Blue smoke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blue smoke

My friend noticed some blue smoke coming from exhaust other day, only happens under load at high revs whick makes me believe it will be valve stem seals / piston rings rather than turbo. Just wondered if anyone has ever used "wyns stop smoke" seems to have good reviews. Has anyone ever used it? Worth a try for £6!!!

I wouldn't use that stuff personally it's a band aid fix for a junker imo

Smoke under load is more likely to be turbo seals tbh

The stem seals usually appear on cold starts or pulling away from traffic lights etc

A compression test would eliminate the rings or piston 4 as a cause

What oil grade are you using at the moment?

And what's the mileage and is the car modded, if so what mods ?
    2009 Astra H Vxr arden blue uprated gearbox endcase with bigger bearings, 3" cobra catback non res with toyosport 2.5 double decat, mtc crossover delete and tophat

Planning to go stage 3/3.5 eventually

Comment

Originally posted by Andyb712 View Post
      I wouldn't use that stuff personally it's a band aid fix for a junker imo

Smoke under load is more likely to be turbo seals tbh

The stem seals usually appear on cold starts or pulling away from traffic lights etc

A compression test would eliminate the rings or piston 4 as a cause

What oil grade are you using at the moment?

And what's the mileage and is the car modded, if so what mods ?
      Ah thought it was other way round, can fit a new turbo but think valve seals/ piston rings are a bit out my depth 😂
      im using 5w40 oil may try 10w40!
      miles are 35k and it been mapped to 220hp with, 3" decat, airtec fmic, pipercross filter and injectors, (600 something cant remember proper cc)

Comment

The 5w40 oil was what I was going to recommend, when mapped the 5w30 is too thin at high temp in most cases

I,d be wary of the 10w40 as it wont give you the cold start protection

Odds are it's the decat and drop in back pressure overwhelming your turbo seals

If it was me I would look at an uprated hybrid core, the type With a staggered step gap total closure oil seal

You could try an oil restrictor bolt 1st, i think they are available for the corsa's too, in different sizes like 2.5 and 1mm restriction

Mine still smoked slightly with the 2.5mm bolt but stopped completely on the 1mm bolt

Might be worth a try the restrictor bolts always help with a decat at least on the astra they do

Mine was smoking a little bit even with a 6k old new gm turbo, reconditioned cylinder head and the uprated stem seals

Managed about 6k miles after the remap before it started smoking

Swapped from 5w30 to 5w40 and the 1mm restrictor and its been fine since done about 3-4k smoke free but still keeping an eye on it

If it starts again I'm buying one of these lol

https://www.turborebuild.co.uk/websh...-55559850.html
        Last edited by Andyb712; 8 July 2020, 12:21 AM.
        2009 Astra H Vxr arden blue uprated gearbox endcase with bigger bearings, 3" cobra catback non res with toyosport 2.5 double decat, mtc crossover delete and tophat

Comment

Think one like this would be ideal for yours if you decide to go down that route

https://www.turborebuild.co.uk/websh...bocharger.html

But as said above have a read on this post think something very similar is floating around on here but couldn't find the specific post by percy if memory serves

It's the bottom post of the 4 you want

https://www.ukcorsa-d.com/threads/oi...or-bolt.27497/
          Last edited by Andyb712; 8 July 2020, 12:43 AM.

Comment

The 5w40 oil was what I was going to recommend, when mapped the 5w30 is too thin at high temp in most cases

I,d be wary of the 10w40 as it wont give you the cold start protection

Odds are it's the decat and drop in back pressure overwhelming your turbo seals

If it was me I would look at an uprated hybrid core, the type With a staggered step gap total closure oil seal

You could try an oil restrictor bolt 1st, i think they are available for the corsa's too, in different sizes like 2.5 and 1mm restriction

Mine still smoked slightly with the 2.5mm bolt but stopped completely on the 1mm bolt

Might be worth a try the restrictor bolts always help with a decat at least on the astra they do

Mine was smoking a little bit even with a 6k old new gm turbo, reconditioned cylinder head and the uprated stem seals

Managed about 6k miles after the remap before it started smoking

Swapped from 5w30 to 5w40 and the 1mm restrictor and its been fine since done about 3-4k smoke free but still keeping an eye on it

If it starts again I'm buying one of these lol

https://www.turborebuild.co.uk/websh...-55559850.html
            Thanks for the help mate, in terms of restrictor bolt, do you just mean the banjo bolt that comes off oil feed line with a smaller hole?

Comment

Originally posted by Tinker_Man View Post

Thanks for the help mate, in terms of restrictor bolt, do you just mean the banjo bolt that comes off oil feed line with a smaller hole?
              Yes mate if I was you I would order a few different types restrictor wise

Use the least restrictive you can get away with

Comment

Yes mate if I was you I would order a few different types restrictor wise

Use the least restrictive you can get away with
                Thanks for sharing the knowledge mate! Do you know what size bolt and thread pitch they are by any chance?

Comment

This is what you want

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/332485712444
                  Last edited by Andyb712; 8 July 2020, 09:18 PM.

Comment

thanks mate, although that says astra, are they the same turboa as corsa?

Another thing as there is a drop in pressure it means the boiling point will lower too, you had no problems with burning oil?

Ill be tempted to get it on the lathe at work and bore it out to 2mm maybe🤔

Comment

Yes mate they are the same size

For corsa and astra k03 and k04 use same size banjo

See the the link I posted to the corsa forum, bottom post

Up to you if you bore it out can buy them at 2.5 and 2 mm already, seen one at 1.5 mm before

Comment

Working...
                      X