Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2016 & Newer Vauxhall Corsa VXR Ownership Opinions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2016 & Newer Vauxhall Corsa VXR Ownership Opinions?

Hello,
    I am looking to buy a 2016 Vauxhall Corsa VXR with around 20,000 miles on the clock for circa £10,000 soon and just wanted to get peoples ownership thoughts on the car before I seriously consider buying one!

Here are my questions:
    What specification should I look to go for? (Are the heated seats and reversing sensors worth it)
    Are they reliable?
    What sort of MPG do you get on average?
    Is it fun to drive?

I've look at other cars such as the Seat Ibiza Cupra 1.4L TSI however the engine is not reliable at all as its turbo charged and super charged. Also, I've considered the 2014 Fiesta ST but the interior and overall looks don't inspire me at all - I can't really see any other options for the same performance.

So it would be great to get peoples actual ownership opinions on the car, and what to look out for when I'm going to buy one.

Thanks for your help everyone!

I've got a 2014 Corsa D and it's been one of the most reliable cars I've owned.
    Things to look for are:
    Transmission, make sure there is no whine from the box, Check the gearstick doesn't move on acceleration, usual other checks on transmission such as crunchy gear changes.
    Engine: check from cold for poor starting, lumpy idle and anything else that doesn't feel right.
    Things that are fairly common issues are:
    Coil packs
    Wheel bearings
    Gearbox bearings, but not expensive to fix
    Piston 4, but not common on std cars
    Worth doing a compression test on the cylinders to confirm no existing engine problems.
    Optional extras are nice to have but it doesn't make the car worth any more.
    Mpg is in the region of 22-25 urban, 40+ motorway.
    I've owned the old 56 plate Ibiza FR, very reliable, but I've read that the new models are less so. Parts prices were eye watering on them though.
    The fiesta I owned 04 plate was one of the least reliable cars ever, customer service from ford was also truly shocking.

Comment

I've gone to a 16 plate Fiesta from 2 Corsas...granted not the ST but even throwing lowering springs and all that at it its not what i'd call a great handling car....they're setup tail happy and the 40 profiles tyres (same as ST) make it mega twitchy over any surface unless ultra flat motorway. You can't change the profile either due to clearance and availability so avoid, plus there are other niggles...e.g ST brakes are no where near as good as the Corsa due being smaller, dashboard is too "busy" etc.

The Corsa by contrast i feel is much better...you can drive it comfortably and fast on any surface without crapping yourself it'll bounce of the road. However i don't know about 40+ mpg in real world driving though...best i've ever seen was 33 mpg but i suppose its subjective depending on roads and what you call "taking it easy.". Its nicer inside as you sit in the car rather that on it (seat position).

Looks wise they're both nice...possibly the Fiesta is more restrained/grown up but less aggressive. You've highlighted some known problems with the Corsa but the Ford has issues too...there seems to be a question mark on the durability of most modern Ford engines, from Focus RS down to 1.0 from what i'm finding having shifted marques...

I've got know knowledge of the Ibiza but between Fiesta Mk7 and Corsa defo get the Corsa.
      Corsa C 1.4 (SOLD), Corsa D SRI Turbo (SOLD), Facelift Corsa D 1.4 SE (SOLD), Now Corsa E VXR...plus about 20 other non VXs

Comment

I've had mine a year and has been reliable so far. No major issues.

I get around 30mpg.

I think it's fun, but I generally drive relatively slow. When I need the power though its there and the handling is good.

I like the heated seats nice additional but it wouldn't change my decision on whether to buy one

Just look for the things thats been mentioned above before buying..

and if you do buy just do regular services and I'm sure you'd enjoy the car

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk
        Corsa D Vxracing Various bits & bobs done
        https://www.vxronline.co.uk/forum/ch...rsa-d-vxracing

Instagram Vxracing488

Comment

I have sent you a beneficial private message

Comment

Hi have had my 2017 vxr for around three months now had a fn type r before it, have put wheel spacers on it and a pipercross plus removed back silencer for a bit of noise , car handles and drives well, bit scarce in the cabin for a few things in imo compared to a 8yr old Honda ie still key start no centre console no folding wing mirrors, things you expect from a top range hatch . I think it handles better is sharp and smooth to drive , put the vxr engine in a Griffin lol what ever mate enjoy [emoji1303]
            Stevie

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by owenzy46 View Post
              Hi have had my 2017 vxr for around three months now had a fn type r before it, have put wheel spacers on it and a pipercross plus removed back silencer for a bit of noise , car handles and drives well, bit scarce in the cabin for a few things in imo compared to a 8yr old Honda ie still key start no centre console no folding wing mirrors, things you expect from a top range hatch . I think it handles better is sharp and smooth to drive , put the vxr engine in a Griffin lol what ever mate enjoy [emoji1303]
              Stevie
              Nice one man. It does seem like it's lacking a few things like you say auto folding mirrors and keyless start etc, it's a shame really for such a recent model. What sort of MPG do you get when driving steadily? To be fair though, I can't find any other car that has the performance of the VXR for around the same price, it's a shame my insurance quotes on the newer 1.8L Seat Ibiza Cupra is insane as I think I would buy one of those lol! Does it feel fairly nippy then when you put your foot down? As long as its fun to drive!

