Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the 5th and 6th gear pull like on the corsa vxr?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the 5th and 6th gear pull like on the corsa vxr?

Hi, potential vxr buyer here wanting to find out as much as possible about a couple of cars I'm looking at. One of which is the corsa. Love everything about it apart from the fuel economy. I currently drive a 1.2 sxi and apart from being incredibly slow fifth gear is pretty much unuseable.
    The one thing I've been unable to find out is how the 5th and 6th gear pull on the vxr. Also how much improvement would I get with a stage 1 remap??

Thanks for any help
    Dan

Originally posted by littlepace View Post
    Hi, potential vxr buyer here wanting to find out as much as possible about a couple of cars I'm looking at. One of which is the corsa. Love everything about it apart from the fuel economy. I currently drive a 1.2 sxi and apart from being incredibly slow fifth gear is pretty much unuseable.
    The one thing I've been unable to find out is how the 5th and 6th gear pull on the vxr. Also how much improvement would I get with a stage 1 remap??

Thanks for any help
    Dan
    5th/6th gear are not really for aggressive driving. Yes they do pull but not like 2nd/3rd/4th.

Wouldn't bother with a stage 1 map, either leave standard or go stage 3

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Comment

5th will probably feel like 3rd does in your 1.2

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
      Corsa C 1.4 (SOLD), Corsa D SRI Turbo (SOLD), Facelift Corsa D 1.4 SE (SOLD), Now Corsa E VXR...plus about 20 other non VXs

Comment

Originally posted by u33db View Post
        5th will probably feel like 3rd does in your 1.2

spot on
        sigpic
        MY13 ARDEN BLUE CORSA OPC IN MY GARAGE

Comment

4th is best on a standard Corsa Vxr i always thought

Comment

3rd was always my favourite. 20-77 joining a motorway.

5th i mainly used for 40mph cruising

6th for motorway

Comment

6th all the time. Economy ftw
              W20 ADM's led Lighting shop, see link below for details
              http://www.vxronline.co.uk/forum/sho...-lighting-shop

Comment

Originally posted by w20adm View Post
                6th all the time. Economy ftw
                Lol! I find when driving my Mrs corsa you can stick it in 6th at 30mph all day long and don't have to change down to accelerate away. Picks up pretty well to be fair.

Comment

The pull is still pretty good. Stage 1 with the injectors is good - especially if you don't want to get another exhaust and intercooler. Not sure why people say just go stage 3 - as it's not an option / not for everyone (additional stress on engine / reliability etc)

With stage 1 the pull is still pretty surprising in higher gears!

With regards to your note on fuel - if you are worrying about economy then maybe you should look at the diesel version!
                  VXMMI 4 curently for sale. Message for details

Comment

i would say 6th gear pull is enough at 70 on motorway to easily overtake without dropping to 5th..
                    Name's Lewis - White Corsa Burg 279
                    Follow me on twitter and instagram - @LNWeth
                    Location - Isle of Wight

Comment

Depends what you are overtaking!

Corsa C 1.4 (SOLD), Corsa D SRI Turbo (SOLD), Facelift Corsa D 1.4 SE (SOLD), Now Corsa E VXR...plus about 20 other non VXs

Comment

Originally posted by Tom{BSc} View Post
                        Not sure why people say just go stage 3 - as it's not an option / not for everyone (additional stress on engine / reliability etc)

With stage 1 the pull is still pretty surprising in higher gears!

With regards to your note on fuel - if you are worrying about economy then maybe you should look at the diesel version!

How is it additional stress on engine? You'll be running higher intake temps than a stage 3

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Comment

higher boost pressure, more torque?.... How is it not additional stress on the engine?
                          Name's Lewis - White Corsa Burg 279
                          Follow me on twitter and instagram - @LNWeth
                          Location - Isle of Wight

Comment

Originally posted by caino6 View Post
                            Lol! I find when driving my Mrs corsa you can stick it in 6th at 30mph all day long and don't have to change down to accelerate away. Picks up pretty well to be fair.
                            I watched a pretty interesting video the other day that mentioned this (I used to do it often too). Turns out this can cause pre-ignition which can be pretty bad for the engine! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyEYaN6Y_FM

Comment

Originally posted by trebble67 View Post
                              I watched a pretty interesting video the other day that mentioned this (I used to do it often too). Turns out this can cause pre-ignition which can be pretty bad for the engine! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyEYaN6Y_FM
                              I agree to an extent, I don't like labouring the engine, but its really not labouring the engine in the corsa at all. But in comparison if I was to do it in my GSi, 5th gear 30mph, its pretty much impossible therefore I don't do it in that at all

Comment

Working...
                              X