X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice on rejecting my new VXR!

Hi people,

As stated over past couple of weeks, i had just bought a used VXR, from Arnold Clark.

Picked it up last Thursday, then a day or two later, started hearing a rubbing noise when on full lock to the right. Spoke to them on Friday, told to drop car off first thing on the Monday.

Dropped car off, was told needed a 'suspension knuckle', and i seen paperwork said some kinda of 'strut' thing too. I took car away, and was booked back in for the Thursday, as would be Wednesday before parts would be in.

Same night (Monday), was a rattle at the rear. Tuesday morning, unplanned, showed up first thing to have this checked. Left car, got phonecall before 10am saying it was a loose plate or cover at tailgate or something, had been tightened, and was now fine. Picked car up back of 5pm, drove away, rattle still there. Went straight back in, mechanics had all finished, so was told when in on Thursday for suspension issue, go out with a mechanic first to show him the prob.

Thursday came, showed guy, he made note, and i again left car for suspension issue. Thursday night comes, get call to say 'knuckle' etc been fitted, but guys still ain't happy, as rubbing still there. Could i leave car again, as they were ordering up another part(s) for Friday morning (yesterday). I said wanted courtesy car, got one, despite their attempts to try charge me £11.50 a day for insurance! Didn't happen btw, lol!

Anyway, last night comes, girl phones, says guys fitted some 'rod' thing, but problem still there. Think she said i could have taken car away, but i said wouldn't be, and maybe wouldn't be taking it away again, lol! Said i wanted to speak to some guy about what happens if i'm no longer happy with car, as don't seem fit for purpose. Was told it would be salesman and sales manager.

In i went last night to speak to these two. Guys were ok, and sales manager said if i wanted to reject car, he'd give me my money back, and car i traded in (RX8 ). Here however, is the next problem!

Night before, another sales manager told me they have problems with the RX8, and can't get it to go! He said its about a £900 job (funny though, cause got told last night they didn't know what was up with the RX8, lol), but he also said something along the lines of, 'no, its something thats happened since you've dropped it off to us'. I thought fine, your problem now then.

Sales manager last night kinda laughed and said, 'well obviously we'd need to get that going for you', thats on basis i reject VXR obv.

I was also asked about service history for RX8, which i thought was in the book, stamped. Was asked this the night before too, and phonecall earlier in week or something. I told them since i had it (second owner), car was serviced at Machargs, as i had service plan for 2 years, but i never bothered this year, as knew would be selling. He said, 'yeah, most people wouldn't'. Told him Machargs would have that all on record, so could check that. As far as previous owner, wouldn't know. He also said did i know RX8 had had a new engine. I said yes, as was done by Mazda, despite car being out of manufacturer's warranty, as it was caused by a recalled part that failed. Salesman said he didn't know this, but i said wouldn't have hidden it, cause all above board, etc. Tbh, think i've mentioned it to every other garage when asking for trade in price, as had done 68k, but engine changed at 50k, just incase any better trade in value.

Anyway, sales manager then talked about would need to look in to service history, as they would have taken it on face value if i told them it had one. He said 2 years out of 6 is hardly worth anything. I said 'well surely you should check this', and asked if i had signed anything that said i stated it had full service history. They said no. I told them i would have said it had service history since i had it, before me, i don't know, but if Machargs (another Arnold Clark btw) took it off someone, surely they would have checked that then too.

So, long and short of it, now the Mazda RX8 is gubbed too (its going to Mazda on Monday to check it out), and VXR is ****** (guy was hoenst saying we don't know whats wrong with it, and basically agreed could be looking at end of next week at earliest), what are my rights on rejecting car?

Guy said he would give me money back, and trade in, which i wouldn't want if faulty, so am i entitled to ALL my money i.e. value of trade in too?

I know if they had happened to sell my old car (RX8 ) by now, i would get my money, but it hasn't sold. Guy actually backed out a sale, cause wouldn't start or something, lol! If only he'd took it, grrr!

Thanks for ANYONE's patience to read this, but hoping in off chance someone with knowledge can help me!

Cheers.

P.s. Bought car week past Thursday, so come Monday, will have owned it for 12 days, yet been in garage for 7!!!
    Last edited by R0N4LD; 7 November 2009, 11:06 AM.

ouch m8 doesnt sound too good and a tough predicament your in, can they not send the vxr off to somwhere else that knows what they are doing as surely someone must know whats up with it? then there is the problem with your rx8, did that car get took in running fine wth no signs of any problems? because if it did i wouldnt be wanting that back if its having trouble starting and needing £900 of work, the rx8 are notorious for being gubbed lol
    Quaife LSD . . Milltek/Powerflow Turbo back exhaust . . Custom Intercooler . . Percy 1.9 Cdti airbox . . Whiteline RARB . . Collins dump valve . . Courts enlarged top hat/power pipe . . Oil Breather Box . . cruise . . anti-hijack . . check control . . Blue SMD conversion . . wind deflectors . . opel numberplate surrounds . . pressed plates . .

Comment

Yeah, mate, sales manager mentioned they could possibly send it to a bodyshop, but he said he's no expert. Just said they can check other things, then he alos mentioned about if had been in bump for talking sake, so thats sounds even worse, lol! He was jst suggesting things though, nothing like that is definite.