Comment

Certainly when buying used you need to look at several things and not just 'I like the car'.
                As I mentioned in an earlier post, I owned the previous model Ibiza FR, it's the same engine and transmission as the Cupra, different map and styling. I have to say that in terms of performance, practicality, daily running costs etc, the Ibiza is ahead of the Corsa VXR. However, handling, repair costs and fun factor are much better on the Corsa. Overall, the Corsa is my favorite car!
                The syncro went on the Ibiza at a low mileage. When the dealer started to dismantle the box, it was clear it was completely trashed. Seat authorised a complete box and to give you an idea of repair costs, it shares the box with the Audi TT, the repair cost was several grand, under warranty!!! Any VAG car has similar parts costs, an Audi we had resulted in a new cat for the MOT at £1000. Corsa repair costs are nothing like that.
                Insurance costs should be similar, but it depends on age of the driver and postcode mainly. When I sold my Ibiza, I was paying about £200/year and a prospective buyer who was 18 couldn't get a quote lower than £8k. I did have driver age restrictions on the Ibiza, but never had this on the Corsa.
                I see the lack of keyless start on the Corsa as a good thing. All this keyless rubbish makes many new cars so easy to steal these days. Maybe that's why the Ibiza insurance is so much higher?

Comment

Originally posted by vxrmjp View Post
                  Certainly when buying used you need to look at several things and not just 'I like the car'.
                  As I mentioned in an earlier post, I owned the previous model Ibiza FR, it's the same engine and transmission as the Cupra, different map and styling. I have to say that in terms of performance, practicality, daily running costs etc, the Ibiza is ahead of the Corsa VXR. However, handling, repair costs and fun factor are much better on the Corsa. Overall, the Corsa is my favorite car!
                  The syncro went on the Ibiza at a low mileage. When the dealer started to dismantle the box, it was clear it was completely trashed. Seat authorised a complete box and to give you an idea of repair costs, it shares the box with the Audi TT, the repair cost was several grand, under warranty!!! Any VAG car has similar parts costs, an Audi we had resulted in a new cat for the MOT at £1000. Corsa repair costs are nothing like that.
                  Insurance costs should be similar, but it depends on age of the driver and postcode mainly. When I sold my Ibiza, I was paying about £200/year and a prospective buyer who was 18 couldn't get a quote lower than £8k. I did have driver age restrictions on the Ibiza, but never had this on the Corsa.
                  I see the lack of keyless start on the Corsa as a good thing. All this keyless rubbish makes many new cars so easy to steal these days. Maybe that's why the Ibiza insurance is so much higher?
                  I’m glad I’ve done some research and looked around as I soon found out that the Seat Ibiza Cupra was off the cards due to the repair costs if anything goes wrong with the DSG gearbox or engine - I would totally be screwed if that went as I wouldn’t be able to afford those repair costs. Like you mentioned, the repair costs if anything went wrong with the Corsa (touch wood) would be significantly less.

So do you currently still have a Corsa VXR? That’s a good point, it would make sense that keyless entry would increase the insurance for me & the 1.8L engine... I got quoted £750 for a years insurance on the 2016 VXR & similar for the 2015 1.4L Cupra, but then around £2k + on the 1.8L Cupra...

Only thing that’s worrying me is the depreciation, I don’t want to get a VXR then in two years time it be worth no where near what I paid for it... I’m unsure how well they hold their value.

Comment

I've got the VXR Nurburgring, similar performance output to the E VXR, and it's the best car i've owned by a longshot. I'm not going to list all the cars i've owned, but it definitely puts a smile on my face. Honestly, for what it is, it pulls well, and leaves a lot of the local ****boys with their financed Mercs/BMWs/STs red-faced.

Horror stories about P4 etc, can be a bit overwhelming for prospective buyers I think, but with regular servicing, and a bit of common sense (not booting cold, and letting it cool down after a good boot), it's not such a common issue.

Originally posted by Hazzaa View Post
                    I don't want to get a VXR then in two years time it be worth no where near what I paid for it... I'm unsure how well they hold their value.
                    Being that they've just bought the GSI back, and killed off the VXR brand, I think they have the potential to atleast hold their value in future?

My opinion of course
                    Astra Nurburgring #363
                    330BHP/310FT/LB
                    N West

Comment

Originally posted by vxrmjp View Post
                      Yes agree with most of what you say , but the keyless bit , so there were very little cars stolen years ago because they all had keys back then ? So why do they have to break in to get your keys if it’s that easy ?
                      As they say mate if they want it they’ll get it no matter wot .

Comment

Originally posted by owenzy46 View Post
                        Yes agree with most of what you say , but the keyless bit , so there were very little cars stolen years ago because they all had keys back then ? So why do they have to break in to get your keys if it’s that easy ?
                        As they say mate if they want it they’ll get it no matter wot .

Of course cars with keys get stolen, but it seems that smashing the front door down, grabbing the keys and driving off is a bit old fashioned these days. Technology now makes it much easier for the scum looking to steal a car. You don't need to smash anything, just some cheap software and a laptop, oh, and less than 60 seconds!
                        It's so easy, I would not buy a keyless car unless it can be disabled.
                        Have a read: [URL="https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47023003"]
                        Last edited by vxrmjp; 29 January 2019, 08:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hazzaa View Post
                          Nice one man. It does seem like it's lacking a few things like you say auto folding mirrors and keyless start etc, it's a shame really for such a recent model. What sort of MPG do you get when driving steadily? To be fair though, I can't find any other car that has the performance of the VXR for around the same price, it's a shame my insurance quotes on the newer 1.8L Seat Ibiza Cupra is insane as I think I would buy one of those lol! Does it feel fairly nippy then when you put your foot down? As long as its fun to drive!
                          Yea great fun and is well nippy mate spacers made a good difference to imo

Comment

Working...
                          X