This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New tyres??

Soon I'm gonna need new tyres all around and wanna go for 225 40 18s as I'm aware this fit?

But as I can't afford all four at once can you run 35 and 40 at the same time?

ooohhhhh...

40's not good..
    I'm sure tom will be a long soon to explain why!!

Comment

Originally posted by Rich Dastardly View Post
      ooohhhhh...

40's not good..
      I'm sure tom will be a long soon to explain why!!
      Haha, am i an infamous trouble maker?

I read earlier but im not sure where you stand with mis-matched tyres, i imagine it would be an MOT fail and therefore illegals... Which in turn means no insurance which is even more illegals...

As for he explanation....

The standard tyre fitment on an 18" alloy is 35 profile. This is how it left the factory. If you change to a 40 profile tyre and do not inform your insurers your car hs been modified and is not to standard specification. This could be grounds for insurance invalidity leaving you up the swanny...
      Originally posted by Bobbyp90
      Yes Tom! You're a freaking genius!
      sigpic
      Corsa "user guide" , VXR Car Game
      South East Regional Organiser

PSN: TomFL12

Comment

And there you go from the man himself!!

Comment

Originally posted by Rich Dastardly View Post
          And there you go from the man himself!!
          infamy, infamy, they've all got it in for me
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_Y2K4 View Post
            Haha, am i an infamous trouble maker?

I read earlier but im not sure where you stand with mis-matched tyres, i imagine it would be an MOT fail and therefore illegals... Which in turn means no insurance which is even more illegals...

As for he explanation....

The standard tyre fitment on an 18" alloy is 35 profile. This is how it left the factory. If you change to a 40 profile tyre and do not inform your insurers your car hs been modified and is not to standard specification. This could be grounds for insurance invalidity leaving you up the swanny...
            It is only illegal to run mis-matched profile/ply on the same axle. You can run 40s on the front, and 35s on the rear no problem - how the car will behave under this configuration though, I wouldn't like to speculate.

With respect to insurance, by all means phone them and inform them that you have opted for a different tyre size after consulting a tyre shop/fitter on grounds of comfort - I expect in most cases they won't give a ****, although may note it down.
            sigpic
            Mike Hughes

Comment

Ok slighty confused. Firstly will these sizes fit etc and not rub or look odd? As for the insurance I'm with greenlight so I'm sure the mod will be fine if I told them ( didn't know putting a tyre on a wheel was a mod tho)

I would only mismatch it for say a couple of weeks or month til I got paid again. Tho wouldn't want to if it was unsafe

Comment

Originally posted by Jaybro187 View Post
                Ok slighty confused. Firstly will these sizes fit etc and not rub or look odd? As for the insurance I'm with greenlight so I'm sure the mod will be fine if I told them ( didn't know putting a tyre on a wheel was a mod tho)

I would only mismatch it for say a couple of weeks or month til I got paid again. Tho wouldn't want to if it was unsafe
                Counts as non-standard so must be a mod Give them a quick ring and ask them if they see it as a problem if nothing else mate
                sigpic

Comment

Not so bothered bout the insurance part cos they will say yes or no. I'm more concerned if this is worth doin? Do they last longer etc otherwise no
                  Point for the 20quid a tyre it will save me

Comment

Originally posted by Jaybro187 View Post
                    Not so bothered bout the insurance part cos they will say yes or no. I'm more concerned if this is worth doin? Do they last longer etc otherwise no
                    Point for the 20quid a tyre it will save me
                    I wouldnt have thought they last any longer mate, its only the profile that changes not the tread

Only thing that does last longer are the alloys...
                    sigpic

Comment

Scuffed to hell already hehe. Just thought maybe they would act diff on the road with people saying the ride is more comfortable

Comment

I ran 40 profiles on mine and it was the best thing I did, More comfortable drive, handled better due to having more flex in the side wall and more importantly the tyres are about £20 cheaper a corner.

If your really worried call you insurance and inform them, I know they won't be interested but they will at least make a note on the policy for you.

Comment

tom whats the story? i must have missed it. as for it being aa non standard modification i was under the impression it was a consumable like wipers too

what insurance company got the huff with it?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by randomgary View Post
                            tom whats the story? i must have missed it. as for it being aa non standard modification i was under the impression it was a consumable like wipers too

what insurance company got the huff with it?
                            Somebody said it to me when i asked

The theory being that the standard is 35 so if you put 40 on your car it is no longer as factory prepared/delivered. If replaced like for like then no issue.
                            sigpic

Comment

it's an insurance loophole..
                              It's not as the same standard as to factory spec
                              therefore modified, you didn't tell us bout puttin diffrent tyres on.
                              therefore null and void.

Comment

Working...
                              X