X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• most economical gear?

just got me new car, but wondering...

Which do people on here think is the best gear to use for driving around build up areas like streets and town etc.

The gear which you mantain speed with once on the go,,, 4th or 5th?

so as to not labour the engine or to use too much fuel.

cheers

Originally posted by hornby View Post
    just got me new car, but wondering...

Which do people on here think is the best gear to use for driving around build up areas like streets and town etc.

The gear which you mantain speed with once on the go,,, 4th or 5th?

so as to not labour the engine or to use too much fuel.

cheers
    If you have fuel economy in mind I would suggest using the gear the sits you at around 1500 rpm, max 2000. You will still be able to pick up speed quite easily if your sitting at this level, whilst also making sure the engine is not being laboured.

Comment

look at your fuel computer the instant consumption will give you the answer
      sigpicAstra VXR Stage 2, 279.7bhp Petrol, 292.0 bhp LPG
      Zafira 222 BHP LPG (stage 1), 295 Petrol (stage 3)

Need any stainless bolts for your rocker cover or anywhere else on your motor? PM for a good price

Comment

20 4th
        30 5th
        40+ 6th

Change gear before 2k rpm you don't want to be able to hear your car dump at all :P

Independent bespoke mapping available see my Facebook or find me at WG Motorworks

Clique #14

Comment

as we have here speed limit in city 60 kph (37 mph) and till 80 kph (50 mph) you have just pennalty... 6th for me, if i am not in hurry...
          MB E63s AMG
          MB C63 AMG & Performance Package
          Megane R.S. 250 CUP - Gone, But Not Forgotten
          Opel Corsa OPC / VXR - Gone, But Not Forgotten

Comment

well back from a drive ;p,

love the car to bits, pulls really well, had it up to 6k a few times now, maybe i should not (75 miles) but i cant resist AT ALL. lol

consumption is 20 mpg at the moment :/

once i get abit more used to the car im sure i will figer out a good town driving method.

Comment

20 mpg lol you got a lead foot?

Comment

lol, just need some getting used to the gears and that, have perfect control over the car though , infact i feel like the need for some more horsepower already

Comment

Originally posted by brano_co View Post
                  as we have here speed limit in city 60 kph (37 mph) and till 80 kph (50 mph) you have just pennalty... 6th for me, if i am not in hurry...
                  37mph? thats a random speed

Comment

Originally posted by 2 HEL View Post
                    37mph? thats a random speed
                    was trying and 6th gear is working from 45 kph (27 mph) - know that not healty for engine - but possible
                    MB E63s AMG
                    MB C63 AMG & Performance Package
                    Megane R.S. 250 CUP - Gone, But Not Forgotten
                    Opel Corsa OPC / VXR - Gone, But Not Forgotten

Comment

Originally posted by brano_co View Post
                      was trying and 6th gear is working from 45 kph (27 mph) - know that not healty for engine - but possible
                      engine must be labouring!!

Comment

Originally posted by Discobiskit View Post
                        20 mpg lol you got a lead foot?
                        more like a brick sat on it

Comment

Late at night when coming home from the gfs i go to 30 put it in 6th then cruise control on and it feels fine!
                          Corsa Has Left The Building

Comment

If your concerned about fuel economy get a diesel! Seriously though 30mph in 6th gear is very bad for the engine. These boosted engines are not economical around town. Based on the last +600 miles (110 quids worth of juice) the most economical although painfully slow is 68 mph in 6th gives 42mpg. On average im getting 31.33 mpg. Thats good enough for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Harrierx2 View Post
                              If your concerned about fuel economy get a diesel! Seriously though 30mph in 6th gear is very bad for the engine. These boosted engines are not economical around town. Based on the last +600 miles (110 quids worth of juice) the most economical although painfully slow is 68 mph in 6th gives 42mpg. On average im getting 31.33 mpg. Thats good enough for me.
                              So what your saying you shouldnt have your car in 6th gear at 30?

The car doesnt seem to struggle at all and the turbo wont be kicking in as it below the revs (to when it normally kicks in)
                              Corsa Has Left The Building

Comment

Working...
                              X