This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cost of modifications

Just a quick question as to why the upgrades seem to be so expensive some of you talk about how it is just around £1700 for a stage two upgrade which as far I can see covers a full exhaust and an ecu remap this seems ok until you look at what other vehicles seem to get the golf gti 50bho increase for a £1000 with the morego converstion and the new st aroung 40-50bhp increase for around £4-500 now the figures tie up and the astra just seems more expensive now i'm not tight in the slightest and all of my cars have been tuned but the question has to be asked when the immediate competition are much less too modify (Ido not think the st gets an exhaust but the gti does).

Re: Cost of modifications

Originally posted by mp1
    Just a quick question as to why the upgrades seem to be so expensive some of you talk about how it is just around £1700 for a stage two upgrade which as far I can see covers a full exhaust and an ecu remap this seems ok until you look at what other vehicles seem to get the golf gti 50bho increase for a £1000 with the morego converstion and the new st aroung 40-50bhp increase for around £4-500 now the figures tie up and the astra just seems more expensive now i'm not tight in the slightest and all of my cars have been tuned but the question has to be asked when the immediate competition are much less too modify (Ido not think the st gets an exhaust but the gti does).
    The Milltek is probably one of the best quality exhaust systems around and I think about the same sort of price for a full system for most hatches (I'd have to check) Astra, Golf etc.
    Stage 2- You are getting the pre-cat removed, a better flow sports Cat and the ability to much improve the engine cooling (so you can have a more aggressive/powerful map).
    Without full exhaust / cat improvements I would be surprised if just with software you can get the improvement in the driving experience enjoyed on a Stage2 VXR.
    I think the point is that the difference in real world performance between a standard car and Stage 2 is quite honestly awesome and feels very good value at £1700. I don't know of anyone who has been anything but completely impressed.
    I wouldn't go on quoted figures only but if the ST/Golf upgrades give the same smile as the vxr stage2 then they are very good value
    sigpic

Comment

Of your comments and opinions I have no doubt that you are probably correct however both the golf gti and the st were roadtested by evo magazine and given rave reviews now I would doubt that they have driven a stage two vxr but they have spent a lot of time with the gti and to a lesser extent the st so you would think that the opinoin they foemed would be educated and on past performance they don't seem to be biased in any particular direction or marque it would just appear on face value that the vxr tuning is particularly expensive and offers similar performance gains to the gti and st (albeit they start from a lower power output to start with)

Comment

Originally posted by mp1
        it would just appear on face value that the vxr tuning is particularly expensive and offers similar performance gains to the gti and st (albeit they start from a lower power output to start with)
        Sure you are right about Evo, but just making the point that 1100ish for any Milltek full system and 500ish for a software upgrade are pretty standard for any car.
        If the Golf and the Focus real world speed improvements are as impressive as the VXR great, but I heard that they weren't?
        sigpic

Comment

Working...
        X