Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Belts and water pump

Belts and water pump?

So over the years I've learnt abit about my car and done quite a few things... Now I'd like to know something about the belts if anyone can help... As I know nothing.

Theres a belt near the left hand side of the engine near the air box, is this the aux belt? Mine makes a noise and wondered if this is an expensive or hard fix?

Also everyone keeps mentioning timing belt and water pump, is this something I should consider doing now the cars getting on abit.

Any help appreciated, thank you
    Last edited by Arron D; Yesterday, 05:47 AM.
    Corsa D Vxracing Various bits & bobs done
    http://www.vxronline.co.uk/forum/sho...rsa-D-VxRacing

Instagram Vxracing488

Hi mate,

Yes the small one that you can see is the Aux belt, and it powers the alternator, waterpump and AC (if you have it).

They are automatically tensioned so you shouldn't need to worry about it unless its stretched so much it squeals like a banshee - so unless its doing that or has visible cracks i'd leave well alone, like the water pump.

If you do want to change it its fairly easy and they are cheap...you just need a socket a breaker bar to back the tensioner off so you can remove it....best to note the route of the belt first...and refit is reverse of removal.

Timing belt is more complex with massive scope for knackering your engine but still fairly easy...the aux belt would need to come off to do the timing belt so if you are getting a garage to do that you can have the aux done for parts cost.

What mileage/age are you on now?
    Last edited by u33db; Yesterday, 01:24 PM.
    Corsa C 1.4 (SOLD), Corsa D SRI Turbo (SOLD), Facelift Corsa D 1.4 SE (SOLD), Now Corsa E VXR...plus about 20 other non VXs

Comment

Rough drawing of tensioner and where to put spanner to back it off;

Corsa C 1.4 (SOLD), Corsa D SRI Turbo (SOLD), Facelift Corsa D 1.4 SE (SOLD), Now Corsa E VXR...plus about 20 other non VXs

Comment

Ah hello mate hope your well

It makes a noise different to what it did before but not squealing bad.

I'm guessing the timing belt is under the plastic cover directly left of engine mate? Does that have a tendency to make a noise.

Its on 72k mate 2010

Thank you 😊
        Corsa D Vxracing Various bits & bobs done
        http://www.vxronline.co.uk/forum/sho...rsa-D-VxRacing

Instagram Vxracing488

Comment

Yeah not bad - was meant to be getting 2 tyres fitted today so i can get my 18s back on but Black Circles have sent the wrong tyres out!

Yeah timing belt is under the plastic cover and stretches all the way down to the bottom pulleys as well....shouldn't make a noise unless its frayed.

At that mileage i'd be tempted to get it done now as you are basically at the 10 year mark...better safe than sorry, especially if you need it for work etc

Comment

Working...
          X