Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cam belt replacement time

Hi all,

My Corsa VXR has reached the point where the Cam Belt needs replacing. I'm planning to get it done through my local garage that I use and trust rather than going to VX to get it done for obvious reasons.

My question is, should I make sure my garage fits genuine Vauxhall parts or is an after market kit that's cheaper just as good? I've skimmed the forums and can't find anything definitive.

I've received a quote from Vauxhall for the Cam belt kit @ £175 inc. VAT and the Water Pump (plus gasket) @ £132 inc. VAT. This is roughly £100 more than what my local garage are quoting for their sourcing of what they say is genuine VX parts.

I just need some advice on how not to get mugged off really

Thanks

Can save your self a few quid on the water pump as this isn’t run off the cambelt, so shouldn’t need doing unless you have reason to believe it needs replacing. Aftermarket kits are usually Gates or Continental which are usually what the genuine ones are anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by caino6 View Post
      Can save your self a few quid on the water pump as this isn’t run off the cambelt, so shouldn’t need doing unless you have reason to believe it needs replacing. Aftermarket kits are usually Gates or Continental which are usually what the genuine ones are anyway.
      I just read on other posts that it's best to do the pump too. I'm finding Gates Timing Belt and Water Pump Kits like this one online for around £100. If Gates is a genuine VX part then how come VX and my garage are quoting me 2x-3x that price?

The guy at Vauxhall Parts said their parts are manufactured by GM which implied they don't use Gates or Conti. I feel like he might be having me on but not sure.

Comment

Thats for the Astra, where the waterpump is driven off the cambelt so it saves work/moeny doing them all at once.

Its not on the Corsa so do themn individiually and only when required.
        Corsa C 1.4 (SOLD), Corsa D SRI Turbo (SOLD), Facelift Corsa D 1.4 SE (SOLD), Now Corsa E VXR...plus about 20 other non VXs

Comment

Gates kit K015603XS is what you want (without water pump) or KP15603XS (with waterpump).

Its about 75 or 85 depending which one you go for...but rememeber if you get the waterpump done you'll get stung for more labour and coolant so more expensive.!
          Corsa C 1.4 (SOLD), Corsa D SRI Turbo (SOLD), Facelift Corsa D 1.4 SE (SOLD), Now Corsa E VXR...plus about 20 other non VXs

Comment

Originally posted by u33db View Post
            Gates kit K015603XS is what you want (without water pump) or KP15603XS (with waterpump).

Its about 75 or 85 depending which one you go for...but rememeber if you get the waterpump done you'll get stung for more labour and coolant so more expensive.!
            Ah okay. So the water pump runs off the auxiliary belt then? Not sure when/if it advises replacing the water pump in the service book. Will have to check.

So you think ignore what VX Parts are saying and go with the Gates K015603XS (without water pump)? I'm only a few thousand off 100k and it's a 57 plate so getting on a bit! Just want to make sure I'm fitting the best quality parts for the car without getting ripped.

Thx

Comment

Originally posted by jimmytommyt View Post
              Ah okay. So the water pump runs off the auxiliary belt then? Not sure when/if it advises replacing the water pump in the service book. Will have to check.

So you think ignore what VX Parts are saying and go with the Gates K015603XS (without water pump)? I'm only a few thousand off 100k and it's a 57 plate so getting on a bit! Just want to make sure I'm fitting the best quality parts for the car without getting ripped.

Thx
              thats up to you where you get your parts from, do you no anyone in the trade that can get trade club as this will bring the price down.
              Originally posted by Bobbyp90
              I am pretty awesome.
              BOOM
              the Moaning Mod

Clique No: 7

Comment

As said above if you have had no problems with coolant circulation and car temp is running ok then just get the belt done , the Astra is worth doing both at the same time but you do not have to replace pump if its ok .
                stage 3

Comment

Originally posted by jiraffe View Post
                  thats up to you where you get your parts from, do you no anyone in the trade that can get trade club as this will bring the price down.
                  Obviously I’m aware garages get trade rates and I am aware it’s my choice where I get parts from :|, my question was whether a cheaper aftermarket kit like Gates would be as good as fitting whatever the VX genuine parts are

Comment

Originally posted by nippyrascal View Post
                    As said above if you have had no problems with coolant circulation and car temp is running ok then just get the belt done , the Astra is worth doing both at the same time but you do not have to replace pump if its ok .
                    Okay cheers for that. Much appreciated

Comment

my question was whether a cheaper aftermarket kit like Gates would be as good as fitting whatever the VX genuine parts are
                      Yes it will if you go with a good brand like Gates/Conti as those are OE on most cars (not sure about VX but its good enough for other big marques anyway).

Comment

So you think ignore what VX Parts are saying and go with the Gates K015603XS (without water pump)?

Thx
                        I would.

Thats the exact kit i fitted to mine about 3 years ago now and have had no problems, and the car regularly gets bounced off the limiter.

Cheap as well that way!

Comment

Working...
                        X