This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Universal Intercoolers

I have been looking at getting an intercooler.... I have looked at the Courtenay Sport one and the Thorney one, but I feel they are too big for the sixe of the turbo and engine.

The regal one looks more suited to the Corsa and priced at £386 it's quite good value and cheepr that the other two.

But I'm a tight **** and want to save money even further ..... so I have been looking at a few alternativs............ I have found a few universal intercoolers on Ebay I can get one of them for about £100 (see the saving )

So I need someone to mesure a standard intercooler and even a regal one if you can so that I can work out what size I need to buy... Or can any one tell me what one will be best.

Here they are on Ebay http://motors.shop.ebay.co.uk/items/...r&_osacat=9800

To be honest i would stick with an intercooler from regal or thorney as they have been specially designed for the corsa regarding size and cooling e.t.c, its worth just splashing out the extra 100 quid or so and have the job done properly, plus theres the advantage of warranty

Comment

Hi Chubby.

My regal intercooler ive just taken out of the box has the following core dimensions :-

length 47cm

Height15cm

thickness 8.5 cm

internal pipe dia 5cm.

distance between mounting lugs from their

centre line 70.5 cms

Comment

Those universal coolers look like they will nicely block the airflow to the radiator, I would advise you not to do this modification on the cheap from ebay. Save up and purchase one designed specifically for the corsa vxr. You have a choice courtenay, regal or TMS.

Comment

Originally posted by trog View Post
          Hi Chubby.

My regal intercooler ive just taken out of the box has the following core dimensions :-

length 47cm

Height15cm

thickness 8.5 cm

internal pipe dia 5cm.

centre line 70.5 cms
          Cool Thanks for those. I think I may of found one sutable..... Please could you also get me the entire length of the unit 'end-to-end' too.

About it blocking air flow the the rad the intercoolers I'm looking at are no taller than the Regal ones but are wider... They should block the rad no more than a atandard cooler and less than the Court's one and TMS.

Comment

Measured from ends of pipes ie total length 86 cms.Each tank with pipe adds ~20cms to the length of the core, so ~40cms in total. HTH

Comment

Thankyou...... I may have something lined up now

If I can sort something out I may be in the possision to put together a kit for fitting thease intercoolers at a fraction of the cost of a tuner

Comment

Originally posted by chubby blue View Post
                Thankyou...... I may have something lined up now

If I can sort something out I may be in the possision to put together a kit for fitting thease intercoolers at a fraction of the cost of a tuner
                Good luck mate... Im all up for people taking moding into there own hands. More fun just gota be prepared to fa2e the consiquences should any probs occur. But i say go for it whats the worst that can happen.

Comment

Originally posted by trog View Post
                  Hi Chubby.

length 47cm

Height15cm

thickness 8.5 cm

internal pipe dia 5cm.

centre line 70.5 cms

whats the outside diameter of the intake and outtake pipes mate??

Comment

good to see some intercooler work going on we are doing something similar. Are these FMIC's your talkin bout?

Comment

Yes front mounted if thats what it stands for.......... It should just sit where the standard one did only deeper and taller.

I'm going to strip the front off on my sorsa at the weekend to find out how much room i have to play with and also mesure those pipes.

Comment

been having a look at the ones on ebay never thought of looking for universal IC's.... you got me thinking now.
                        keep us updated this what modding all about

Comment

Exactly! It's about getting you hands dirty and making something in your shed that's better than what vauxhall spent millions on developing.

Comment

you'll like my thread search 'credit crunchin air intake system'
                            been developing a 'flowmaster' style air intake system..
                            were bout you in the north west?

Comment

I live in Ormskirk near Liverpool. And yes I have been watching your thread.

Comment

Working...
                              X