This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ipod in car

just wonderin if anyone uses an ipod with their vxr, and if so do they have it wired up to the car, just use itrip, etc?

Hi..
    There's no easy solution to that as there's no AUX input, I have no idea why it isn't standard as it's such a useful and easy feature to add, some very mediocre cars have them!
    My car recently got it's ICE upgraded, I opted for one of these and can plug my Sony mp3 player into an installed jack just under the A/C controls...
    http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_c...hp?prod_id=369
    Trouble is you then need an amp, I don't expect many people will want to spend out on what is already a very capable system, I guess if someone knows an electronics engineer it may be possible to hardwire something into the radio unit itself, other than that there's plenty of FM transmitters you can buy but I have used these before and the quality is quite poor.

Comment

I've got the Dension Ice Link in my car, it's an FM transmitter but it plugs directly into the aerial socket through a loop adaptor so the quality is pretty good. If you have it at high volume you do get a little background hiss but apart from that it's faultless. You can switch it to one of three preset frequencies in the 88Mhz range and then tune a preset on the radio to the frequency. I'm in the Midlands so it's fine there but when I drive in London there are quite a few pirate stations using the 88 Mhz band so you do get a bit of interference down there.
      The holder also charges the iPod so no worries about running out of power. Install is pretty easy its just a couple of scotchlock conectors for power onto the radio loom and I got a mobile phone bracket from dashmount so no destroying the looks of the fascia with self tapping screws!!!
      There's another one available now from Harmon Kardon on the Apple web site called drive and play that has a seperate controller and display so you can scroll through the playlists and see the result on a dashmount display, it looks pretty good but not sure on the install for one of those.

Comment

Originally posted by Mystvxr
        Hi..
        There's no easy solution to that as there's no AUX input, I have no idea why it isn't standard as it's such a useful and easy feature to add, some very mediocre cars have them!
        My car recently got it's ICE upgraded, I opted for one of these and can plug my Sony mp3 player into an installed jack just under the A/C controls...
        Trouble is you then need an amp, I don't expect many people will want to spend out on what is already a very capable system, I guess if someone knows an electronics engineer it may be possible to hardwire something into the radio unit itself, other than that there's plenty of FM transmitters you can buy but I have used these before and the quality is quite poor.
        Wow that looks good !!!
        Is that then an amp as well and how easy is it ti attach to the VXR cdc 30 mp3 etc ???

Comment

Originally posted by Turbowayne
          Originally posted by Mystvxr
          Hi..
          Wow that looks good !!!
          Is that then an amp as well and how easy is it ti attach to the VXR cdc 30 mp3 etc ???
          And how much does it cost?

Comment

No it's not an amp, you would need a 4 channel amp to power the car's speakers, I didn't install it myself so I dont know just how easy it would be but you would have to run the speaker wires to the cleensweep and then a couple of phono cables to the amp and then wire up the amp to the car speakers + power for both. I think it costs something like £300, so you have to be pretty serious about your ICE.

Comment

I recently fitted an ipod cradle to an Astra; It costs around £400.00 to obtain the kit and to install the kit. The cradle can be strategically placed aorung the dash as preferred.
              Just check with installer as cable is slightly different for nano (2 or 4 gb) and 30/60 gb video variant.

Comment

wat kit did u use for it?
                got any pics?

Comment

has anyone used the harman kardon drive and play, just wonderin if its compatible with regards to connectin it to the astras system? otherwise just thinkin cradle and itrip may be the option?

Comment

I've just bought the Harman Kardon 'drive and play' kit from Halfords. Won't be fitted until next saturday so won't know how good it is till then. But i'll let you know what i think of it when it's up and running.

Was intedning to fit it myself but Halfords have dropped the price from £149 to £125 and installation is free, so i couldn't resist. At least they're insured if they mess anything up.

As for being compatible, i can't see why it wont be. As far as i could find out it connects directly into the aerial socket and the original aerial lead connects into the new kit so should have less interference than a wireless signal and gets it's power from the lead feeding the CDC 70 kit or what ever else is in the car. Anyone who knows better than me (that means most people) can correct me.

