Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What gearbox oil to use? 🤔, gearbox bearing or clutch release bearing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What gearbox oil to use? 🤔, gearbox bearing or clutch release bearing?

So my gearbox bearings are getting noisey
    (at least that’s what I think, It’s knocking when the I am not pressing the clutch and idling but when I press the clutch down the noise goes away, when the car is acutually moving I can’t hear it but I dont know if the noise is still there or not as theres a lot of noises that are also happening when moving, also the noise just comes and goes sometimes it’s bad other times not at all, so I don’t know if it’s the gearbox input bearing or if it’s the clutch release bearing, any help on that would be greatly appreciated too what do you guys think that will be??)

But anyways planning on replacing the gearbox in a couple months and fitting a new, better clutch with it but in the meantime I want to put thicker oil in to try and suppress the noise, I know the oil that should be used is 75w80 but what should I use to suppress the noise? Is 75w90 thick enough, should I just go for 75w140 or is that too thick?

If anyone has answers to any of those it will be greatly appreciated!!!
    Last edited by Sam.T44; 24th May 2019, 07:29 PM. Reason: Added info

Originally posted by Sam.T44 View Post
    So my gearbox bearings are getting noisey
    (at least that’s what I think, It’s knocking when the I am not pressing the clutch and idling but when I press the clutch down the noise goes away, so I don’t know if it’s the gearbox input bearing or if it’s the clutch release bearing, any help on that would be greatly appreciated too what do you guys think that will be??)

But anyways planning on replacing the gearbox in a couple months and fitting a new, better clutch with it but in the meantime I want to put thicker oil in to try and suppress the noise, I know the oil that should be used is 75w80 but what should I use to suppress the noise? Is 75w90 thick enough, should I just go for 75w140 or is that too thick?

If anyone has answers to any of those it will be greatly appreciated!!!
    How much oil have you got in it? A dry fill of the gearbox is approx 2.4 litres but a wet fill is 2.2 litres and it’s safe to overfill by approx 0.5 litres
    Try adding a bit more oil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by GPH69 View Post
      How much oil have you got in it? A dry fill of the gearbox is approx 2.4 litres but a wet fill is 2.2 litres and it’s safe to overfill by approx 0.5 litres
      Try adding a bit more oil

Thank you, I haven’t checked how much oil in, the noise is something that happens only after it gets really hot maybe it is a bit low I have some 75w80 lying around at work, I’ll give it a top up tomorrow and see if it’s any better

Comment

Originally posted by Sam.T44 View Post
        Thank you, I haven’t checked how much oil in, the noise is something that happens only after it gets really hot maybe it is a bit low I have some 75w80 lying around at work, I’ll give it a top up tomorrow and see if it’s any better
        Yes always best to put fresh oil in and overfill a bit on these gearboxes

Comment

Working...
        X