these sometimes pop up on Ebay much cheaper.
                  sigpic
                  Was TV Mag Featured Astra VXR Nurburgring Edition 353, gone but not forgotten. Current car MY15 RR Evoque Dynamic SD4 Zanzibar Bronze with Black Pack, Magnetic Ride, 20" Forged OEM Stormer Alloys, Fully Loaded xx

Comment

I've done this. Did it along time ago. Does nothing to performance and i don't get heat soak as i've drilled the bottom of the air box. Gives a bit of a deeper sound but thats it

Comment

only with ram air scoop

Comment

but its going through the turbo which makes the air hotter before being cooled down by the ic.
                        ive heard of 80mm ducting to feed the airbox and some holes to allow any water to drain

Comment

dont laff..... but I did this to my first car.....it was a metro 1 litre lol
                          it sounded really really loud and deep.... no performance gains noticced ( but it was a metro lol )
                          sigpic
                          JOIN THE FIGHT!!!
                          http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=...d=371188528552
                          DONT JUST SIT THERE AND MOAN.... JOIN THIS AND AT LEAST SHOW YOU CARE!!!!
                          EVERY NAME COUNTS PLEASE HELP!!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X