This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thorney are using Mobil 1 10/60!!

I'm off on my European road trip in a week and a half and I'm going to give the car a bit of a service before I go, with new oil and filter etc. I have been looking around on here at past threads and most people seem to use either 0/40 mobil 1 or VX 5/30. I thought I would give Thorney a quick email to see what they recommended between the two because my car is running their stage 2 package and they have come back and said they use Mobil 1 10/60, which has thrown a bit of a spanner in the works. Does anyone use this oil in their car? It says on halfords website it is for high mileage older engines, which I wouldn't say would describe many corsa VXRs.

I had an oil change the other day and used mobil 0/40

Comment

5-40 in mine

sigpic

Comment

Don't think 10w60 is acceptable according the owners manual - if you have warranty I would check as it lists all the Viscosities permitted

Astra

Comment

Originally posted by IanJ View Post
          Don't think 10w60 is acceptable according the owners manual - if you have warranty I would check as it lists all the Viscosities permitted
          +1

But check

Comment

Originally posted by randomgary View Post
            5-40 in mine
            Is that the Valvoline stuff that Courtney recommend?

Yeah I haven't checked the manual again but I didn't think it was on the list, that is one of the reasons i was so surprised

Comment

i use millers 10w60 cfs in my stage 3 bus and have been told thats spot on i also change it every 3000 miles
              STAGE 6 Courtenay intercooler, Quaife lsd, 3" exhaust, Percys tophat, gt28/68 hta, custom made parts, Whiteline rarb, DAP springs, Courtenay 16 grove discs, Mintex M1144 pads, stainless braided hoses, brake cooling ducts, 5.1 dot fluid, Insignia washer jets. over400bhp and 400f/lbs Courtenay tuned.

Comment

Originally posted by H4RRY View Post

Yeah I haven't checked the manual again but I didn't think it was on the list, that is one of the reasons i was so surprised
                If you check here - the 0w40 has the GM opel approval std whereas the 10w60 doesn't it seems http://www.mobil-1.co.uk/cms/new-life-0w-40.aspx

Astra

Comment

If you check here - the 0w40 has the GM opel approval std whereas the 10w60 doesn't it seems http://www.mobil-1.co.uk/cms/new-life-0w-40.aspx
                  Yeah, thats true. I'm just a bit worried that some people say that 0/40 is too thin for a turbo car?

Comment

yup thats the one

sigpic

Comment

Yeah, thats true. I'm just a bit worried that some people say that 0/40 is too thin for a turbo car?
                      Don't be soft lol

Comment

Originally posted by TrystanG View Post
                        Don't be soft lol
                        Ha ha, thats one way of making me just suck it up and buy some oil!

Comment

pmsl, you're having a jirafe

Note to the OP - please recontact TMS and ask why they feel the need to use a 70% thicker Oil in your car
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by R15VXR View Post
                            pmsl, you're having a jirafe

Note to the OP - please recontact TMS and ask why they feel the need to use a 70% thicker Oil in your car
                            I'm almost thinking or emailing him back and checking he didn't make a mistake.

Comment

that's for a standard engine with a daisy driver remember it's summer and it's gonna get hotter, i'll be using a 10w 50 or 10w 60 next oil change but that's with a hard track session in mind and tuned st3+. a 10w 40 is a good oil

Comment

Working...
                              X