Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Crack in my windscreen

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Crack in my windscreen

    Hi all

    Can anyone tell me if I can claim off my warrenty for a new windscreen, Yesterday I was sat in the doctors carpark with the engine running while I was waiting for my wife to come out, and heard this bang noise first I thought that it might have been something hitting the car, so I took a look around and couldn't see anything them I noticed that there was a big crack in the windscreen, that I sure it wasn't there when I drove in the carpark, and there is know crack so somehow the windscreen has just cracked, has this happened to anyone else, and can i claim on my insurance

    Please help

    Colin

  • #2
    if you have fully comp insurance (which you will have no doubt) you can get it replaced, just costs you windscreen excess but you will keep you no claims, if it is repairable it will cost you nothing.

    warranty....no chance

    Comment


    • #3
      Don't think there's much chance of getting it replaced under warranty. If you had the heaters on it may be that the heat on the windscreen has caused a stone chip to turn into a crack.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by gizbod View Post
        if you have fully comp insurance (which you will have no doubt) you can get it replaced, just costs you windscreen excess but you will keep you no claims, if it is repairable it will cost you nothing.

        warranty....no chance

        Yes I know about the insurance but I didn't want to spend the £60, if I can get it under warrenty

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by VXR_Al View Post
          Don't think there's much chance of getting it replaced under warranty. If you had the heaters on it may be that the heat on the windscreen has caused a stone chip to turn into a crack.
          There was deffinately now stone chip, so I believe that the windscreen is faulty.

          When I get back from Ireland I will go to my local dealer and find out

          Comment


          • #6
            I got mine replaced (last month I think it was) as a crack appeared at the bottom of the windscreen and was progressing up and across the screen. I asked the Autoglass technician his opinion and he advised me that it looked like a stone had hit close to the edge of the screen and had therefore resulted in a crack rather than a large chip. You might want to get an expert opinion when getting the glass replaced to see if it helps your case but I think the only way you would get a windscreen replaced under warranty would be if you noticed a crack on the glass before taking delivery of the car from the dealership.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by VXR_Al View Post
              I got mine replaced (last month I think it was) as a crack appeared at the bottom of the windscreen and was progressing up and across the screen. I asked the Autoglass technician his opinion and he advised me that it looked like a stone had hit close to the edge of the screen and had therefore resulted in a crack rather than a large chip. You might want to get an expert opinion when getting the glass replaced to see if it helps your case but I think the only way you would get a windscreen replaced under warranty would be if you noticed a crack on the glass before taking delivery of the car from the dealership.
              My crack is at the bottom in the centre, that sounds a bit like mine, bit there deffinatly is not crack there
              Did they do a good job and also did it have the sundvisor bit around the rear veiw mirror

              Comment


              • #8
                that crack is in the same place as mine, not sure if I have sight and light but I do have a big light grey thing under the centre rear view mirror, I try and take some photos tomorrow, i will also check again for stone chip but I'm sure there isn't one there

                Comment


                • #9
                  By all means speak to the dealership when they re-open after new year but I suspect that they will give you the same story I got - ie windscreen is not covered under warranty (unless found to be faulty from new when car picked up) due to the probability that it has been damaged by stone or similar damage during driving.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Terzo282 View Post
                    Hi all

                    Can anyone tell me if I can claim off my warrenty for a new windscreen, Yesterday I was sat in the doctors carpark with the engine running while I was waiting for my wife to come out, and heard this bang noise first I thought that it might have been something hitting the car, so I took a look around and couldn't see anything them I noticed that there was a big crack in the windscreen, that I sure it wasn't there when I drove in the carpark, and there is know crack so somehow the windscreen has just cracked, has this happened to anyone else, and can i claim on my insurance

                    Please help

                    Colin
                    Mine cracked the other week no chips or any damage.Had it repaired on my insurance but the fitter said it was a stress crack.It might be a fault when fitted I suppose you could try vaux to save you paying the excess.Rac windowscreens said mine would now be covered by them if it cracks again.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Such a pain
                      (http://www.vxronline.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=36236)

                      I had a previous model Astra sxi and the windscreen on that split in exactly the same way as yours has. Just an insurance job for me

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Terzo282 View Post
                        that crack is in the same place as mine, not sure if I have sight and light but I do have a big light grey thing under the centre rear view mirror, I try and take some photos tomorrow, i will also check again for stone chip but I'm sure there isn't one there
                        Do your lights turn themselves on when it gets dark, if so, you have Sight & Light. Also check the light dial to see if you have a setting marked A for Automatic. (although it is a little odd you don't know if your car has it when you spend that much on a car)

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I had this happen to me...came up from the middle of the bottom edge of the windscreen seemingly overnight...it was obviously not a stone chip so I took it to the dealer and they agreed to get it changed under warrenty...they didn't event take too much persuading really.

                          I'd had the car about a year too and they still replaced it

                          Looks like this is quite a common fault!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by KPGrimmy View Post
                            Do your lights turn themselves on when it gets dark, if so, you have Sight & Light. Also check the light dial to see if you have a setting marked A for Automatic. (although it is a little odd you don't know if your car has it when you spend that much on a car)
                            I bought the car second hand so I don't really know what optioal extras it has, and the seat dealer I got it from still have not sent me my owners manaul, and to answer the qestion yes I do have an a on my light switch and they do come on automatically (i just thought that this was standard)

                            many thanks for you're help

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by MrWhipp View Post
                              I had this happen to me...came up from the middle of the bottom edge of the windscreen seemingly overnight...it was obviously not a stone chip so I took it to the dealer and they agreed to get it changed under warrenty...they didn't event take too much persuading really.

                              I'd had the car about a year too and they still replaced it

                              Looks like this is quite a common fault!
                              That's good news as I just got back from Ireland and I'm going to my local dealer tomorrow, i will mention this post hopefully it will give me some proof that this is not a one off, who is you're dealerand would i be able to mention them

                              many thanks colin

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X