X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust problem

Hi all,

As this is my first turbo car I was wondering whether anyone on here could clear something up for me?

On n/a cars the exhaust system goes like this: Manifold, Downpipe, Cat Converter, Centre Section, Back Box. I was just wondering how a turbo car exhaust system differs and what it available to me.

Prob after xmas will be getting the Remus, so would like to keep it all remus tbh.

Thanks in advance
    Mark
    sigpic

Simple enough really, on Vauxhalls, Manifold and Turbo in one (known as a maniturbo IIRC) then precatalyst, main catalyst, then the centre section and finally the back box

Comment

Originally posted by AndyGSi View Post
      Simple enough really, on Vauxhalls, Manifold and Turbo in one (known as a maniturbo IIRC) then precatalyst, main catalyst, then the centre section and finally the back box
      spot on

Rabbid Tuned - WG Motorworks
      www.wgmotorworks.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by James_VXR View Post
        spot on
        I don't suppose any of you guys can supply a pic of the system set up?

Does the above mean the turbo is in the manifold?
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by S666MAH View Post
          I don't suppose any of you guys can supply a pic of the system set up?

Does the above mean the turbo is in the manifold?
          We aim to please, from a Z20 engine...

Comment

We aim to please, from a Z20 engine...

Wow very impressed mate I presume that's the manifold and turbo? What goes onto the turbo? has anyone got a pic from the manifold right through to the back box?

Sorry if I'm asking alot
            Mark
            sigpic

Comment

heres a good picture of the engine the air intake is diffrent but you get the idea of the manifold/turbo Pre-cat & cat etc

Comment

Wow very impressed mate I presume that's the manifold and turbo? What goes onto the turbo? has anyone got a pic from the manifold right through to the back box?

Sorry if I'm asking alot
                Mark
                if you look at the picture above you can see that the air inlet is on the top left of the turbo which is sucking air from the air box, on the bottom left of the turbo is the intercooler pipe which goes down to the intercooler and this is then connected to the throtle body.
                on the right side of the turbo you have the exhaust manifold which is using exhaust gases to spin the turbo the exhaust gases are then passed through the precat on the right side of the turbo which then flows thriugh the Cat and then the exaust system and out the back!

and so goes the circle of life!!
                hope this helps!

Comment

Originally posted by hardcore vxR View Post
                  if you look at the picture above you can see that the air inlet is on the top left of the turbo which is sucking air from the air box, on the bottom left of the turbo is the intercooler pipe which goes down to the intercooler and this is then connected to the throtle body.
                  on the right side of the turbo you have the exhaust manifold which is using exhaust gases to spin the turbo the exhaust gases are then passed through the precat on the right side of the turbo which then flows thriugh the Cat and then the exaust system and out the back!

and so goes the circle of life!!
                  hope this helps!
                  Yeah mate it has helped me somewhat, just trying to get an understanding of my new engine. On you pic where the clutch is, to the left of it there is a cylinder type thing, is that the pre cat?

Mark
                  sigpic

Comment

Yeah mate it has helped me somewhat, just trying to get an understanding of my new engine. On you pic where the clutch is, to the left of it there is a cylinder type thing, is that the pre cat?

Mark
                    yes it is thats what the downpipe replaces

Comment

Originally posted by TJ View Post
                      yes it is thats what the downpipe replaces
                      Huh? How can the downpipe replace the pre cat? Or do ppl on here get a downpipe to replace the pre-cat? It's just I have heard someone on here getting a downpipe?

Mark
                      sigpic

Comment

Huh? How can the downpipe replace the pre cat? Or do ppl on here get a downpipe to replace the pre-cat? It's just I have heard someone on here getting a downpipe?

Mark
                        I dont really get what your saying? The pre cat is the cylinder on the pic further up after the turbo before the Main cat and it gets removed and replaced with something that looks like this

HTH
                        Corsa VXR Arden, 18's
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by VX AND View Post
                          I dont really get what your saying? The pre cat is the cylinder on the pic further up after the turbo before the Main cat and it gets removed and replaced with something that looks like this

HTH
                          Yeah got that mate. The above pic is of a downpipe, am I correct? Would I be also correct in thinking that the reason ppl replace this is to get rid of the restrictive pre cat to get more power?

Cheers
                          Mark
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X