This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spanner light on and reving high!

Coming back from work tonight and having a play as you do when I got home I let the car cool down for 3-4 mins before turning it off. Afterwards I gave her a quick clean using the pressure washer, afterwards when I turned her over the spanner light can on and didn't go off, took her for a drive around the block all seemed well until now, started her up spanner light didn't come on but the car is reving its self at 1500 RMP on idle or very slightly above. can anyone shed any light on this ????????
    CORSA VXR & NISSAN 200sx Turbo!!!!!

Nissan running at 260+ BHP !!!!! bye bye ST!!

1990 Starlet GT turbo project ! running Subaru WRX turbo !

Originally posted by corsaopc View Post
    Coming back from work tonight and having a play as you do when I got home I let the car cool down for 3-4 mins before turning it off. Afterwards I gave her a quick clean using the pressure washer, afterwards when I turned her over the spanner light can on and didn't go off, took her for a drive around the block all seemed well until now, started her up spanner light didn't come on but the car is reving its self at 1500 RMP on idle or very slightly above. can anyone shed any light on this ????????
    wiring. sounds like a fault i had. try starting the car up, opening the bonet n throw water over it. if its the same fault i had the car wi rev itself up. water getting into the wiring somehow. the dealership i took my car to stripped the whole loom apart and couldnt find a fault with it but since they put it back together no probs at all. hth
    sigpic
    Astra

Comment

Just took it out for a test drive again nice and steady seems to be boosting and driving fine but every now and again revs up and down and then settles ?
      Last edited by corsaopc; 2 October 2009, 08:25 PM.

Comment

any chance water has got into the plugs,you didnt clean under the bonnet did you

Comment

Just to it out for a test drive again nice and steady seems to be boosting and driving fine but every now and again revs up and down and then settles ?
          yeah very intermitent fault. again if its the same as what was wrong with mine it only happened in the wet or just after i had washed my car. sometimes it would go into limp mode with the spanner light on and sometimes the spanner light came on but didnt go into limp mode. dealer replaced throttle position sensor, amm but still had the same problem. then it clicked when it was happening (wet conditions) and they checked the loom over, stripped and put back. 1 yr on running perfect
          sigpic
          Astra

Comment

Originally posted by hoggy a View Post
            any chance water has got into the plugs,you didnt clean under the bonnet did you
            Just snow foam the outside and rinsed off, now the car was fully warmed up before giving it the beans and cooled and down but i proberly didn't give the engine enough time to cool down before washing it.

Originally posted by booz1982 View Post
            yeah very intermitent fault. again if its the same as what was wrong with mine it only happened in the wet or just after i had washed my car. sometimes it would go into limp mode with the spanner light on and sometimes the spanner light came on but didnt go into limp mode. dealer replaced throttle position sensor, amm but still had the same problem. then it clicked when it was happening (wet conditions) and they checked the loom over, stripped and put back. 1 yr on running perfect

It does sound the same as you'res fella ! seems ok now but will get it checked monday ! does everyone agree ?

Comment

[QUOTE=corsaopc;883734]Just snow foam the outside and rinsed off, now the car was fully warmed up before giving it the beans and cooled down afterwards but I proberly didn't give the engine enough time to cool down before washing it.

It does sound the same as you'res fella ! seems ok now but will get it checked monday ! does everyone agree ?

Comment

did you wash under the bonnet at all? it wouldnt matter if you left the car to cool down before you washed it, should be totally irrelevant. it sounds as though it could be some form of electrical fault involving the spark on one of the cylinders, could be a whole whost of things, but all down to electrics on the car and possibly involving the water. i wouldnt recommend getting any water on any of the parts under the bonnet as it could trigger such a fault.

Comment

Originally posted by Arctic141 View Post
                  did you wash under the bonnet at all? it wouldnt matter if you left the car to cool down before you washed it, should be totally irrelevant. it sounds as though it could be some form of electrical fault involving the spark on one of the cylinders, could be a whole whost of things, but all down to electrics on the car and possibly involving the water. i wouldnt recommend getting any water on any of the parts under the bonnet as it could trigger such a fault.

I didn't wash under the bonnet, seems a bit touch and go now

Comment

yeh bud, only thing i could suggest is maybe take it down the stealers on monday and get them to give it a look over, just make them aware of all the symptoms. it may clear up but i would definately get them to check it over.

Comment

Originally posted by Arctic141 View Post
                      yeh bud, only thing i could suggest is maybe take it down the stealers on monday and get them to give it a look over, just make them aware of all the symptoms. it may clear up but i would definately get them to check it over.
                      Yeah I reckon I will be usual dealer i an hor away but there is a dealer closer can any dealership look at it ? I had the international warrenty cert signed so this will mean any dealer can take look right ?

Comment

I had the car/spanner light coming on on my previous Corsa VXR during heavy rain due to water getting in at the top of the fuse box in the engine bay. I got rid of the car because of a combination of reasons but the dealership were going to fit a new part (a plastic guard to cover where the wiring goes into the top of the fuse box) in an attempt to avoid the fault. Because I got rid of the car they fitted the part to my current Corsa VXR insrtead.

Comment

Comment

I see and did it work ? I wonder if I should tell the dealer about this so he puts one the same.

Comment

I see and did it work ? I wonder if I should tell the dealer about this so he puts one the same.
                              Honest answer is I don't know if it worked as it was never put on the car as I got rid of the car with the problem before dealership got the part in, that's why they put it on my current Corsa for me just as a preventative measure.

Comment

Working...
                              X