X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tim Syd
    VXRed
    • 18 December 2007

Haltech ECU on Astra VXR's

Has anyone on this forum replaced their ecu with a Haltech ecu? surely this would get optimum results over a box tune on the stock computer.. Tuner critical of course...but even so, if your sensible and not chasing massive KW's (or BHP's) - its should be right yes?? Does anyone know if the Platinum is compatible with the vixer engine?? I am on the brink of doing this to finish my stage 3 vixer to get it spot on and finished right. I am over annoying power curve glitches on the dyno.. Any thoughts, comments are welcome.
  • Crafty
    VXR enough
    • 21 January 2007

Your problem is integration, can it handle fly by wire throttle ?

you'd probably have to leave the stock ECU in place to sit on the CAN. Its going to be messy and alot of work.
    A mapper should be able to work with the stock ECU just as effectively.

Comment

• Tim Syd
      VXRed
      • 18 December 2007

Originally posted by Crafty
      Your problem is integration, can it handle fly by wire throttle ?

you'd probably have to leave the stock ECU in place to sit on the CAN. Its going to be messy and alot of work.
      A mapper should be able to work with the stock ECU just as effectively.
      Thanks for the reply..can you please elaborate a bit. Im in Sydney and we dont have (m)any tuners capable of live tuning the stock ECU - they dont have the software here. There is one that has tuned SRI-T's and apparently a VXR but thats one in Australia that I know of and there not exactly local. The box tunes overall seem to have great results - but every car is different, and mine isnt quite hitting its full potential. Most of our tuners here are limited as far as this particular car goes and cannot do it without replacing the computer - they would love to tune it (Stock ECU) given the software - but no one seems to be willing to invest/supply or provide this kind of service due to lack of demand I guess.

A guy in Melbourne has an Astra G SRIT and is very happy with his Haltech ECU and tune...how would this be different to mine?

I am interested in your comments - can you just explain it as best as possible in simple terms as I need to understand exactly what you mean.
      Cheers.

Comment

• Phatashki
        Trader
        • 5 April 2009

Basically its gonna be alot of hard work and to be honest not sure if it could be done without leaving the original ECU in,

In basic terms Because of the canbus system in our astra's all the ecu's are linked and talk to each over. If one is removed or goes faulty, more importantly the engine ECU which is what you want to remove the the car is crippled. Everything relates and talks back to the main engine ecu and without it I dont think the car will run.

Could prob bypass the fuelling/boost side of things with a standalone ecu but as said would be difficult, but Im sure it not impossible if you have deep enough pockets.

Comment

• Rabbid
          VXR Nothing comes close
          • 10 July 2008

I thought evreything went back to the CIM?

Independent bespoke mapping available see my Facebook or find me at WG Motorworks

Clique #14

Comment

• Crafty
            VXR enough
            • 21 January 2007

What Phatashki said. You could do it - just let the haltech control fuel/ignition/boost, the stock ECU would stay in place to pass data through the CAN. It would be interesting to see what happened with ESP as if a slide/wheelpin was detected it'd ask the engine ECU to shut throttle, you wouldn't want this to happen if the Haltech is running the engine.

I know that MoTech can talk to a fly by wire throttle, not sure aboout Haltech, they aren't massively popular over here.

In short you can do it, and you could do some more interesting things, like run load off of map sensor and make the MAF redundant.

Another option I can think of is speak to someone like Jon @ Courtenay and/or Stefan @ Klassen (they work together). Im sure they could help you out without having to go standalone? Stefan has a wealth of experience with the ECUs. Maybe you can buy some dyno time locally and they could sort out a bespoke map remotely.

Comment

• Phatashki
              Trader
              • 5 April 2009

Originally posted by R i c h a r d
              I thought evreything went back to the CIM?
              Come to think of it, you may be right, I stand to be corrected then ,q But still think it will be a pain in the backside to get a standalone ecu plumbed in with the can system.

Comment

• SilverSchoolBus
                VXR School Run, All Aboard!
                • 8 February 2009

See Total vax issue 101, similar thing has been done when the guy dropped a vxr engine into a vectra. Thats the Omex 600 management unit.
                Zaffy VXR| RARB | Vxracing 19s in Gloss Black |Stage 3丨Turboback Miltek 丨TX Intercooler丨CDTI set-up with Pipercross Open Cone丨Forge Recric Valve 丨 Debaged 丨Corsa Indicator Surroundings |Full Rear Sunblinds | Leds Footwell Lightings丨

Comment

• CNBLU
                  VXRed
                  • 30 October 2009

Haltech will handle fly-by wire no problems, i have one on my SRiT but im yet to compare it to one of the big tuners maps.

