This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do they know?

Ok i really want more power and so I'm considering a remap. However, there seems to be several stories about dealers refusing to touch mapped cars regardless of impact of the remap, and the warranty seems like a whole can of worms.

So my question is how do the dealers know your car has been remapped ? and can they tell if you remap and then change it back.

Im not looking to lead anyone on i just want to understand how; after all mine is a company car.

it can be done! tehy also have eyes on here! best to be legit anyway and denying this is classed as fraud

sigpic

Comment

if it is plugged in for say fault diagnosis for example they might see the differences in the ECU then look further and find a different map than standard, if you where to remove and re install the original before it went in i dont think they would ever know.
      So a handheld would be best for you i would say.

I think? thats how i've understood it anyway.

Comment

theres a install date on the map or somting so they can tell if they look
        WARNING all replys are incorrect as usual

Comment

We are all good upstanding honest people on here They cannot tell unless the ecu is sent away for inspection electronicaly, very expensive, so unless you are really requiring a very expensive repair you should be ok.
          Last edited by miniman; 22 December 2008, 10:15 PM.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by randomgary View Post
            it can be done! tehy also have eyes on here! best to be legit anyway and denying this is classed as fraud
            yep understand - I'm just curious.

Comment

the piggy back from ai might be your best bet...or just go to a tms performace centre then its a proper dealer
              WARNING all replys are incorrect as usual

Comment

Could you not just a get an ECU from a written off car, and just swap the ECU over when taking it in for servicing?

(This is my 1st post btw, Hi !!)

Comment

thats naughty!

Comment

haha interesting........bit dodgy!

any news on the race exhaust yet tms?

Comment

Originally posted by Beanz View Post
                      Could you not just a get an ECU from a written off car, and just swap the ECU over when taking it in for servicing?

(This is my 1st post btw, Hi !!)

Wont work the transponder codes will need to be changed for the keys, can be done of course but hardly a hot swap type deal.

Dealers (and Vauxhall) can tell, indeed they are spending more and more time investigating as they are getting bored of paying out (and who can blame them). However, it is unlawful for a dealer to say "your warranty is gone" if the car is modified, they (and Vauxhall) are perfectly entitled to refuse warranty cover if they suspect that the issue is related to tuning work but if they step beyond that then it is against EU regs and the fines can be dramatic.

However, better to be up front with you dealer, create an open and friendly relationship with them (they are humans after all) and have you car tuning undertaken by a company that will look after you if problems do emerge and you shouldn't have any problems.

Comment

Originally posted by VXRBrett View Post
                        haha interesting........bit dodgy!

any news on the race exhaust yet tms?
                        January will be a busy month for us I feel:

Corsa VXR new stage 2 and stage 3
                        3" race system
                        New wheels
                        VXR-R and VXR-S

Astra VXR new stage 3
                        3" race system
                        New wheels
                        VXR-R and VXR-S
                        New brakes

Comment

so when u think the race exhaust will be available to buy? sumtime in jan?

Comment

Yep, Jan.

Comment

Originally posted by Thorney View Post
                              Yep, Jan.
                              how much??? about?

Comment

Working...
                              X