This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• De-cat or not?

Just ordered a EDS IPF from regal and was wondering if it would be worth getting a decat pipe since it can clear the codes.

Any advice/experience with a decat would be appreciated as would which make to go with. I currently have the full remus system so I'm guessing it would just be a direct replacement?

I'm expecting it to be a good bit louder and heard the rumours about flames etc but also that it reduces torque which is what I'm aiming to gain so again some advice would be nice.

Cheers
    Carbon Flash Navi, 20" wheels, Eibach springs, Courtenay Sport high flow panel filter, Pace FMIC, Courtenay Sport front pipe and 200 cell sports cat, Courtenay Sport remap, AP Racing 9040 6 pot calipers, Reyland 375mm J-hook rotors with Ferodo DS2500 pads front, Ferodo coated discs with EBC Red Stuff pads rear, HEL brake hoses all round, Samco coolant hoses, CG Motorsport 666 clutch kit including solid flywheel.

As long as a decat is mapped accordingly you should (if anything) have a gain in torque as there is no restrictions of the gases. Also people don't realise that te best exhaust for a turbo is no exhaust so a decat would be well suited.
    I presume you know all about MOts and spot checks etc.

Comment

Yeah I'm aware of the Mot fail but i'll be keeping the cat pipe anyway so i'll just change it over. As for spot checks I don't generally drive around like a **** to draw attention to myself so I'll take my chances. I was going to go for the cobra decat as well, any clue how good a fit etc they are?

Cheers
      Carbon Flash Navi, 20" wheels, Eibach springs, Courtenay Sport high flow panel filter, Pace FMIC, Courtenay Sport front pipe and 200 cell sports cat, Courtenay Sport remap, AP Racing 9040 6 pot calipers, Reyland 375mm J-hook rotors with Ferodo DS2500 pads front, Ferodo coated discs with EBC Red Stuff pads rear, HEL brake hoses all round, Samco coolant hoses, CG Motorsport 666 clutch kit including solid flywheel.

Comment

Unfortunately mate the fact thy you own a corsa vxr and have a Remus means that you draw attention to yourself. I'd opt for sports cat. For the amount of power you will actually lose having a sports cat it's not worth risking the fines.
        If you get an arsey copper they will give your car a full once over as well so a £60 fine could turn into a lot more.

My mate had tinted plates and got pulled for them. They checked his Tyres and the lot. Luckily they didn't notice his decat so he got away with it.
        He is seriously considering a sports cat now just in case.

Comment

I see what your saying but I've had it 2 years now and never been pulled over once (touch wood) so like I've said I'll take my chances. I've read about the sports cats and problems with them failing/colapsing which puts me off considering the extra cost of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Arcticmd83 View Post
            I see what your saying but I've had it 2 years now and never been pulled over once (touch wood) so like I've said I'll take my chances. I've read about the sports cats and problems with them failing/colapsing which puts me off considering the extra cost of them.
            Do it!! I just got a cobra 3" decat. Sounds awesome.

Comment

I doubt it would be a 3" I'd go for but I'm well tempted. £135 on ebay with free postage and life time warranty, sounds good to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Arcticmd83 View Post
                I doubt it would be a 3" I'd go for but I'm well tempted. £135 on ebay with free postage and life time warranty, sounds good to me.
                Good man

Comment

I will be getting the eds ipf unit and a cobra decat pipe when I have more funds. I ran a saxo for 2 years with a straight through race exhaust and was never pulled for it and we all know how young lads love their little saxos lol. I wanna know how it will sound with a full decat on my car. I say go for it mate. You only live once.

Comment

The only car I've ever been pulled over in was my first one, a mini 998cc with a straighty through twin centre exit, coppers claimed it was too loud ha, ha, should've tried sitting in it. I say the sam e thing far too often myself but was just seeing what opinions on different manufacturers were.

Comment

i know about mot's etc but can i de-cat my standard exhaust or is there not much point doing so?
                      cheers
                      tom

Comment

i got 6 bhp from going full de-cat from sports cat mate, also i'm an old git and have been pulled 12 times,i have never ever had a policeman look under the car for a cat..
                        keep the std exhaust for MOT's and put the de-cat back on after (i never run mine on the road)
                        sigpic

Comment

Go for it mate, im running full bastuck race system and love it

Comment

Originally posted by jord46 View Post
                            Go for it mate, im running full bastuck race system and love it
                            How much was that mate? I take it you have to ditch or modify the diffuser?

Comment

Originally posted by vxrsimon88 View Post
                              How much was that mate? I take it you have to ditch or modify the diffuser?
                              no mate, the full de-cat pipe is just the front 1/2.
                              you can also get the full bastuck in twin exit or std triangle.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X