Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Front Tyres, ESP Warning Light & Turbo Lag Problems!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Front Tyres, ESP Warning Light & Turbo Lag Problems!

Hi people, sorry if this has been covered before. I've just had my front 2 tyres replaced, 215/35/r18's. Loving the lower profile but the way. However, I noticed when I was heading home the ESP light is flashing for no reason. Normally it flashes up when I hammer it and cars struggling to grip, obviously... but now it's just flashing when I'm crusing along in 6th doing 40mph.

I noticed when I put my foot down aswell, it's casuing the turbo to lag like **** so I pressed the dash button to deactivate and it was fine... At first I thought they might have hit something under the car with the jack...

Any idea's people?

Thanks in advance for the replies.

Y did u change the size for?
    Astra VXR GTC, Summit White, Aero Pack, Performance Seat Pack, AFL's, Sat Nav, Climate Control, Tints! SOLD

Comment

Why would you change your 2 fronts to 215 and keep your backs 225?

Comment

The ESP system works by comparing wheel speeds using the ABS sensors, so any difference in wheel speed will fool the system into thinking that there is a loss of traction/deflated tyre, and cause it to try and intervene. I suspect your problem will remain until you make sure that all four tyres are the same size.

Comment

You haven't changed the profile.

Standard profile is 225/35/18 so you have only changed the width which will make very little difference.
          M135i

Comment

Originally posted by iDan x View Post
            You haven't changed the profile.

Standard profile is 225/35/18 so you have only changed the width which will make very little difference.
            the 35 is a % of the width - so there is a difference in rolling radius of 1.15% or 22mm per rotation

Astra

Comment

You wheel speed sensors are picking up that the front wheels are rotating faster than the rears due to the smaller tyre being fitted. Got 2 options, change the front tyres back to the correct size or change the rears to match the front.

Comment

Originally posted by IanJ View Post
                the 35 is a % of the width - so there is a difference in rolling radius of 1.15% or 22mm per rotation
                This is correct !

Comment

Originally posted by IanJ View Post
                  +1
                  Astra VXR GTC, Summit White, Aero Pack, Performance Seat Pack, AFL's, Sat Nav, Climate Control, Tints! SOLD

Comment

I've changed the front 2 as the previous owner out 40's on all round. I plan on changing the rears ASAP.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies, gents. New tyres are getting fitted tomorrow!

Comment

Working...
                      X