This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clio 197

Ok....I know you may think I am biased but, we have just taken a New Clio 197 in p/x, so thought I would give the Corsa's key rival, and winner of many a group test, a quick spin!

The journey lasted 600 yds!!!

I put the old foot down and thought it was broken, it has NO torque 0. I have a 75hp Corsa diesel that feels quicker than that. It is a genuinely poor interior for an 8k car let alone £16800 that he paid for it. I just turned around and drove straight back in genuine disbelief. I cannot fathom why any mag would prefer it to any other supermini. I didnt even try and go round corners and I magine its very good, as feel the brakes, but I parked it in a line of cars (its silver) and the person looking for it couldnt find it as its that anonymous.

So......if you are thinking of a Clio, you must drive one, you will be disappointed.

I actually suggested to the Sales dept keeping it to sell Corsa from as its that bad.
    Insignia VXR, quite nippy!

Auto Inparts.com
    exclusive automotive products
    www.autoinparts.com
    www.e-tech.uk.com

GREEN COTTON FILTERS,
    ETECH, SPARCO, PRECISION ENGINEERED WHEEL ACCESSORIES, MUC-OFF

Comment

Good To Hear Mate

Comment

Just to add......I have also just had a play with a Brabus Rocket that I found around the back!! Fun here today!!

Comment

You have to get the renault engines screaming before you get any decent performance out of them! Friend of mine has a clio 172 cup, and the 192 is nowhere near as spectacular as the cup!

Comment

Thats a great unbiased review there, all 600yards of it. I don't think Clarkson need worry

The 197 is a very capable car, not my cup of tea but ever so slightly better than what you think.

Comment

whats the brabus like?

Comment

Brabus Rocket?

That's a beast!!!

1320 NM torque (limited to 1.100)
                730 PS

0-100 km/h - 4 seconds
                0-200 km/h - 10,5 seconds
                0-300 km/h - 29,5 seconds

http://www.tuningblogger.de/uploaded...cket_CLS_1.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by VXR - xtc
                  whats the brabus like?
                  Over priced and very low!! Massively capable but in reality no quicker than my 600 (bound to say that!!)

Comment

Originally posted by caspy
                    Originally posted by VXR - xtc
                    whats the brabus like?
                    Over priced and very low!! Massively capable but in reality no quicker than my 600 (bound to say that!!)
                    Stupid automatic gearing...

The Monaro hasn't got automatic gearing, right?

Comment

Absolutely not!!!

Comment

Absolutely not!!!

Comment

Hi guys, Having seen the corsa vxr at a preview night I was a bit unimpressed and have ended up buying a 197. Of course everyone's tastes differ and that's a good thing. To give you my honest perspective. The car is not as in your face as the corsa but I wouldn't go as far to say it's 'anonymous'. I think the back end with the integrated diffuser really sets it apart from other hot hatches and since Friday I have genuinely had more looks, comments and pointing than any other car I've owned (I've owned a couple of really nice looking cars in the past). The engine doesn't sound anything special until you put your foot down but once you get to 4k revs and climbing the note really picks up a treat and the car really gets going. Above 7k rpm and you're flying. Inside, the seats really hold you in place although the corsa's seats look nicer - similar 197 seats are a £500 option. The shift light in the dash is a cool touch and the quality is of a high standard (compared to previous clios) and that's me having owned 2 civics from new before the clio so I know what quality is.

The corsa is a good looking car but I have a professional job where image is important and I need the more restrained looks of the 197 - the vxr is too much for me and the fact that the brand manager said that the wing mirrors will be the next M3 mirrors didn't fill me with confidence. The back end looks great but the yellow switch gear and piano black fascia don't IMO. I've owned a corsa c in the past and enjoyed owning it I might add.

One final thing, - when I see a corsa vxr on the road - I will respect it - I know what they can do but when I read comments from people like one in particular above - I genuinely think they don't actually know what they're talking about. Sure, we all have opinions - but some people seem to think that their oppinion is gospel and that everyone else should take heed.

The best advice is this - drive both and then make your mind up.

Cheers,

Martin
                          Prospective Corsa VXR owner.

Comment

your right everyone has there own opinion but dont think anyone on here would agree with u choosing a 197 over the vxr corsa !!!!!!!!!!
                            Arden Blue Vauxhall Vectra VXR 666 Gone But Not Forgotton

Comment

You're missing the point mate - I don't actually care and neither do the other people who have bought 197s - just like those with deposits on the vxr won't or at least shouldnt, give a toss either.

I don't need people's approval before I buy a car - too many people care too much about what other people say. The majority of the mags have put the cooper s ahead of the 197 - did I rush out and but a cooper s?

Anyone who actually has a brain will buy a car because they want to not because x amount of people give their opinion on it.

Finally - if you actually re-read what I've written you'll see that I'm not asking people to agree with me on this one - just giving my perspective. ffs it's folk like you im on about :wink:
                              Prospective Corsa VXR owner.

Comment

Working...
                              X