This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brand new car "running in" time?

When I picked my VXR up from the dealers a little under a week ago as I was leaving the last question I asked him was "how long do I have to run the engine in for?" and to my surprise he said "You don't have to as they are so tuned these days, just drive like you normally would!!!"

I really couldn't believe he said that. What do you lot recon I should do as up to now I haven't taken it over 5K?

Thanks in advance
    Mark
    sigpic

Originally posted by S666MAH View Post
    When I picked my VXR up from the dealers a little under a week ago as I was leaving the last question I asked him was "how long do I have to run the engine in for?" and to my surprise he said "You don't have to as they are so tuned these days, just drive like you normally would!!!"

I really couldn't believe he said that. What do you lot recon I should do as up to now I haven't taken it over 5K?

Thanks in advance
    Mark
    Run it in for 1000 miles, recommended to stay under 4000 rpm, but can you resist it, lol! I tred to take it easy for the first 1000 miles but to be honest i just drove normally. My car was brand new too (arden blue corsa vxr) and now done about 8000, running sweet.

Comment

Originally posted by bluecorsavxr View Post
      Run it in for 1000 miles, recommended to stay under 4000 rpm, but can you resist it, lol! I tred to take it easy for the first 1000 miles but to be honest i just drove normally. My car was brand new too (arden blue corsa vxr) and now done about 8000, running sweet.
      Cheers I was going to run it in and stay below 5k max for about 500 miles.
      sigpic

Comment

I'm just coming up to 1000 miles, and I've been keeping it under 4000

Comment

Nah, just drive it normally. We're not in 70's anymore! Cars come with 3 year guarantees, made by machines (not hands) and the technology is massively improved. Don't worry about it. Just don't rag the **** out of it because it's never good anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Somerset Bumpkin View Post
            Nah, just drive it normally. We're not in 70's anymore! Cars come with 3 year guarantees, made by machines (not hands) and the technology is massively improved. Don't worry about it. Just don't rag the **** out of it because it's never good anyway.
            The cars still need to be run in. Just because they come with a guarantee doesn't mean that you don't have to take care. Change the oil regularly, look after the engine like the warm up the engine and leave the engine running for a while after some fun.
            sigpic

Arden Blue Corsa VXR , 18" anthracites, Quaife LSD, AP VXRacing 4pot brakes, KW Variant3 (40mm drop) & Uprated Fast Road Geometry Setup, larger intercooler, 3" Nurburgring exhaust conversion, ITG panel filter, Nurburgring front & back splitters, colour coded roof rails

Comment

Originally posted by Keith.Nor View Post
              The cars still need to be run in. Just because they come with a guarantee doesn't mean that you don't have to take care. Change the oil regularly, look after the engine like the warm up the engine and leave the engine running for a while after some fun.
              Yeah I do that religiously! In the clio I had an Omex 600 ECU and from a cold start I used to leave it running till the the revs dropped to idle, so I kinda do it to the corsa anyways.
              sigpic

Comment

Yes, but that's just good practice for looking after your car. You don't need to take extra special care of it from brand new. Just always look after it, that was my point. I've done 20 000 miles in mine and all I've had to do is change the front tyres and take it for it's first service.

Comment

I took it easy in mine for the first 600 miles, then started to stretch its legs. I really would suggest an engine flush and oil change at 1000 miles. The **** that comes out is incredible!

And contrary to popular belief, they are not run in on the bench before they go in the car!

Comment

Originally posted by AndyGSi View Post
                    I took it easy in mine for the first 600 miles, then started to stretch its legs. I really would suggest an engine flush and oil change at 1000 miles. The **** that comes out is incredible!

And contrary to popular belief, they are not run in on the bench before they go in the car!
                    Nope, Bentley engines are i know that much!

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmi View Post
                      I'm just coming up to 1000 miles, and I've been keeping it under 4000
                      me too no probs YET!!

Comment

Working...
                      X