This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coolant - Concentrate or Ready Mix?

I've just fitted my new forge hoses and cool running thermostat and decided I might as well put some new coolant in. I was just about to put in the new coolant and realised i bought concentrate instead of ready mix. Is there any advantage to either? I've mixed water/coolant 55/45 because 50/50 seemed to be too strong for what vx say in the manual. And i've just used normal tap water. Does this sounds ok to people? Or should I be going for ready mix?

I'm not very sure on coolant, don't really normally have to worry about it like oil and other fluids.

Thanks for any advice

don't mix different brands. i'd fill with straight water and run it then drain and refill it. i'm fussy so i use distilled water and water wetter with about 50/50 but change to about 70/30 in winter

Comment

Originally posted by smokinvxr View Post
      don't mix different brands. i'd fill with straight water and run it then drain and refill it. i'm fussy so i use distilled water and water wetter with about 50/50 but change to about 70/30 in winter
      I've drained all the old stuff out before putting the new stuff in but I didn't clean the system out with water, I might give that a go this weekend, thanks.

So is that the only difference between concentrate and ready mix, concentrate you can get to the exact mix that you want? What do people think about 55/45 mix?

Comment

Normal water is ok. 55/45 mix sounds also fine.

Comment

you can experiment with mix ratios in a cup and put it in the freezer overnight(freezers run around -25'C).

but most recommend 50/50 for corrosion protection..changing mix ratios will hardly make a differance to temps(only reason for changing ratios).i'd just stay with a 50/50 mix to be safe.

Comment

Thanks guys, i think ill stick with 55/45 at least for summer and see how it goes, might change to 50/50 as we go towards winter.

Comment

Have a look at your manual, tells you what coolant to use in there
              arctic 212, stage 3 regal with all extra's
              Now for sale, £9500 ONO all thanks to my penus lol

Comment

Originally posted by t13nos View Post
                Have a look at your manual, tells you what coolant to use in there
                I've had a look everywhere in the manual and i can't find it anywhere. I cant say im the most patient person when it comes to reading (I'm an IT consultant, I need to be able to press ctrl F to take me straight to what I want ) but all i could find was a bit talking about how VX's factory coolant goes down to -28 and you shouldnt use different strength of coolant because it can damage the engine. With that and Halfords coolant going to about -35 at 50/50 i thought 55/45 would be about right.

If anyone finds it in the manual, let me know please.

Comment

Working...
                X