This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking of buying an Astra VXR and selling my Coupe turbo

I currently drive a modified Astra G coupe, but I think I have taken things as far as I can without spend huge bucks on it.
    This leaves me with a question, what to do next?
    I can buy a new Astra VXR for £10 over £18K with all the options on it that I want, now that's a lot of money, but it's also a lot of car!
    I have a few questions for you:
    1) What options are a must
    2) What options are "nice to have"
    3) How does the VXR compare to the coupe turbo (for those who have had both)?
    4) Is the price above a good one for a VXR in Red, 18" wheels, CDC40 and ECC?
    I need to make sure my head plays a part in the decission and not just my heart!

Hi,
    Your head should always rule, however and its a big however. If its your passion, then you should let your heart overule. Otherwise you will always think, what if!!!. I would say if you can afford to go for the VXR then do it. Although it depends on your individual circumstances. I'm probably older than you and worked since 15 and a half. Now its my time, children up house bought, lets have some fun. Always remember, you only get one chance here, so go for it. As for extras, you could go on and on, have a word with (Thorney) at thorneysport.co.uk Top man he'll keep you right, he has an infectious enthusiasm and I've only spoke to him once on the phone. I haven't even got my VXR yet, but he's got me excited already. Anyway have fun and enjoy what you do

Comment

Re: Thinking of buying an Astra VXR and selling my Coupe tur

Originally posted by K3FUS
      1) What options are a must
      2) What options are "nice to have"
      3) How does the VXR compare to the coupe turbo (for those who have had both)?
      1) Not sure there are any MUSTs really. Strong debate is around Colour (red or blue) and whether you should have 19s for show or 18s for go! lol
      The rear PDC is handy because the rear visibility is..well limited!
      Some folks have identified the CDC30 has having limited Bass but unless you are used to aftermarket ICE its fine.
      If you like exploiting B roads avoid the IDS+ which is better on better roads.
      The exhaust is ok but if you can afford it I would opt for a full Milltek exhaust which not only sounds how the car goes but gives you +15BHP and will help engine cooling if you decide to modify your car.
      2) Again not sure there have been any issues around an option not being what was expected - few probs around compatibility with phones on bluetooth but nothing major so all the options are nice to have!
      3) Having spent a small fortune on a coupe turbo upgrading brakes/suspension/wheels/engine/exhaust/ICE, and produced a car I loved, there is no comparison to a VXR.
      It simply starts from a much much better place.
      Better build quality, better chassis, better engine. With the coupe you were always fighting what was there, with the VXR it begs you to push it harder.
      John at www.thorneymotorsport.co.uk is the man to talk to when 237 bhp isnt enough ;-)
      HTH
      mark
      sigpic

Comment

Hi there; firstly the price you are paying could be better; let me know what the final price is.
        As regard to options; 19" alloys look great but 18" seem to drive better.
        Also, sat nav is a great option ( expensive though).
        Any help I can offer let me know.

Comment

Just thought i'd add to the 19 vs 18'' debate.
          Have driven both and there is very little difference, but i feel the 19'' add more grip and a bit more traction on accelaration.!
          don't forget the 6.2 seconds to 60 as quoted by vauxhall is done with a VXR on 19'' alloys.
          The 19'' are what..about 2kg heavier...hardly going to alter much is it?...and they do look way better.
          all this IMHO.

Comment

where as i noticed a difference having back to back the 2 wheel sizes, the 18's felt much more planted and compitent throughout corners under excelleration, on b-roads they soaked up bumps and corrigation much more due to the slightly higher tyre profile which also enabled more control and grip when giving it some stick, looks go to the 19's, 18's shine on b-road for handling :wink:
            Lotus engineers recommended the 18's as the smaller wheel gives a better ride allowing more yawn movement and providing more steering feedback, it also allowed them to stiffen the front and rear springs without hampering driver control.

Comment

Originally posted by boom1
              Have driven both and there is very little difference, but i feel the 19'' add more grip and a bit more traction on accelaration.!
              don't forget the 6.2 seconds to 60 as quoted by vauxhall is done with a VXR on 19'' alloys.
              The 19'' are what..about 2kg heavier...hardly going to alter much is it?...and they do look way better.
              all this IMHO.
              In most part I agree, but outside of the 0-60 and in fairness its not what we are really looking for, its only a bench mark, the 18 will add a tad of better acceleration whilst on the move. The other point to consider is that actaully I think an additional 2 kg per corner (if I am reading you correctly) does make a different to the unsprung weight the system has to cope with. Think of bouncing a bag of sugar up and down in each corner on top of what you need too.
              All interesting stuff though and some good points made

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky
                Originally posted by boom1
                all this IMHO.
                Fair point dude!
                In most part I agree, but outside of the 0-60 and in fairness its not what we are really looking for, its only a bench mark, the 18 will add a tad of better acceleration whilst on the move. The other point to consider is that actaully I think an additional 2 kg per corner (if I am reading you correctly) does make a different to the unsprung weight the system has to cope with. Think of bouncing a bag of sugar up and down in each corner on top of what you need too.
                All interesting stuff though and some good points made

Comment

Go for full leather seats if you can afford it. The half-leather one's don't have lumber adjustment and are giving me back ache on long journeys.
                  Get a black one, looks the meanest!
                  Andy H

Comment

Working...
                  X