The only reason i got a Haltech was because here in Melbourne there are no tuners that can 'live tune' the Bosch ME 1.5.5

Comment

• Tim Syd
                    VXRed
                    • 18 December 2007

Originally posted by Crafty
                    Another option I can think of is speak to someone like Jon @ Courtenay and/or Stefan @ Klassen (they work together). Im sure they could help you out without having to go standalone? Stefan has a wealth of experience with the ECUs. Maybe you can buy some dyno time locally and they could sort out a bespoke map remotely.
                    Well - this would be ideal for me - could get exy with dyno time and relaying info via UK simply due to time lag - but thats ok as Haltech replacement would involve a lot of time too - Haltech is not a cheap option.
                    I have already contacted Haltech re: issues relating to fly by wire throttle - but will have to wait until Monday for their response. my local tuner is very willing to work with a UK tuner, but just have to work out the details and willingness of people to do this kind of remote tuning.

I have met Jon and Richard at courts on a recent trip home to the UK and bought my diff off them - I sent an email half joking about tuning my car remotely - but if it is possible - this would be great. I have a local dyno dynamics set up about 5min drive down the road - my only question is how klassen or courts deliver the tune(s) during the process to get it right - if they were even able or willing to do this.

its late here - so thanks for the replies and I will see what else comes of it over the next few days.

Cheers again.

Comment

• Tim Syd
                      VXRed
                      • 18 December 2007

Originally posted by CNBLU
                      Haltech will handle fly-by wire no problems, i have one on my SRiT but im yet to compare it to one of the big tuners maps.

The only reason i got a Haltech was because here in Melbourne there are no tuners that can 'live tune' the Bosch ME 1.5.5
                      Hey mate - yes - yours is the SRIT im reffering to - thanks for coming in there. So whats your take on this? I have not moved on my tune yet - and you've seen my dyno. I am in the same boat with the tuning - i need a live tune to get the best result - but we are limited here with who can do it. There is one in Sydney I know of and thats Silverwater Automotive. But dont know anyone whos had it done there with a Vxr (though there is one apparently).. How different are our cars really? You are happy with the Haltech still ?

Comment

• CNBLU
                        VXRed
                        • 30 October 2009

Yes very happy.

Mines is going to HP-F for a re-tune in a week. As long as the tuner has a good rep and is well known then 9/10 times you will be happy. It might be a bit pricey but at the end of the day its the tune that designed for your car, not a generic map.

Haltech are one of the best IMO

Comment

• Tim Syd
                          VXRed
                          • 18 December 2007

So I guess based on replies so far - I could have issues with a Haltech on my VXR - or at least make a lot of work for myself. I guess my question would be How are the VXR and SRI Turbo different (Is it the same engine?)- or CNBLU - was the SRI-T a lot or work to get the engine management right on a Haltech?

Appreciate the replies to date by the way.

Is Haltech not popular back home in the UK because as mentioned it is a pain to override or intercept without problems? or has it not really been tested too much because with all the tuning facilities on the stock ecu available there - there is no need?

So you can see where i am coming from and questioning - in Australia, we do not have the numerous options you guys have there - and every tuners answer is to replace or intercept the ECU..not because the stock ECU is not capable - but they have no choice without the software.

I do have a possible solution this end - but would like to know a little bit more.. I will ask the question about courts or klassen remote tuning out of curiosity - but would understand if they dont want to.

Thanks again and any more thoughts - especially from tuners on here - would be appreciated as i would like to know more about this stuff.

Comment

• Nurburg608
                            VXR enough
                            • 13 March 2009

Hey Tim,

The issue with our cars is the Canbus. Gav's SRi-T doesn't have this. You could run the haltech as an interceptor but as the others have said, the stock ecu will need to remain because of the way everything is linked. There is a place up your way called BTA Motorsport that have a tool called the OPTICAN. With that tool, they are able to take the original map off so it can be tweaked and then reloaded, may be worth having a chat to them to see if they do the tweaking or wether they send the map away, they may be able to work alongside courts aswell.

Worth a shot.
                            sigpic

EDS Inlet Manifold, Thermal Gasket, EDS Inlet Cam, EVOMS Diverter Valve, Forge FMIC, Quaife ATB, Custom 3" Turbo Back, Whiteline RARB, Uprated FARB, AP Racing Brakes, Percy CDTi Airbox Conversion, Oil Breather Box, Dap-r Springs, Bilstein B8's, CS Brake Cooling Ducts, Cool Running Thermo, CS Uprated Radiator

Comment

• CNBLU
                              VXRed
                              • 30 October 2009

Anything is possible. The guys at HP-F were told that you can never put a MOTEC onto a Chrysler 300c, guess what they did with excellent results.

It all depends on your tuner and how much knowledge they have on the matter.

Never say never i say!

Comment

Working...