X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My car has died..

Hi guys

I need your help, my car died yesterday. I drove to Chelmsford (approx 23 miles) and smelt burnt clutch smell, checked oil and water, all fine, engine bay very hot and smelt gross and bonnet so hot couldn't touch it. Car had to be recovered and is now at hideously unhelpful vauxhall garage.

What do you all think of this, garage have told me that the gear box and clutch may have to be replaced, I'm livid not only because I don't have a car now for god knows how long (when they can be bothered to fix it) but they have told me that it may not be covered under the warranty I'm looking at a lot of money if its not a manufacturing fault, just wondered if anyone else has had any problems with clutch or gear box? Car is 2 years old, has done 30,000 miles and was serviced a month ago.

what vauxhal dealer is it at

Comment

Are you tuned or standard?

Astra

Comment

Hi TashaN, not seen you on here for a long time!!!

Why are they saying not to warrenty when the car is only 2 years old?? I take it you are talking about Toomeys in Southend??

Comment

Originally posted by hedgehogUK View Post
          Hi TashaN, not seen you on here for a long time!!!

Why are they saying not to warrenty when the car is only 2 years old?? I take it you are talking about Toomeys in Southend??
          did u get yours from there

Comment

Originally posted by hedgehogUK View Post
            Why are they saying not to warrenty when the car is only 2 years old??
            They could have it down as abuse either because of how it's been driven or because it's tuned - warranty won't cover abuse

Astra

Comment

but how do they detect abuse

Comment

Originally posted by nurburgring24 View Post
                but how do they detect abuse
                Many ways - ecu records over revs etc (if you were to drop it in to 2nd rather than 4th causing an over rev)

Astra

Comment

Originally posted by IanJ View Post
                  Many ways - ecu records over revs etc (if you were to drop it in to 2nd rather than 4th causing an over rev)
                  oh ok mate thanks

Comment

Originally posted by nurburgring24 View Post
                    did u get yours from there
                    I got my first one from there!!

Comment

Doesn't sound good.

Rabbid Tuned - WG Motorworks
                      www.wgmotorworks.co.uk

Comment

i just know that me mate with his Corsa OPC had some problem with clutch and it was replaced under warranty...
                        MB E63s AMG
                        MB C63 AMG & Performance Package
                        Megane R.S. 250 CUP - Gone, But Not Forgotten
                        Opel Corsa OPC / VXR - Gone, But Not Forgotten

Comment

have they said why the gearbox and clutch needs to be replaced? they don't normally just fail, you usually get some warning signs like the gearbox grinding and not going into gear and the clutch slipping etc.

Comment

The clutch is only covered for 1 year or 20,000 miles anyway so thats out of the question under warrenty. So your looking at around £1000 fitted for the clutch.. And if abuse can be found that would leave you responsible for the gearbox too..

Comment

if you are standard or more or less standard gearbox will be covered but clutch won't new clutch £200 new box £1900 plus vat + £600 fitting in my local vauxhall

Comment

Working...
                              X