This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes?!?!?!?

Today I had to do an emergency stop, 1st time in a real situation, but admit I was doing a little over the speed limit as most do and someone pulled out In front of me, went hard on the brakes ABS kicked in and tried to save me but the standard brakes couldn't do the job that I asked them to do. managed to swerve around the car whilst still heavily on the brakes, bear in mind this is a national speed limit country road at around 9pm on a 3 miles straight my speed was around 70 as there was no one around. No comments about "shouldn't be speeding" wouldn't have mattered as the car still would have pulled out and the speed limit still wouldn't have been slow enough the stop. worst of all the car that pulled out was a black car and had no lights on what so ever and pulled out about 30 metres in front of me and I had my 6000k HIDs on and full beams but the car pulled out from a 45 degree angle on my side of the road so wasn't visible at all.

My question is, I no longer have trust in my brakes although I have just fitted new drilled and grooved discs and put new pads in all brakes. I want new upgraded ones with more stopping power and obviously a big caliper for looks. I don't want to spend too much money as I'm saving for a new car but what brakes would anyone recommend?????????

A quick point - but the ABS is designed to let you swerve around, also the fact you managed to kick off the ABS suggests in itself that you had sufficient braking power, I'd look to the tyres as better contact with the road has a dramatic change in stopping distance etc

Id inspect the discs tomorrow for any obvious heat spots and if ok then I'd try and do as many normal miles on the brakes to let them de-glaze, bed back in

Astra

Comment

How new are the discs and pads? Did you put them through the heat cycles to bed them in?

I think in a real situation like that, your brakes will never feel the best lol. You need anchors for proper **** pants moments lol.
      Arden Corsa VXR

Comment

Originally posted by C16 VXR View Post
        How new are the discs and pads? Did you put them through the heat cycles to bed them in?

I think in a real situation like that, your brakes will never feel the best lol. You need anchors for proper **** pants moments lol.
        If your tyres are crap - better brakes won't help you

Astra

Comment

Obviously...that's common sense.
          Arden Corsa VXR

Comment

Maybe Compare your 60mph-0 Time to another Corsa VXR using Torque App.

Comment

Functionally the brakes arnt bad in this kind of situation. If you had been driving hard then they do cook fairly quickly.

To be honest I don't think any brakes would have helped in this situation. 30metres at 70mph is a very short space indeed, it sounds like the abs worked brilliantly.

Best rule for fast road use is you may be confident of your skills but it's other road users you have to worry about!

sigpic

Comment

Highway code stopping distance at 70mph is 75m,

If the car pulled out in front of your, when you where 30m close to the car - I would say the brakes, ABS all worked perfectly and allowed you to avoid the car and drive around.,

Comment

Originally posted by C16 VXR View Post
                  Obviously...that's common sense.
                  Yes. But you're in corsa chat.

Oh and to add. If you want improvement, you've got the choice of upgrading pads and discs or complete overhaul ie Vectra set up (roughly £600) k sports (roughly £1k) or AP's (roughly £1400).
                  #weusedtobetheshit

Comment

Originally posted by BobbyP View Post
                    Yes. But you're in corsa chat.

Oh and to add. If you want improvement, you've got the choice of upgrading pads and discs or complete overhaul ie Vectra set up (roughly £600) k sports (roughly £1k) or AP's (roughly £1400).
                    Or Porsche set up
                    FRESH Clique 24 (24 hours)
                    WG Motorworks - RABBID REMAP
                    Ko6 Turbo. 3"Turbo Back custom exhaust De-Cat - KW V2 Coilovers Porsche Brakes
                    331 BHP Fully forged - Fast Road Cams - Plus Williams Clio 3

Comment

Originally posted by andygray View Post
                      Or Porsche set up
                      are these making an appearance in a few weeks.
                      Astra J VXR Arden Blue

Instagram - @JODYVXR38

Comment

70 mph with a stopping distance of 30m sounds like i need those brakes on mine lol. I had a similiar situation and had to brake and swerve and the ABS worked a treat, The only thing wrong with the corsa brakes is that they bloody squeak lol
                        Astra J VXR Arden Blue

Instagram - @JODYVXR38

Comment

Originally posted by andygray View Post
                          Or Porsche set up
                          I don't even think they exist.
                          #weusedtobetheshit

Comment

Originally posted by BobbyP View Post
                            I don't even think they exist.
                            You wait
                            FRESH Clique 24 (24 hours)
                            WG Motorworks - RABBID REMAP
                            Ko6 Turbo. 3"Turbo Back custom exhaust De-Cat - KW V2 Coilovers Porsche Brakes
                            331 BHP Fully forged - Fast Road Cams - Plus Williams Clio 3

Comment

Working...
                            X