X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extremely Firm Ride on 18's?

Hi all,

Just had a test drive of the corsa today and what surprised me was how hard it appeared to ride!

I assume that all showroom cars have 18's so no-one has yet ridden on 17's. Although it was still acceptable, It was a much, much firmer ride than I expected! The magazines claim that the Corsa is a far more compliant ride than say a Cooper S. The Mini is a far softer ride however!

Not a complaint, and not something that will put me off buying the car. Just found it odd! I'll be interested to see the ride quality of the Clio 197!

Other than that, fun car. Seemed nice and nippy, but you can't really tell when keeping a car with 9 miles on it below 4500rpm!! What I did love was the way it digs in on corners. And the interior quality. For a Vauxhall I was very pleasantly surprised!! Overall the car felt very solid. From the way the boot slammed shut. To the weight of the doors. Overall very impressed! (Hoping the Clio disappoints!)

Comments!?

Cheers!

Mad

I guess thats the price you pay for having such low profiles. I used to think the depths of the civic type r tyre was low (45mm) until they brought out the fiesta ST which runs on 40mm tyres. Whereas the corsa 18" tyres are 35mm!!! Thats barely a tyre, more like a strip of rubber, which means some of the ride has to be comprimised surely. Altho it will be interesting to see how much difference there is between my ST and the corsa, as the ST is pretty firm, but not overly so.

Comment

I read somewhere that Vauxhall themselves said that the ride is much better on 17s. I personally think it looks pretty sweeeet on the 17s anyway so my mind is made up

Markus.

Comment

Originally posted by Markus
        I read somewhere that Vauxhall themselves said that the ride is much better on 17s. I personally think it looks pretty sweeeet on the 17s anyway so my mind is made up

Markus.
        I can think of many existing/previous car examples.

M3's always ran better on standard 18's than 19's
        New 911's are better on 18's than 19's.

The new Clio 197 F1 thing comes specifically with 17's so as not to mess with its cup chassis. The standard 197 however, has 18's as an option.

Finally the marketing men are winning over the engineers! (I have to admit , I am a marketing victim and would still probably spec 18's!)

However, neither a current M3 on 19's or a 911 on 19's feels as harsh to me as did that Corsa today! Thus my surprise.

Mad

Comment

If I'm right the Corsa VXR can be bought with IDS2 on it which should improve ride comfort and handling as it monitors and adjusts damper settings according to the road. Unlike IDS+ I believe that the IDS2 works well on british roads, however I don't think the demo cars have this fitted - although I could be wrong.

Comment

no IDS+ for the corsa, passive damper only.

Comment

Ah, must've been thinking about the Veccie

Comment

yep veccy IDS2 corsa more a go cart set up

Comment

As long as it don't include the bruised back and aching arms

Sure my wife thought I'd been beaten up after I went carting at the previews

Comment

I didn't think it was as harsh as the Astra on 19's?
                    I have a difference of opinion to you.

Comment

Having just been out in our demo, I like the ride on the 18"s, in fact I love it.

Comment

Working...
                      X