Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How difficult is it to fit silicone hoses?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How difficult is it to fit silicone hoses?

Just been looking at getting some hoses but there is a mixed opinion some people say they are hard to fit some say they was easy ..anyone had trouble with fitting them?

Awkward to fit yes. Hard No.
    Easy diy home mechanical job.

Sent from My S6 edge
    sigpic
    Rabbid Stage 3, Airtech front mount, GM Hids, Cobra Exhaust, Direct route ram air, EBC Disc's, Red stuff pads and Hel brake lines.
    The list goes on

Comment

Coolant or boost?

If coolant then it's harder as you need to drain, refill the system and bleed. Get it wrong and you could damage the head gasket.

Depends how confident you are with tools?

Put it this way if you've gotten someone to fit suspension or brakes rather than doing it yourself I wouldn't be attempting to fit coolant hoses as my first big job

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
      Corsa C 1.4 (SOLD), Corsa D SRI Turbo (SOLD), Facelift Corsa D 1.4 SE (SOLD), Now Corsa E VXR...plus about 20 other non VXs

Comment

I think its best i give it to the mechanics then lol

Comment

You won't damage the head at all. Drain it all from the bottom hose. Change all the hoses then fill the header tank with fresh coolant. Fill to the max line. Run the car with the heater on full and keep eye on the level. I personally keep some coolant in the car. Then go for a drive get the engine hot and once the thermostat has open the level will go down a tad. Go home and top up done.

Sent from My S6 edge
          sigpic
          Rabbid Stage 3, Airtech front mount, GM Hids, Cobra Exhaust, Direct route ram air, EBC Disc's, Red stuff pads and Hel brake lines.
          The list goes on

Comment

Not always

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
            Corsa C 1.4 (SOLD), Corsa D SRI Turbo (SOLD), Facelift Corsa D 1.4 SE (SOLD), Now Corsa E VXR...plus about 20 other non VXs

Comment

Mate do the job yourself gives you huge satisfaction too.

Sent from My S6 edge
              sigpic
              The list goes on

Comment

True lol in that case might just get a friend to give me a hand
                Wish me luck guys

Comment

If you need help I will pm you my mob number

Sent from My S6 edge
                  sigpic
                  The list goes on

Comment

What I meant is the self bleeding doesn't seem to get all the air out.

Usually you need to piss about massaging the bottom hoses and using the bleed valve on the radiator - had to do that twice myself and most posts on here say similar.

(This is on a Corsa but the Astra like that guy ^ may need less faffing about).

If you don't bleed the system correctly you could end up with airlocks in the system and possibly cause overheating/the headgasket to go.

This is why i ask how confident you are with tools;

If you wouldn't do suspension yourself which is just a simple bolt on/bolt off job with nothing to go wrong, i wouldn't mess with the coolant system which needs a bit more understanding/mechanical "feel".

Yes it is a satisfying job if you do it but just be aware what could happen if you get it wrong.

Good luck!
                    Last edited by u33db; 17 February 2016, 07:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by u33db View Post

If you wouldn't do suspension yourself which is just a simple bolt on/bolt off job with nothing to go wrong, i wouldn't mess with the coolant system which needs a bit more understanding/mechanical "feel".

Yes it is a satisfying job if you do it but just be aware what could happen if you get it wrong.

Good luck!
                      I wouldn't say nothing can go wrong doing suspension in fact I'd say it's got worse repercussions. Mess up with coolant and the engine suffers damage but mess up suspension and you could be upside down in a ditch.

Comment

Originally posted by vxrossco View Post
                        I wouldn't say nothing can go wrong doing suspension in fact I'd say it's got worse repercussions. Mess up with coolant and the engine suffers damage but mess up suspension and you could be upside down in a ditch.
                        Well TBF if that happened you probably shouldn't be fitting an air freshner, let alone anything else!

Comment

hahahah

Comment

Working...
                          X