This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bluefin or IPF?

There seems to be snippets of debates between these two products throughout the forum, I currently have a Corsa Vxr at present, has no performance mods bar a de-restricted airbox and ITG filter, I'm looking at taking steps towards more serious tuning, My initial plan was to go for the Bluefin, I've even looked at some of the 2nd hand units in the for sale section but I'm put off slightly, say the average price of a 2nd hand unit it £200, the you have to pay Thorney £220 to have it reset to stage 1, then if you decide at a later date you want to go to stage 2 for example, then you have to pay £100, then another £100 for stage 3?

I suppose if you're not planning on going above stage 1 then it's good value, I.E saving you £130 over the cost of a brand new one from Thorney (£550) but if you're planning on going above stage 1 then surely it's best to just buy new, then the updates are free aren't they?

Failing that, how does the IPF compare, from what I understand instead of there just being Stage 1, 2 & 3 etc. you have a variety of different maps to choose from to suit your driving style? and at the moment Regal are selling them for £495 while stocks last making it a cheaper option than the Bluefin, but is it better value for money?

I'm not sure if I like the simplicity of the Bluefin or if I like the idea of the versatility that the IPF offers,

Any help appreciated as I'm really confused!
    Drives '04 Vectra SRi 2.0T

it really is a tin of worms mate as there are so many pros and cons of each item.

I myself have the IPF: EDS and i cannot fault what so ever, i can choose loads of maps to try out to see which suits my car the best and its free when you do put new uprades on your car to switch maps.

never tried Blufin so i cannot comment on it at all. Im sure its a great bit of kit.

But i went for the IPF cause of the free maps when you up grade the car and cause the offer on it at the time was not to miss.

Up to you matey what you go for, we can only give you our opinions on it.
    Corsa Has Left The Building

Comment

if you buy a bluefin from TMS, you pay the now lower price of £550, and if you want to go up a stage you get the new upgrade map for free.

i would go to who ever is closest, that way IF you have a problem, you dont have far to go

Comment

Originally posted by Miller View Post
        i would go to who ever is closest, that way IF you have a problem, you dont have far to go
        Well said, thats about the best advice your going to get!
        Corsa VXR Arden, 18's
        sigpic

Comment

Second hand Bluefin cost is getting confused. Firstly, if the unit is less than 12 months old it can be re-set for free, the only cost is £100 to get the upgrades (it gets you all the levels not just level 2 etc).

But yes, get a new unit from us and £550 gets you all the maps for life.

Comment

Bluefin for me as i dont know IPF...
            MB E63s AMG
            MB C63 AMG & Performance Package
            Megane R.S. 250 CUP - Gone, But Not Forgotten
            Opel Corsa OPC / VXR - Gone, But Not Forgotten

Comment

Weather its me or weather its my car I dont find the bluefin much cop.

Flat spots, hesitant exceleration.
              sigpic

Comment

1 yr warranty or 3 yr's warranty?

Comment

Thats what i was going to ask? what warrenty to Regal and Thorney offer?

Comment

Originally posted by miniman View Post

I would say get it looked at if you can. If its flatspots then its likely to be mechanical, a map on its own cant really cause a flatspot, if it could it would effect every car it was one and thats clearly not the case. Whereabouts are you, happy to help out if we can?

As regards warranty, we are 3 years, 60k miles.

Comment

i know both of them. My friend had the bluefin and i've the IPF. And he was surprised when he saw how my car was fast.
                      now, he run the IPF and he is very happy!

Comment

Originally posted by miniman View Post

Really need to get it into thorneys for a look if it isnt making much difference with the bluefin on the car, cos it really really should!!

Comment

Boost control solenoids? AFM etc etc, boost leaks. As said the map wouldnt cause this, unless it a dodgy dave backstreet remap
                          sigpic
                          Burg blood in my veins.... Ice cool Baby!
                          !!Warning a VXR may inspire confidence!! Now for sale
                          http://www.vxronline.co.uk/forum/sho...ds-and-stanced!

Comment

Working...
                          X