Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flat battery

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Flat battery

    Well since i hadn't driven my car since last saturday, i was itching to take it out for a good run.....all was going well until i went to start the car...nothing happened, heard the fuel pump but the car was dead.

    I had to bloody jump start the thing and it seems to have been ok today since. Took it on a 50 mile trip to let it re gain its charge, pulled up and switched the car off and re tried half hour later and all was good.

    Thing is what caused it to loose charge? The car has been sat on the drive for a week but its the not the first time and every other time its started

    I shall try it in the morning and see what happens

  • #2
    it maybe the internal boot light had been jammed on, this can make the battery loose charge rapidly
    The Derv-ert
    "Goes quicker than a smackheads giro"

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Astra888 View Post
      it maybe the internal boot light had been jammed on, this can make the battery loose charge rapidly
      I did wonder if i hadn't closed a door or the boot properly, the other thing was i left the bc timer running after letting the car idle, but thats a very long shot lol.

      Comment


      • #4
        Could be a number of reasons, something electrical staying on in the car. Duff battery or alternator. I had a problem with my last car it would randomly go flat, could be months between it happening and the dealer said they couldn't fault it. Turned out to be the fuel pump relay sticking on and pump was going causing a drain of 8 amps on the battery until it went flat!
        sigpic

        CORSA VXR
        -
        Courtnay Sport panel filter and Downpipe,
        Remus and Retro fit factory Bluetooth and GID

        Comment


        • #5
          I will see what happens but i know the battery has now lost its green light.

          Comment


          • #6
            theres a thing you can buy that plugs into the fag socket keeps power to the memory and door then u disconect the battery
            WARNING all replys are incorrect as usual

            Comment


            • #7
              take the car to a garage and ask them to perform a "drop test" on the battery, this will confirm if the battery is any good.

              if it is then i would get a clip on ammeter to se how much current is being pulled of the battery when the ignition is off, should only be milliamps.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by S20 GST View Post
                take the car to a garage and ask them to perform a "drop test" on the battery, this will confirm if the battery is any good.

                if it is then i would get a clip on ammeter to se how much current is being pulled of the battery when the ignition is off, should only be milliamps.
                Yeah good idea matey I will leave it for now and see if it happens again.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by VXR Matt View Post
                  I will see what happens but i know the battery has now lost its green light.
                  Maybe a faulty battery which the cold weather the past week will soon see it off. I tend to leave the Corsa standing for 3 to 4 weeks at a stretch and it will start first time with no problems, will probably be eating my words tomorrow I would pop it to the dealer and ask them to check it, they should replace it under warranty.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    lol blame it on a relay or a loom, that's always a good one for us heehee
                    we often find faulty radio units cause a problem with drainage

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by paulk View Post
                      theres a thing you can buy that plugs into the fag socket keeps power to the memory and door then u disconect the battery
                      I'm pretty sure the lighter socket is only live when the ignition is on.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by chester View Post
                        Maybe a faulty battery which the cold weather the past week will soon see it off. I tend to leave the Corsa standing for 3 to 4 weeks at a stretch and it will start first time with no problems, will probably be eating my words tomorrow I would pop it to the dealer and ask them to check it, they should replace it under warranty.
                        Ive had it since may and in the 6042 miles its now done it has been absolutely fine, so something has all of a sudden happened unless it was just a freak one off thing. Nothing has been changed on the car either.

                        Oh well we shall see what happens

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          same thing happened on my old corsa. turned out it was a duff battery. got changed under warrenty
                          Tech2 Diagnostics
                          Cruise control, Radio programming, Display Programming, Anti Hijack, Check Control In the West Midlands. PM for Info

                          sigpic

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by VXR Matt View Post
                            Ive had it since may and in the 6042 miles its now done it has been absolutely fine, so something has all of a sudden happened unless it was just a freak one off thing. Nothing has been changed on the car either.

                            Oh well we shall see what happens
                            It could be that if the battery was slightly duff it coped during the milder weather then with it being much colder it's lost its charge. Hopefully it will be the battery as easier to replace.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by chester View Post
                              It could be that if the battery was slightly duff it coped during the milder weather then with it being much colder it's lost its charge. Hopefully it will be the battery as easier to replace.
                              Yeah if anything i would rather it just be a duff battery.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X