This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Corsa VXR advice & tips request

Hi Everyone, I have just ordered a new Corsa VXR in Arden Blue (liked the Red also but was concerned about the fading pink affect lol) and having owned diesel Golf's for the last couple of years want to make sure I break the car in correctly and generally treat the car with the respect it deserves

Firstly I would appriciate any advice on breaking the car in, is it just like a normal car? i.e. for first 500 miles or so drive gently then slowly increase the engine load?

Also the dealer mentioned on a test drive of their car that you should leave it 20 or 30 seconds after a hard run to let turbo cool down but I have also been advised that it should be 2 or 3 minutes and after every single drive in the car - which version is correct? (I am assuming you shouldnt hit turbo hard until oil warmed up well lol - turbo I assume is around 2000rpm mark?)

Last question (honest!) after reading a few posts here I saw most people are using the higher octane petrol, is this just due to engine performance gains or for more serious reasons, i.e. better engine/turbo care?

Sorry for all the questions, any advice gratefully teceived - as you can guess I am rather impatiently waiting for the car

Hi there welcome to the forum mate

As for breaking in i took it easy and dropped the Oil just over 1000 miles

Engines are bench ran before they are put in the engine bay so up to you if you want to run it in or just have fun in the car but give it a nice gentle push.

Warm up is a must i allow 15-20 mins before i go past 2500RPM and cooling down wise last mile or so take it very easy try not to use the boost let it idle for a minute and switch off.

Ive used V-power from day one!

Oh one last thing Enjoy your car
    Corsa Has Left The Building

Comment

Thank you very much for the advice Nath, cant wait for the car

Dealer hasnt got a delivery date yet, think he's punishing me for pushing him hard to get a bargain lol

Comment

Nooo! Dealr rang me today to say it wont be delivered until the end of the month...argh! lol was impatient enough when I thought it would be a week!!

Comment

Originally posted by Nath View Post

Engines are bench ran before they are put in the engine bay so up to you if you want to run it in or just have fun in the car but give it a nice gentle push.

Warm up is a must i allow 15-20 mins before i go past 2500RPM and cooling down wise last mile or so take it very easy try not to use the boost let it idle for a minute and switch off.

I agree with all this, look after it and you will be fine.... but just enjoye it.

Rabbid Tuned - WG Motorworks
          www.wgmotorworks.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Nath View Post

was reading from one well know member on here that to warm up the car is ok 6-8 minutes quiet drive, than you can start running it hard, but also have to admit, once is here -20 deg C, the car is warmed up after well after 15 minutes, also if is outside +30, it need just few minutes, so i think if you want be sure just check the water temp

but all is well said

also that my mapped car already dont like normal 95 fuel, so i am not trying filling it again with 95, now just 99+
            MB E63s AMG
            MB C63 AMG & Performance Package
            Megane R.S. 250 CUP - Gone, But Not Forgotten
            Opel Corsa OPC / VXR - Gone, But Not Forgotten

Comment

welcome mate,just take it easy from cold and cool down.
              use shell v-power or tesco 99,and enjoy a good car.
              sigpic

Comment

hello .as for super unleaded i never realy noticed any power gain but the car does run a bit smoother,and it pinks sometimes (pre ignition, slight popping/ticking noise )when driving in a high gear with non super, only noticed it in summer with windows open ,i use tesco 99 as shell/bp is only 97ron i think, petrols so bloody expensive a few pence extra isnt going to make much difference!

Comment

Cheers for all the comments guys, I am lucky enough to have a Tesco garage that sells 99ron very close by, think my wallet will have a shock tho as I am switching from diesel!!

Comment

V-power is 99 Octane
                    Corsa Has Left The Building

Comment

Working...
                    X