This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap Exhaust Upgrade - Advice Needed

I have a 2010 Corsa VXR which is completely stock mechanically. I am quite disappointed with the quietness of the engine/exhaust. You have to really give it some and get past 4,000 rpm to really hear a decent noise, and even then it's not amazing.

I don't have much money to spend at all (no more than £100) and want to improve this. I have read about various exhaust modifications such as removing the centre silencer or taking out the precat, which can both be done for under £100.

I don't want my car to start sounding like thunder and being overly loud so people hear it and turn round and think 'oh it's a boy racer whose fitted a massive exhaust on a small car', but a bit of grunt and growl would be nice.

I've heard good and bad things about both of these options...

I've read that removing the middle silencer and fitting a normal pipe instead is great, can be done for £40 or so, and even when the rest of the exhaust is stock it still gives a bit more grunt to the sound and some pops as well. However I've also read a post from a person who apparently removed the middle silencer from their stock exhaust and it made no difference at all to the sound.

I've read that removing the precat and installing a decat clear pipe is great, gives a louder sound to the engine and it's fine for MOTs. However I have also heard people say your car won't pass and MOT without ALL the original cats installed, and I've read people say that removing the precat affects the backpressue for the turbo which reduces the turbo's life.

What is the best and safest way for me to spend £100 to get my stock exhaust a little bit louder?

Any help or advice would be appreciated!

I have a pre-cat delete and the silencer removed, made no difference.

That could possibly be because the burg backbox is apparently very restrictive in comparison to the clubsport (remus) one.

Comment

Originally posted by Desert_Cloak View Post
      I have a pre-cat delete and the silencer removed, made no difference.

That could possibly be because the burg backbox is apparently very restrictive in comparison to the clubsport (remus) one.
      Mine is just a normal VXR, would that make a difference?

Comment

So is mine, i just fitted the burg backbox lol

Im not 100% sure how restrictive/ non restrictive the standard triangle one is.

Best advice is to save up some cash amd get a remus 2 piece, from what ive read its not too loud but has a nice rasp

Comment

Originally posted by Desert_Cloak View Post
          So is mine, i just fitted the burg backbox lol

Im not 100% sure how restrictive/ non restrictive the standard triangle one is.

Best advice is to save up some cash amd get a remus 2 piece, from what ive read its not too loud but has a nice rasp
          I don't really want to spend more than £100. It's not that I don't have the cash, it's just that I really couldn't justify spending a few hundred pounds on an exhaust just to make a car sound nicer

Comment

I get what your saying.

I thought the same and fitted the parts i did for less tham 200 but it didnt work out in the end so basically just wasted money.

Comment

Fair enough - thanks for your replies, very helpful

Comment

Save up more and do it right the first time

insurance increase will probably take away most of this

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

On my first Corsa I just replaced the backbox with a straight pipe, still had both cats and silencer. Made it louder but not over the top. Cost me about £60 IIRC.

Comment

The thing is peoples definition of "louder" or "nice" varies greatly;

(Usually skewed badly if the poster is younger!)

Fitting a precat decat or chopping out the centre pipe silencer will make it "louder" but only slightly - unless you had 2 VXRs standing next to each other you'd never realise.

Chopping out the backbox will make it noticable louder but i really wouldn't bother - it will look wrong to anyone buying the car next, not sound as nice as a proper backbox and also do nothing for power.

I would recommend you don't bother and find other means to add noise (cone filter?) or else view it as a chance to add power so you can justify spending the money on a proper system.

The exhaust doesn't need to be new btw - there are plenty of good used performance systems on ebay all the time for less than half the new price.
                    Corsa C 1.4 (SOLD), Corsa D SRI Turbo (SOLD), Facelift Corsa D 1.4 SE (SOLD), Now Corsa E VXR...plus about 20 other non VXs

Comment

Echo the above, unless you can get a good unit second hand, don't waste your money. Why spend 60-100 on something that won't give you what you're after just because it's less than the 200 you need to spend?

Comment

Originally posted by u33db View Post
                        The thing is peoples definition of "louder" or "nice" varies greatly;

(Usually skewed badly if the poster is younger!)

Fitting a precat decat or chopping out the centre pipe silencer will make it "louder" but only slightly - unless you had 2 VXRs standing next to each other you'd never realise.

Chopping out the backbox will make it noticable louder but i really wouldn't bother - it will look wrong to anyone buying the car next, not sound as nice as a proper backbox and also do nothing for power.

I would recommend you don't bother and find other means to add noise (cone filter?) or else view it as a chance to add power so you can justify spending the money on a proper system.

The exhaust doesn't need to be new btw - there are plenty of good used performance systems on ebay all the time for less than half the new price.
                        +1 for this............

best bet is to save your money and keep an eye on ebay, can find yourself a few bargains on there.

a big selling point for me on my vxr was it already had a scorpion double decat with remus cat back so it meant one less expense for me.

you could stick a pipercross or AEM cone on for a bit of induction noise, can pick either up for around the £50 mark
                        Arden Corsa VXR
                        Scorpion double decat, Remus backbox, AEM Cone, Courtaney intake & boost hoses, H&R Cup kit

Comment

did see this on ebay though, its unbranded and only £150. dunno what the quality would be like on it.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EXHAUST-C...oAAOSw6ShZVNLt

wouldn't do it unless you have access to a friendly MOT tester, it does away with pre cat and main cat
                          Last edited by seanaldo1987; 29th December 2017, 01:07 PM.
                          Arden Corsa VXR
                          Scorpion double decat, Remus backbox, AEM Cone, Courtaney intake & boost hoses, H&R Cup kit

Comment

I would honestly just get a 2nd hand precat decat. They are always up for sale second hand and really easy to fit yourself. You’re not going to fail an MOT either.
                            Have just a precat gave both my Astra and corsa a slightly sportier tone (opposed to just engine) in the cabin, and gave more of a whooshy turbo noise from the outside, not necessarily exhaust. Also made both cars drive slightly smoother.
                            My corsa has a 2 piece Remus and I wouldn’t go louder, although does sound fantastic.

Comment

Originally posted by seanaldo1987 View Post
                              did see this on ebay though, its unbranded and only £150. dunno what the quality would be like on it.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EXHAUST-C...oAAOSw6ShZVNLt

wouldn't do it unless you have access to a friendly MOT tester, it does away with pre cat and main cat
                              Thats the Toyosport ones.

They're good quality for the price, as good quality as Cobra etc.

They're standard bore though, i.e. not 2.5" inch
                              Corsa C 1.4 (SOLD), Corsa D SRI Turbo (SOLD), Facelift Corsa D 1.4 SE (SOLD), Now Corsa E VXR...plus about 20 other non VXs

Comment

Working...
                              X