This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thorney 29.04.06

Just wondering how many of you are going to Milton Keynes tomorrow for the Thorney open day.
    Cheers
    John

Check this link for the info: Not sure how many are going who are not on the RR
    http://www.vxronline.co.uk/messagebo...opic.php?t=386

Comment

i gonna be there tomorrow, jus a shame my car not ready until tuesday now. Just have to laugh at me corsa, doh! :? be good to put faces to names,
      johnny
      Arden Astra j , nav 600, afl, full leather, aero pack, power fold mirrors, infinity sound system.

Comment

mate we wont laugh at you a grin maybe but nothing more everyone is welcome to come along even if you dont own a vauxhall

Comment

Great day out go we have the final power outputs yet ? who has the most powerful VXR Astra? Did the 888 cars do well.
          Andy

Comment

Well I took the Vx Performance Centre develoment car for a run. On te road the performance is stellar as a Jag Type R found out in MK. On the dyno however the intake temp rose to high (58deg)and retarded the ignition
            However it achieved 224hp at 4900 rpm at the wheels and a calculated 264hp at 4900rpm at the flywheel. And as it peaks at 5800 - 6000....)
            To give an idea of the rather dramatic increase in power at 2400rpm it was pushing out 60hp at the wheels , at 4000rpm it had hit 180hp at the wheels. 200rpm later it had already hit the regular VXR figure with another 1800rpm to go
            Great job by Dave and the guys at VPC. The specification will no doubt be released in time once development is finished.
            Stu

Comment

Power looks good so far ,but how come the intake temps became so high, I guess there where a few runs?

Comment

Stu
                just imagine that set up and slightly more in the Sprint car with 140 kilos less, joyus is the word Im looking for.
                Santa pod, PV 06 BTCC Astra V Sprint car now theres a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky
                  Power looks good so far ,but how come the intake temps became so high, I guess there where a few runs?
                  With those intake temps it would be a massive concern ? Lets face it it was a cold day on Saturday and when /if we ever get a summer and 30c ambient then that engine is going to struggle big time?
                  Not knocking anyone /anything im sure the car is still in development stages and the power looks good but i`d still like a totally reliable platform that can be used day to day without issues.
                  Adds a chargecooler to the wish list
                  Andy

Comment

Simple question from a simple guy, but will all the heat related issues with the LEH intstallation on Astra VXR, is there a larger intercooler option available yet, and would this aid the power output in hotter weather ? I would also assume that Zafira VXR is easier to extract max from as it has more room in the engine bay. Has anyone tried tunes in a Zafira for comparisons on heat issue etc ?
                    Just a thought.
                    Insignia VXR, quite nippy!

Comment

Originally posted by too-fast
                      With those intake temps it would be a massive concern ? Lets face it it was a cold day on Saturday and when /if we ever get a summer and 30c ambient then that engine is going to struggle big time?
                      Not knocking anyone /anything im sure the car is still in development stages and the power looks good but i`d still like a totally reliable platform that can be used day to day without issues.
                      Andy
                      Andy
                      quite right and thats why I never let on what had been done to the car on the day.
                      However day to day running is fine with intake temps around the 24-27mark. Its just when it lashed to the rollers without the 80mph + wind blast the intakes rocket - and thats with Thorneys fans that he nicked off a zepplin
                      To continue development we'll be using it for day to day jobs at work and - god help us- loaning it out to our team to drive round in. Its a tough job etc.....
                      Stu
                      Stu

Comment

I am guessing that is why Subaru need the bonnet mounted intake on the Impreza WRX/STI and Forrester STI.
                        I always recall the Ford Cosworths having similar but flush vents in their bonnets.

Comment

Originally posted by the vxr mothership
                          Originally posted by too-fast
                          Andy
                          Andy
                          quite right and thats why I never let on what had been done to the car on the day.
                          However day to day running is fine with intake temps around the 24-27mark. Its just when it lashed to the rollers without the 80mph + wind blast the intakes rocket - and thats with Thorneys fans that he nicked off a zepplin
                          To continue development we'll be using it for day to day jobs at work and - god help us- loaning it out to our team to drive round in. Its a tough job etc.....
                          Stu
                          Stu
                          Need any help with the testing just give me a shout :wink:
                          I`ll see you at Oulton Park for BTCC for a poke around the garage and maybe a passenger ride in the VXR ?????? :P
                          Andy

Comment

SAD BUT TRUE

It is sad ,but a fact , VXr will never suffer from heat problems!! (If we all abide by the law)as the legal limit in this country is 70 mph in all the gears it wont go above 35 degrees c, If your oof to Germany it still wont bother it much, All the testing we have done At vmax 155 mph @Bruntingthorpe we havnt seen any figures like rolling roads,
                            An intercooler will be tested shortly but until the hot stuff gets here the car is standing up no problem on the open road.
                            Keep using a quality fuel and you will be seeing a safe inlet temp the car is so quick only the really brave will see the temps rocket and you simply cannot keep speed up safely in the UK to bother it.
                            The car is so tractable you can make use of the torque better but you still have to negotiate bends and the like so temps are not high for long
                            Standing heat soak is a different story but as soon as the engine begins to speed up the temps drop again, if your in a traffic jam you aint going quick enough to cause a heat problem even on a mapped car.
                            We must have done 50 laps at bruntingthorpe with no bother in the car Stu is talking about the only thing we stopped for was gogo juice.!!
                            Bare in mind we know of cars running flat in 6th in Germany up towards Munich and not relenting in power at all and no milteks out there in big numbers either.
                            So the car is strong and very tunable, it accepts what we do with scary simplicity . Lets hope VXL keep supplying us with these Gems.
                            After 20 years working with this brand Ive never been so impressed with an out of the box model as I have with Astra VXR.

Comment

Well put David :wink: the car/engine is a stormer coming from a VX220 with a very similar engine but with a stage 2 map and milltek circa 250bhp/250ft/lb .I feel the Astra VXR has massive potential. its got waaay better cooling than the VX220 having the engine in the front hence better airflow.
                              Looking forward to making 300bhp at the fly and 240 at the wheels very soon
                              Andy

Comment

Working...
                              X