I'll come back on and let you know if it all works ok when it's in.

Comment

Isn't the iTrip just about to be made legal....

Comment

dellik anyword on the drive and play!

not sure about the itrp might be, the qualtiys alrite not the best tho!

Comment

Not yet N3 VXR.
                          Don't get it until 23 Sept (this saturday). Soon as i've had it fitted and tried it out i'll let you know if it's good, ok or binned!

Comment

Right as promised heres my view on the Harman Kardon 'drive and play' kit.

Installation

Bought the kit from Halfords for £129 and the installation was free. I think it's a good deal.
                            Took them less than an hour to fit it and they seem to have done a good job. But i wasn't allowed to watch it being fitted as they said i'm not insured to be in the work area. Wasn't too bothered about that but i'm sure some people would prefer to view so may be relevent to them.
                            The only problem i had was deciding where to have the screen and controller fitted as theres not many free places within easy reach. Eventually chose to have the screen fitted on top of the dash just above the display screen, thought it best to keep the displays in one area.
                            As for the controller the ideal position would have been between the handbrake and gear stick but no space at all in that area. Decided on the dash space/pillar just to the right of the speedo dial. Don't particularly like it there but it is easy to reach being just behind where my right hand is placed on the steering wheel.
                            The main connector box (where all the leads connect together) is fitted in free space behind the glovebox so you can't see it at all. I have no idea how hard it will be to reach that kit if neccessary. Hopefully i'll never need to find out!
                            Decided to keep the ipod itself hidden in the glovebox so told them to fit the conneting lead there which required them to drill a hole through the back in the top shelf area. Don't need access to the ipod other than connecting/disconnecting it, so prefered to have it out of the way.
                            Initially they had asked if i had the pin no. for the CD70 incase it loses power when they remove it from the facia to gain access to the aerial socket. Luckily it wasn't needed as i didn't have it on me!
                            All in all i have no complaints about the installation and it seems neat enough and they didnt damage anything.
                            Couple of points though is that from both the display screen and controller dial the cable is visible for a couple of inches before they disappear down the side of the steering colum. Would have liked to have them put directly through the dash surface to hide them completely but being so close to the car display they said there was a risk with drilling as cables or the car display could be damaged so i thought it not worth the risk.
                            The other point being that my bluetooth pairing with the mobile had vanished (not sure why, maybe a fuse removed???) but set that back up in a few seconds and no more problems.

Quality & Ease of Use

Build quality of the kit seems solid especially the display screen and controller dial and feel secure when fitted. Don't feel like they'll fall off anytime soon.
                            As the CD70 (and other VXR audio kits, correct me if i'm wrong on that) doesn't have an aux input the sound is fed via the aerial socket and tuned into a radio channel. It has 5 pretuned frequency settings and a custom option if neccessary.
                            My fear of any interference or hissing being present due to being fed via radio signal and not an aux lead quickly disappeared as to my ears the sound quality is as good as if i was using a CD.
                            To be honest i did hear a slight noise, like when you hold a mobile next to a phone and it's about to recieve a call, if that makes sense. It only happened once in the 3 hours i've tested it and i tried using the mobile a few more times to see if it would happen again but it didn't. My guess is that it was caused when the mobile first connects with the bluetooth system and the fact that the mobile is only a few inches away from the radio on an air vent mounted holder. If it does happen again i will just move the mobile somewhere else as being bluetooth it doesnt really matter where it is.
                            Using the system is just like using the ipod itself and very easy to use so that's as good as it can be in that department.
                            The display is easy to read and can be tilted to the best angle, also the backlighting and contrast can be adjusted easily or even invert the display to light text on dark background, though i think that looks horrible.
                            Early days i know but so far im nothing but impressed by it.
                            Hope this is of help to someone and i haven't bored you all to sleep...

Comment

thanks for the write up mate, do u have any pics of it fitted?

Comment

Working...
                              X