This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quaife v wavetrac

As some of you might know, I bought a quaife diff for my corsa VXR just over a year ago now and have recently had the opportunity to upgrade to a wavetrac diff.
    You might think its mental to have bought a diff and then be buying another, but i only want the very best and i will try to explain my madness...
    Any diff is essential equiptment for a powerful FWD car, i think everyone will agree with me on that...nobody wants to be shredding tyres, spinning up one wheel lol!
    When going from a stock open diff to the quaife diff there was a noticeable improvement in grip but i felt i had to wrestle with the car to keep it in the direction i wanted. I put this down to a trade off for more grip and lived with it. Off the lights the quaife would wander, pulling me from left and right as it transferred the torque across the wheels. It feels almost as though it is switching from ‘yes’ to ‘no’ as it gives power to each wheel.
    Likewise, in corners the quaife would drag you into a corner, often to the point you have to counter steer to avoid mounting the curb, again... something i have gotten used to and something i thought i would have to live with.
    Chris at Regal and i had talked about this in the past and i have done my own research to try and understand why this is happening, and if there is something i can do with my driving style to counteract it. This is when Chris introduced me to the wavetrac differentials.
    The wavetrac diffs have an entirely different operation to any other, and unlike other diffs they allow transfer of power even if the axle is not loaded... so if you lift a wheel in a corner, you still get power transfer to the wheel on the ground. This does not happen with other diffs. Explaining how they work is another post entirely, but you can read up on them here - http://www.wavetrac.net/
    On the road the Wavetrac diff is a far more polished performer, the trade offs that i lived with while driving with the quaife have disappeared. You can charge into a corner, apply the power and not have to fight the diff around the corner, the wavetrac feels like it is working with you to go faster, the ‘slingshot’ feel is much more progressive and it makes me feel as though i am driving smoother and faster. You are not fighting with it like the quaife.
    Likewise, off the lights... the wavetrac slings you forward, in a straight line. You do not have to struggle to keep the car in a straight line like with the quaife. The wavetrac diff feels more sophisticated and makes the quaife diff feel agricultural, like driving a tractor lol!
    As i stand now i own two diffs, which my missus will agree with you... is not entirely sane. The quaife will certainly not be going back in the car and will be staying on the bench at regal, im smitten with the wavetrac.
    sigpic

Good read and might explain why I personally have never really enjoyed driving Astra VXRs with LSD's fitted
    sigpic

Comment

thanx for that comparison Wayne. I agree it is very smooth and it doesn't wrench the steering at all. mine is working better too now my suspension and alignment has been done.

Comment

So does that mean you have your old diff for sale then? I will buy it if so

Corsa with all vauxhalls factory fitted extras and stage 4 mods+more..

Comment

how much is the wavtrac mate??

Comment

Ha ha this is a spooky read
            Project J is here Carbon Parts for Astra J Or vectra vxr brake conversions to astra/corsa please PM

Comment

Do I have to buy one Wayne?

Comment

Originally posted by Lawro View Post
                Do I have to buy one Wayne?
                i would mate.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by wayne/vxr View Post
                  i would mate.
                  Thats even more money down the pan!

I will speak to Chris tomorrow.

Comment

very good english for you wayne..

good read though mate

Comment

Originally posted by swampyVXR View Post

good read though mate
                      Lmfao

Corsa with all vauxhalls factory fitted extras and stage 4 mods+more..

Comment

awesome write up wayne Been v intrested to hear how the wavetrack would drive. Im also guessing with your Quaife you felt the flaws more because of the power you have. The quaife feels so smooth to me and i think that is down to the fact the set up is spot on at the moment. was thinking about how surely it woould get more agressive with more power. im pretty sure im right after reading you post

Comment

When I get a windfall I've been expecting later in the year, the ST will be treated on a Quaife, although I've never experienced a better LSD in a FWD car than my old Rover with a torSen LSD.
                          sigpic
                          Mike Hughes

Comment

how much is it mate ?

Comment

Originally posted by swampyVXR View Post

good read though mate
                              paula helped mate,so it did not look like i'm bad at english.
                              but thanks to you they all know i am now.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X