X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi all

Hi guys !
    I'm new here....just like to say you have a top notch web-site....well done to all involved.
    Anyways......Will be changing my car this year....I'm in a Golf R32 with 90,000 miles on the clock I fancy something lighter and quicker and hopefully cheaper (company car tax)
    I really do like the look of the VXR Astra (I fancy a red with 19's !) - has anyone done a comparison between an R32 / VXR Astra ?
    I would like to think that the VXR would 'feel' quicker am I correct ?
    My car before the Golt was a Evo 6.5 which I miss sorely and I'm trying to get an element of that turbo fun back with a VXR
    Suggestions / Thoughts appreciated !
    Daz

Hi Daz,
    I can sort of answer your question. When we came out of the TVR we had 3 options open to us:
    Subaru Spec C
    Golf R32
    Vectra VXR
    Before test driving a Vectra we had in principle said yes to the Subaru over and above the Golf, partially because we needed a car asap and the R32 wouldn't have been available for some months and the fact that the R32 just didn't feel that fast. It was only on the off chance that we drove the Vectra and we found that to be an astonishing car (Subaru Spec C Performance meets R32 refinement) and that is where we spent our money.
    As a result of the Vectra we took the plunge and bought an Astra VXR in red with 19" wheels. With the exception of some dissapointing handling over the weekend (we need to investigate if it was the driver or the car) the Astra has lived up to every expectation we had for it. The Golf is a nice car but I found it not quite as sporting as the VXR's.
    I think the best thing to do is drive one and if possible have a go in one that has been upgraded to the circa 280 bhp figure which you could buy for less than an R32.

Comment

Hi Catherine !
      Thanks for the reply.....OK, my 1st move is to get my *** in a standard one because I haven't even sat in one yet !!!!
      More and more I thing about it the more I believe it will be the right choice - I would say 2 litre 16v turbos are always gonna feel more sporting or 'nippy' that a 3.2Litre 6 cy
      Thanks again for your help !
      Daz

Comment

Originally posted by eastwood
        Hi Catherine !
        Thanks for the reply.....OK, my 1st move is to get my *** in a standard one because I haven't even sat in one yet !!!!
        More and more I thing about it the more I believe it will be the right choice - I would say 2 litre 16v turbos are always gonna feel more sporting or 'nippy' that a 3.2Litre 6 cy
        Thanks again for your help !
        Daz
        Hi Daz.
        Im in a similar situation, coming from a Golf 4motion, and I was also looking to rekindle some 'fun' from my car. Sure, the Golf is nice, and the 4wd helps it stick to the road, but its just not fun. Think just too sensible, and too heavy.
        From my experience the VXR certainly is great fun, so wouldnt worry about that!
        Plus the fact, if your golf if anything like mine you will save a fortune in petrol. I struggle to get 20mpg most of the time!

Comment

Hey Daz,
          Well I've had my car since Dec and I have 10.5k miles on it now!!!
          What can I say except wow...it truly is a wonderful car. I've had a stage 1 remap on it since 6k miles and it has improved the car even more. Such a pleasure to drive and so much fun (hence the 10k miles!).
          As for the MPG Daz I get 26mpg (before and after remap) and I don't exactly drive slow. I like to use the power available. I can get 32mpg on a nice run. Other people have got more - not sure they are really trying though! :P :wink:
          With regard to the handling Katherine, I noticed you mentioned this in another thread. Hopefully there is nothing actually wrong with your car. I came from a Vectra 1.8 LS and the VXR was a bit of a shock! The power was awesome but the handling was a bit weird at first. Don't know if you know but the car has been setup by Lotus to pivot around the gear stick. It took me a while to get used to the handling although I was used to front wheel drive.
          I also found that braking in corners unsettles the car (backend twitches!) because of the weight transfering to the front. (Is this what you experienced?) However, braking before the corner and using the gears to slow the car before the corner solves this and once you get used to the handling...wow...the car is so chuckable into the corners. It sticks like glue to the road even in the wet. I'm talking A and B roads here of course...so much fun!
          Hope this helps. Hope I haven't told you stuff you already know...don't know how many miles you've done!
          I hope that gives a bit of an insight to you too Daz. It'll take a while to get used to the handling (at least it did for me coming from a Vectra) but the car is kinda raw and it has to be driven! You may find the R32 boring and slow(er)...the VXR you won't!!

Comment

Working...
          X