Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Astra VXR Sprint? a few q's if anyone knows.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Astra VXR Sprint? a few q's if anyone knows.

Hi all,
    basically im after an raw performance car, as i have the means to get gm partners discount(my dad is retired from vaux) i have looked into the saab 9-3 aero sport saloon(2.8 V6 T)same as the vectra VXR engine i think -5H.P so about 250H.P, i know this would be a fiarly bullet proof power plant to modify up to about 370-400h.p prehaps but am not sure of the rest of it, maybe its still a bit prestige rather than all out performance(not a true sports set up in terms of chasis or suspention)
    the bonus is i dont need the car to be practical, i ride my bike to work and dont do long journeys, so i think im after a track car for the road!
    I ve seen a few posts about a weight reduced more aggressive version of the VXR called the sprint, from info i have read i understand its being developed by VXR performance? is this classed as a model or heavily modified VXR in terms of insurance? for example can i be compared to the alpina bmws which are classed as a model in their own right rather than a heavily modified BMW?
    or should i wait for the white little number vaux are developing apparently at the moment or the maloo VXR(thats if it being launched in the U.K, dont think anyone knows?
    I know is a long one but any help or opinions are much appreciated.

AFAIK the VXR sprint is a heavily modified VXR being funded by Vauxhall themselves and to demonstrate what the VXR performance center can supply and/or carry out to your car. This car will also be used to advertise the brand at various shows and events etc. To this end it won't get sold in this guise and it would be up to yourself to have the work carried out by the VXRPC after you bought the car.
    From the posts on here I don't belive they will see much more than 330bhp from the engione as their main focus is to save weight and improve handling to create more of a "package" rather than an out and out rocket ship. So if your looking at the 400bhp mark i'd look at the Monaro VXR range and then if you were to start playing from there it would get VERY interesting (At least the Monaro is driving the right set of wheels for that power :wink: )
    As for the Vectra VXR it seems tuning is slow to get started on this model but I believe cooling will be an issue once bhp goes up. Its a tough call really but I think it will basically boil down to the size of car you want to drive and then what you do afterwards to create the "road racer" you have in mind...
    The other alternative is to wait for the Corsa VXR due I expect after Christmas which I hear is going to be an awesome motor and not just in the looks department :wink:

Comment

Welcome to the site.
      The Astra VXR Sprint car is a one off at the moment. VX Performance Centre are building it and it'll be a track biased road car that they can replicate for you or you can just buy bits from.
      Its rather extreme and is essentially a 300Ps + engine in a stripped out Astra VXR.....There is a thread on here that details it.
      No its not a model and yes you would have to hint to the insurance company that its been modified slightly
      The much rumoured 'white' lightweight car is just that, a rumour.
      The Maloo VXR (which our one is supercharged to 580Ps ish) is available from HSV Performance centre (Tom Walkinshaw Group on 01908 334450)for £30k + vat. Check out the HSV website for detail. I love it and it get massive attention , rather quick , with a nice practical boot!
      HTH
      Stu

Comment

Originally posted by NotNormal
        AFAIK the VXR sprint is a heavily modified VXR being funded by Vauxhall themselves and to demonstrate what the VXR performance center can supply and/or carry out to your car. This car will also be used to advertise the brand at various shows and events etc. To this end it won't get sold in this guise and it would be up to yourself to have the work carried out by the VXRPC after you bought the car.
        Hello you sexy boy, what you doing here, bugger off ha ha ha
        AS Daves just said, the Veccy VXR i should imagine will need a fair bit of work to turn it into a track car.. Its a big motor....
        The monaro is a much bigger car, but also easier to tune, more motorsport products available if you know where to look (few places in teh UK or Aus)...
        VXR will be a good car also....
        But tbh, if i wanted a hardcore track motor, sorry VX, but it wouldn't be any of the above. (well, maybe a VX220 (or VXR220).

Comment

VXRPC can build a VXR 'sprint' for you if you want ,or a level you are comfortable with to remove some weight.
          We have found that over 300bhp in this car is not important, the weight saving and other upgrades are making the car so well balanced it doesnt require a massive bhp number. This is of course a car designed for a particular purpose so picking the kids up from school maybe a bit impractical.
          VXRPC/888 are looking into the feasibility of a special edition lightweight version in VERY limited numbers but it will not be in white and it will not have over 300bhp
          We certainly dont want to spoil the VXR experience by drastically changing , very good ,out of the factory cars.
          [email protected]
          www.vxrperformance.co.uk
          www.tripleeight.co.uk

Comment

right guys you have cleared up quite a few things for me here,thank you.
            i can now write off the maloo as its import only at the moment i doubt i will be able to get my G.M partners discount on it in that case.
            as for the monaro VXR i would love to get one but to be honest could not afford a new one,and for the price of a second hand one i could get a brand new Astra VXR and highly spec it, would prefer to know i had been the only driver of a performance car, as i know how it would have been trated from day one rather than not knowing if the 2nd hand car i was buying had been abused.
            will have to see how the insurers will respond to the spec of a heavily modified VXR astra, maybe i could create what i deem to be an astra sprint in my eyes and tailor the car to what i want exactaly. are the 330hp figures causing any adversise affect on the astra vxr eg. speeding engine wear/ causing a decrease in reliability?
            as for coments on the 2.8 V6 T unit in the sabb s and vectra VXr s, i have heard the same, a friend at work had a VXR Vectra estate for the weekend for some reason, said the car did not feel "fast" was a bit too smooth(was doing 120 mph felt like 60mph), seemed more like a very capable cruiser than an all out performance car, dont know if this was because it was an estate of just his personal view. looked stunning though, but a bit too big for me i think.
            so what i have gatherd(correct me if im wrong) i would have to buy the astra vxr from a vauxhall dealership and then take it to VXRPC to have work done, rather than buy the whole car preworked from VXRPC.
            cheers guys/girls

Comment

Would agree that the Vectra is very smooth. Our car is now just short of 5K miles and is loosening up nicely and is benefiting from super unleaded (it has been running 95 ron).
              I have certainly mastered to torque steer on that car and can boot it to 6500 rpm and keep it in a straight line. Also as pointed out by Sparky the peak power is delivered at the top end of the rev range (something I hadn't been exploring). Now that I am it is a bloomin quick car.

Comment

Originally posted by Daimo
                Hello you sexy boy, what you doing here, bugger off ha ha ha

Comment

Working...
                X