Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recurring Brake Judder on 68 Plate GTC VXR

Hi all,

I'm seeking some advice on a brake judder issue on my car, I first got this car brand new in December 2018 and started getting brake judder a few months later, in July 2019 I took it back to the dealership I bought it from, where they diagnosed warped front brake discs and replaced them (under warranty) and the brake pads at a cost of almost 300 quid. All was well after this again until a few months later when the judder returned. The original set of discs were replaced at 843 miles and the problem was happening again at around 1500 miles. I've since been back to the dealer again, October 2019, where they performed checks on the brakes and did road tests with harsh braking (seen on my dash cam) and all I get told is that I don't drive it enough. I've been driving it more regularly, including doing 200 miles in a day and if anything, the problem seems to be getting worse, the judder kicks in at between 38 and 50 mph, and I feel vibration through the brake pedal and get severe vibrations through the steering wheel.

I don't drive the car particularly aggressively and only use it when I need to, as with any other car I've owned and don't really know what else to do to get things sorted. As you can imagine it's rather frustrating just being told to drive the car more when something seems to be wrong. Should I continue to go back to the original dealer or try a different Vauxhall dealer for an opinion?

Apologies for the rather rambling story, but I can't find any advice online and thought this would be a good place to come for advice. I don't want to have to give up my VXR if I don't have to.

Thanks in advance

Check the bolts that hold the rotors to the bells are all tight, as this would cause continuous friction to part of the brake rotor and thus uneven wear. As a result you would get brake judder due to wear or warping of the rotor.

Comment

I'd assume the hub itself is either contaminated or damaged. Especially if it's done this now on two sets of discs.
      Suggest removing the discs and ensuring the mating surfaces are all free of contaminants.

Comment

Thanks for the responses so far, certainly been more helpful than the dealership where I bought the car! I'm not mechanically skilled or equipped enough to check this myself, but will have it checked.

I'm assuming it's unlikely to be linked to the low mileage I do, is that just the dealer trying to fob me off by saying that or could there be some truth to it?

Comment

No truth in that at all. At the end of the day it is a friction material. The only possible problems are incorrect fitting/contamination of mating surfaces, bent mountings, incorrectly machined discs (quality control would have picked that up), loose bolts, or you brake like a rally driver to create extreme heat (but at low mileage you would have to take the car to its max speed every time you went out, then try to beat your record stopping time) which I doubt would cause it anyway for the mileage you have done between having new discs. As a last possibility the calliper may be at fault if the pistons are not moving properly or the caliper is not secured/mounted correctly.

Comment

Working...
          X