I 'agreed' to buy car a fortnight ago on Thursday or something. They looked at my car, mechanics give it the quick 15min check, all was fine, and we done deal.

As i have private plate, had to wait on that transfer taking place. that happened a fortnight later, at which point i had driven RX8 up to, and no problems.

Went in on a Thursday again, done deal, and took away my 'new' car. So yeah, no probs i was aware of in that time period, lol!

Comment

lol i dont know what i would do then, if your happy to take back the rx8 but it maybe have problems then do that, but if theres a possibility that could now have serious problems id get arnold clark to source you another vxr, have a look on their uk wide website and see if theres any similar vxrs and tell them to get you 1 of them,
        Quaife LSD . . Milltek/Powerflow Turbo back exhaust . . Custom Intercooler . . Percy 1.9 Cdti airbox . . Whiteline RARB . . Collins dump valve . . Courts enlarged top hat/power pipe . . Oil Breather Box . . cruise . . anti-hijack . . check control . . Blue SMD conversion . . wind deflectors . . opel numberplate surrounds . . pressed plates . .

Comment

i know how you feel mate had a similar problem with my paintwork ,got feed up with running backwards and forwards to dealer getting no where. what i did was then contacted consumer direct they were very helpfull and give you all the information you need to get it sorted . give this ago. www.consumerdirect.gov.uk

Comment

i would just demand a new vxr,the rx8 is now there problem an dont let them try an hold that agaisnt you,they have said the rx8 has only developed the problems since you left it off,so whos to say someone wasnt out in it giving it abuse.

as far as i know you have 14/28 days to reject the car if you are not happy an the car isnt fit for purpose.im not sure how it works with the trade in but theres no way id take a car back that has since had problems after you sold it to them.
            sigpic

Comment

which arnold clark is it??
              i think you get 14 days, but they have to have the opertunity to fix a problem 3 seperate times

Comment

Just tell them you are rejecting the car and want a new one. The RX8 issue is their problem, not yours! It's not your car....

Comment

legal advice would be your best option...
                  WARNING all replys are incorrect as usual

Comment

o dear...i have the exact same problem...when i put it on full lock the to left...its like a rubbing noise....same noise u get when ur wheels r 2 big for ur car kinda thing ??? am covered by warrenty like but cant b bothered with the hassle that your gettin by sounds of it
                    sigpic
                    Progress Thread
                    http://www.vxronline.co.uk/forum/sho...04#post1982104
                    WANTED:
                    SMD, LSD, CDTI, RARB......Poss hybrid in the future

Comment

Hi guys,sorry been at football, but thanks for the replies.

Contacted Consumer Advice from link above, and said i can either get money back, and car i traded in, incondtion it was traded in i.e. working. Else, can give them suitable period, 14 days, to fix problem. If they don't, they have to find me a like for like replacement, else refund me the full value, and that doesn't mean i get the RX8 back.

Given car was first in for that problem on Monday, i asked if end of next week is suitable time limit, and told yes, so looks like gona give them until then to fix it.

To answer question by AstraVXR_Red, yup, thats what it sounds like! Noise is also like if a car in show room, that plastic-like floor they have, and someone turns wheels while stationery, its like that noise kinda. To be honest mate, i would get it cheked. I got my car back earlier in week, whilst waiting on parts, and they said i wouldn't have got it back if hey thought it was unsafe. That said though, you dunno how it might develop, especially if they don't even know what it is, lol!

Also, if you get yours fixed, i'll know whats up with mine, haha!

Nah, but if you do get it looked at mate, and in next week or so happen to find out the problem, please PM me.

Cheers.

Comment

Being an RX8 owneryou probably know that the engines are prone to flooding with petrol then failing to start. Have you asked the garage to try and tow start the car (as Mazda recomend when flooded). Providing the car isn't flat ans is trying to turn over this is usually the problem. This is one of the side effects of the wankel engine, if you start it then fail to let the car warm up before turning off it floods the engine and won't let it start, this is very common in garages as they simply start it to move the car out theway then park it up and switch it off. This maybe totally irrelevant but it may help!

Comment

ahhhh good old Arnold Crooks had many a fight with them.

How old is the astra??

If its under 3 years old tell them to inspect it and confirm if it is in a safe condition to be driven on public roads and ask for a statement to that effect in writing . Then take it to a proper VX garage!!

If its over 3 years old follow Advice given by Consumer Advice people. You may have to travel further to get it sorted but there are good dealers out there willing to help you!!
                          sigpic
                          Originally posted by soosie
                          Gosh Cerberus , yours is exceptionally long !
                          Gosh Cerberus , really, really HUGE !

Comment

Thanks for reply Cerebus.

Car is over 3 years old yeah, so how do you mean travel further to get it sorted?

Plan to go back in on Monday and set deadline to have it fixed by. Guessing should put this in writing also. So, anyone got any info on how much or how little should be said in a later stating that basically if car is not fixed by a said date, i want money back?

Cheers again.

Comment

I mean there are better garages with much more experienced tech's to try but if its out of warranty you have to pay

Deffo get everything in writing as then you have comeback with them if they change their story.
                              sigpic
                              Gosh Cerberus , yours is exceptionally long !
                              Gosh Cerberus , really, really HUGE !

Comment

Working...
                              X