coil springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• coil springs

Can somebody advise me on the correct way the rear springs on Astra 2009 vxr should be fitted. The ones i've got differ slightly to the new ones. The spacings between coils at one end is greater than the other. They are different to the ones on car at the moment, don't know ifmthey are original. Any advise would be appriciated.

The tighter wound closer together coils should be at the bottom, connecting to the rear beam

The looser wound coils should be at the top connected to the body

Should warn you though this a hotly debated topic on online forums everyone has an opinion on which way is right

My reasoning is simple

The tighter wound coil has more ridgidity and strength, so why would you want that side connected to the body that has very little movement and load placed upon it

Me personally I would rather have the strongest part of the coil placed in a way that can absorb the most stress from the up and down pivot movement in the rear beam

Seen a lot of springs fail prematurely from being placed the wrong way around at the garage I used to work at a few years ago

Hope this makes sense
    Last edited by Andyb712; 23 May 2020, 10:29 PM.
    2009 Astra H Vxr arden blue uprated gearbox endcase with bigger bearings, 3" cobra catback non res with toyosport 2.5 double decat, mtc crossover delete and tophat

Planning to go stage 3/3.5 eventually

Comment

Thanx Andy:

Found out last night that the Drivemaster springs i got from eurocarparts are wrong even though they said they were for car with sports chassis. Unfortunately they have been fiitted to car and are now termed as non-resalable and used. On the bright side i found the proper ones on GSF carparts with the coil spacings same at both ends (same as ones that came off) and half the price that eurocarparts charge.

Jim

Comment

I’ve always been taught that rear springs should be fitted with the writing the correct way up and on Vauxhall’s, with the writing facing the rear of the car.

Comment

Working...
        X