This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange going ons with the fuel?

Just noticed some strange stuff happening with my fuel gauge. I always keep the trip computer on how much fuel I have left. About I week ago the car had roughly 90miles left on the trip computer. Took the car out for a drive then the fuel gauge started rising and the trip went all the way upto 130miles. Was puzzled but didn't think much of it. Filled the car up a few days ago and had around 340miles on the trip. Drove it about 30miles and the trip went down to 330miles. Took the car out this morning and turned the car on. The fuel gauge has dropped nearly a quarter and the trip has 280miles on the clock. It's really confusing me as why it's jumping up and down so suddenly. Anyone have any ideas

p.s. I apologise if this doesn't make much sense. Tried to explain it the best I can

i think simple answer is how hard you drive it. like when i run low on fuel i'll slow down and be more economical the range rise's cause i'm using less fuel. but when your floor your car or travel at faster speeds your less economical thus there being more fuel used and a lesser range.

Corsa VXR now sold

Comment

Its workin out the average mileage you would get drivin the way you are at the time. It'l drop quicker if ur flooring it but if your takin it easy it can rise. Hence why the 2 mile trip to tescos took 25 mile off the clock when ma mate was drivin

xx

:vxr:M8 tarmac terrorist:vxr: (M8 TT's)

R.I.P Kal...thoughts with your family
      R.I.P Kevin...Only the good die young... xx

Comment

I understand that the fuel goes up and down depending on how you drive the car. That's not really what I was trying to say was the problem. What I noticed is when I switched the engine off last night the fuel guage was close to full and the trip computer had around 330miles on it. When I turned the engine on this morning the fuel gauge had dropped about 1/8 and the trip had 280miles. All this without the car driving. That's what I'm finding strange. It's as if the car doesn't know how much fuel is in the car

Comment

Originally posted by rickyrix2009vxr View Post
          I understand that the fuel goes up and down depending on how you drive the car. That's not really what I was trying to say was the problem. What I noticed is when I switched the engine off last night the fuel guage was close to full and the trip computer had around 330miles on it. When I turned the engine on this morning the fuel gauge had dropped about 1/8 and the trip had 280miles. All this without the car driving. That's what I'm finding strange. It's as if the car doesn't know how much fuel is in the car
          Is the needle still in the same position on the fuel gauge?
          Good chance the float or whatever is used to measure how much fuel is in the tank has got stuck etc?

Astra

Comment

Originally posted by rickyrix2009vxr View Post
            id get that checked out.

Rabbid Tuned - WG Motorworks
            www.wgmotorworks.co.uk

Comment

Working...
            X