This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HOW TO wire up second rear fog light

Ok as most of you know we only have one fog light working but the other one has the bulb in it but is not wired.

This is how to get it working so both will work.

Tools required.

Soldering Iron,
    Solder,
    Isulation tape,
    Craft Knife,
    Wire,
    Pliers,
    screw driver {not pictured}
    Conetion end. (EDIT.{This came from an old Stereo ISO plug conector that i cut up})

Left hand side light unit behind the boot lining.

The multi plug you need to un-clip.

Right hand side light behind the boot liner.

As you can see on the right hand side there is 1 more wire then in the left side. {Black with a blue trace} the third one from the top.

remove the plastic boot liner to expose the wireing loom.

with the multi plug un-cliped from the left lidht pop it open with the screw driver. push the conection wire in untill it clicks.

using the pliers bare the end of the 2 wires and solder them to gether.

run the wire with the loom so that you can join it further down.

Carefully strip the insualtion of the Black blue trace wire splice {wind} wire together. TEST and then solder together,

wrap all bare joints with insulation tape and put back together.

Before.

After.

Good luck guys.
    Last edited by alex_c; 25 July 2010, 01:11 PM.

Why is there a bulb but its not wired, thats mad :?

Comment

My thoughts exactly?

Comment

seems daft, maybe for left hand drive opc's as the fog light will have to be on the left :?

Comment

Originally posted by vauxmad
          seems daft, maybe for left hand drive opc's as the fog light will have to be on the left :?
          The cars are built in the same factory as the Opel version

Thus the parts bin is easyer to have one light as aposed to two.

Also i guess for those that want to drive on the continent then its easy to get it working so the fog light is on the correct side for the roads you are driving on.

Cant see why its not done from factory like cars of old.

Comment

Does seem a bit crazy. Why not get them both working like most cars. It is something i would like to fix actually. Soon as a i get some time and the weather is better might give this bad boy ago.

Comment

when you have can you post up your ratingof the how to.

Comment

Liked the write up, pics are a good idea

As someone who loves to tinker with his cars (and is also an electrician) I’d like to make one suggestion if I may…

…Use heat-shrink on the soldered joints rather than electrical tape. This will help to ensure the joint stays well protected & short free etc etc.

Electrical tape has this knack of being a pain to apply nice and tight on small wires and can loose its stickiness over time in cold/damp surroundings

To those who are planning to attempt this…please ensure you slide the heat-shrink on one of the wires BEFORE soldering the joint (I admit to making this mistake myself once ). Then just use the shaft of the soldering iron on the heat shrink to mould it in place over the joint...

...have fun :wink:
                Steve.

"i think i have fallen in love....with a VAUXHALL!!!" - J.Clarkson (about time)

Comment

Thanks,

i did use heat shrink when i did the VXR but i ran out so i used the insulation tape.

hope you find it of use.

Comment

Bump, any one got the pics to go with this IOI
                    Arden Blue Stage 2 Astra VXR on 19's. Remus, Bluefin, Cruise Control, Tints, Whiteline RARB, Eibach Sportlines.

Comment

pic are in the post mate can you not see them ?

www.courtenaysport.co.uk/ For all your tuning needs

Comment

They wont display on my home computer for some reason (the same one that stops me logging onto Thorneys web site!). Can see them on the computer im using now!!

Cheers
                        Arden Blue Stage 2 Astra VXR on 19's. Remus, Bluefin, Cruise Control, Tints, Whiteline RARB, Eibach Sportlines.

Comment

Id love to give this ago but id prop wire the sidelight to the rear fogs, the rear fogs to the cig lights and so on

Comment

Very easy mod - It's awesome putting the other bulb to good use now and blind people if they tailgate you, hahahaha

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X